Monday, April 2, 2018

The Rat with Red and Blue Eyes- Don't Talk to Strangers

Adventure 3 – Don’t Talk to Strangers
No matter where you are, there are legends of spirit hitchhikers. Some legends end in death while others end in the disappearance of people. There are many stories that surround certain ghosts. Some spirits search for revenge, some are demons masquerading as weak people, and others are looking for closure. Because there are rumors of dangerous spirits, Ricky and his friend, Jett, are going to get rid of these spirits with a book of exorcist prayers and commands.
While searching for spirits, Jett asks Ricky, “Do you think we might find any animal spirits? What about rat spirits?”
“We already encountered the Rat of Decay two days ago, so it wouldn’t surprise me?”
“When are you going to marry Becky?”
“What kind of question is that?”
“A normal one.”
“I’ll marry her when I get a little older. We’re still young rats.”
“Can you tell me what Jasper and you did yesterday? He didn’t tell me much.”
“We got rid of the Princess of Many Faces and saved a human named Pepper yesterday.”
“That’s probably why he didn’t say much. I don’t blame him. Was she a pretty human woman?”
“I guess so.  Why is that even a concern for you?”
“I could’ve told Becky what you said.”
“I’d toss you in the trash.”
“Really? I thought you were supposed to be merciful.”
“You’re a rat. It shouldn’t bother you.”
“Why did you even bring me along?”
“If seeing a human in a positive light can change your brother, it can probably change you.”
A spirit appears before the two rats along the road and asks them, “Can either of you lead me home?”
“I can,” Ricky says before saying a prayer that sends the spirit to where they’re supposed to go.
“You know your plan isn’t going to work if we can’t find a spirit who’s gonna-”
Jett is interrupted by the sounds of a carriage and horse going out of control in the forest. The two rush to find a horse being pulled into a small well with a crashed carriage. A pastor is patching up what appears to be a prisoner who suffered injuries from the crash. The bones of the horse fly out after it somehow fit into the small well and half a person comes crawling out of it. Both Ricky and the pastor chant exorcist prayers, which makes the spirit burn to ashes, which disappear into the air.
The pastor looks down at Ricky and says, “Never in my years did I think I would see an exorcist rat.”
“I never thought I’d see a horse fit into a well like that.”
“And you can talk too. What is your name, my little friend?”
“Ricky. What is yours father?”
“My name is Father Urien. What are you and your friend doing here at this time of day?”
“I’m trying to protect the people of Inanis and teach my friend how good humans can be.”
“That is very interesting. You have to be a miracle from Heaven above. I’m here to take this man to a convent here in town. He’s trying to repent for all the things he’s done in life.”
“He looks like a prisoner,” Jett says.
“This man escaped from prison months ago.”
“Shouldn’t you turn him into the authorities for punishment for his crimes?”
“He’s already been punished by the One whose name is above all others and now he wants to make up for his mistakes. The Royals do not have power over Him.”
“That’s true. I thought humans made the royals to have power over Him, but I see that there’s some don’t see it that way,” Jett says as his respect for the humans grows.
“Thank you for opening your eyes to that. Can you help me get my friend over to the convent? I’ll be sure to reward you.”
“Of course,” Ricky says.
Father Urien helps the criminal walk as Ricky and Jett travel alongside them. Since rats have a better sense of spirits than humans do, the two lead them in a direction that allows them to avoid any hostile spirits.
“Tell me human,” Jett says to the criminal, “What did you do to be sent to jail?”
“My name is Ziv and my deeds are too horrifying to speak of. Let’s just say I have more bodies than a cemetery and stole more than a tax collector. After escaping prison, I thought I could just relax until I died, but visions and demons kept clawing at my soul until I couldn’t take it anymore. I met Father Urien after that and this is how I got to where I am now.”
“And now you think you can be saved after all you’ve done?”
Father Urien says, “It’s how grace works. I too was in a similar situation to this man’s and obtained redemption.”
“If you say so.”
They make it to the edge of Inanis, but a small group of spirits and demons prevents them from leaving the forest.
“We’re going to clear a path for Ziv then we’ll take care of these dark spirits,” Father Urien says to Ricky.
“Right.”
“What are you talking about father? I won’t just leave you,” Ziv says.
“You’ll have to. They sense the darkness within your soul and they’ll use it against us all, so you have to escape.”
“You should go too, Jett. It’s not safe for you here.”
“Tch. If you say so,” both Jett and Ziv seem to say at the same time.
Father Urien takes out a dagger and sword from his robe. Both have marks of the Caretaker on them and seem to shine in an unusual way despite the lack of sunlight in the sky.
“I used to be a knight in the royal army, so I’m no stranger to combat. Let’s go.”
Ricky and Father Urien clear a path for both of their friends with their prayers and strength until their friends are able to safely leave the forest.
“Are you okay father?” Ricky asks as he notices the scratches on Father Urien’s body and face.
“Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. For thou art with me.”
“Father!” Ziv screams as he runs back with Jett on his shoulders.
“What are you doing Ziv?!”
The spirits fly over Ricky and Father Urien and encircle Ziv and Jett. They whisper in his ears to go back to his violent ways and get rid of Father Urien.
“Don’t listen to them, Ziv! Do what I told you!” Jett says.
“I’m not sure if it’ll work now!”
“You have to have a little faith!”
“I…I will! Begone spirits! My soul doesn’t belong to you!”
A light emanates from Ziv’s body which dispels the spirits around him. Both Ricky and Father Urien ask their friends if they’re okay.
Ziv and Jett smile at each other before looking at their friends and telling them that, “We’re better than okay.”
“Ziv, I can see that your soul is ready to accept redemption.”
“Thank you, father, but I’m sure I still have much to do.”
“Of course. This process of living a good and honest life is never easy or simple.”
“But I’m sure it’ll be worth it. Thank you, Ricky and Jett, for helping us.”
“There’s no thanks necessary. We’re happy to help,” Ricky says.
“Is it okay if I see you again Ziv?” Jett asks.
“It goes without saying. You two can come visit us anytime you like.”
After saying goodbye to their new friends, Ricky asks, “I’m surprised you made a new friend. A human friend on top of that.”

“I’m surprised too. They’re not all that bad. Even the criminal ones.”

No comments:

Post a Comment