Friday, April 20, 2018

Decaying Kingdom, Everlasting Love - Chapter 9 - The Result of a Self-Made god

Chapter 9 – The Result of a Self-Made god
The continuous descent into the earth’s core is taking a toll not so much on the couple’s energy, but mental energy. They never got to mourn for their family and friends nor have they had much of a break. What keeps them moving is each other, their faith, and their hope for a better tomorrow.
“Hey, do you see that person ahead of us or have I gone crazy?” Cinis asks.
“I see them too,” Favilla answers, “Maybe they’re trying to light the fire at the center of the earth like us.”
“Hey!”
The man turns around to reveal a demon wearing the skin of a human who’s wearing a sackcloth with four tendrils coming out of its body.
“Oh heck, do you know who that is?” Cinis says as he pulls out his swords.
“I know. The threats we’re going to face are going to worse as we get closer to our destination.”
What they are speaking of is the devil man that is spoken of in legends. He was a man who tried to make his own set of rules. He didn’t follow the ways of Sanctor nor the rule of Senium and tried to make up his own. Be his own god in other words. Instead, he fell into the same darkness and decay Senium did and just became a freak of nature. A devil. He was then cursed to wear his old skin and the sackcloth he killed his own children and in.
The devil man charges at the couple with his tendrils. Cinis tries to cut off his tendrils, but he can’t slice through them as if they were made of steel. Favilla arrows are deflected by the devil man’s tail, so she can only do so much.
“Cursed devil! We will pass you and light the fires at the center of the earth!” Cinis exclaims as his rage grows.
He unleashes an onslaught of slashes, stabs, and blows and finishes with a leaping spin attack, which breaks apart the devil man’s tendrils and tail. The devil man falls to the ground with an arm out.
He says, “Have mercy on me then! I am here to do the same thing.”
Cinis points one of his swords at the devil man’s throat while Favilla has an arrow aimed for his head.
“And why should we believe you, devil man? We know what you did,” Cinis says.
“Because Sanctor will redeem me as I show my devotion to him! I’ve had a change of heart, I swear it! Kill me if you don’t believe me.”
“I’ll believe you if you explain yourself.”
“I’m still alive because of Him and He’s shielded me from dangers when I protected other people from decay. He told me that He still loved me, so I’m going to repay my debt in full by relighting the world and the sun.”
“…Fine. I believe you.”
Cinis helps the devil man up and the group travels together.
“Thank you so much. Now when we get down to the earth’s core, there will be a man worse than two of me. He will be a challenge, so prepare yourselves.”
“We’ve already been through much,” Favilla says.
“Oh, I believe you. Just one look at your faces tells me your entire story.”
“Who told you about the lighting of the earth’s core?”
“It’s known throughout the world in all kingdoms. Where are you kids from?”
“Fornax.”
“Oh, that place is where they train people to relight the earth and the sun.”
“Relight? This has happened more than once?”
“Yes, ever since man’s first sin. I roughly recall it happening five times already. They mustn’t have told you yet because you two were trained to be heirs of fire. King and queen of the flame. Now that’s something that hasn’t happened. That should make the fire last longer.”
“It’s usually one person that does this?”
“It’s usually one person, but it can’t be the same person who did it last time.”
“So we’ll survive this lighting process then?”
“Of course, but I can’t promise it’ll be pleasant.”
“How many years does the fire last?”
“Around ten thousand if someone does it.”
“If?”
“The man at the core says if you sacrifice your most treasured loved one then you can light the fire without experiencing the burning process, though the fire will only last five thousand years. You can tell the difference between the people if you see embers flickering around them. I’m still surprised that they sent you two here.”
“Fornax has fallen.”
“That’s a shame, but I’m sure you’ll resurrect it. Were your parents nobles by any chance?”
“Yes, they got that position through hard work.”
“Fornax nobles are usually better than any other nobles in the world, but nobles like the ones your parents were sound like great people who could’ve relit the earth and sun.”
“They trained us instead though and no one ever mentioned it to us.”
“That must mean that they were chosen by Fornax to relight the fire but chose to make you do it instead.”
Cinis and Favilla look at each other.
“Oh, well I’m sure they still loved you!”
“We know, but…”
The earth’s core is in sight in a huge cavern with a single figure sitting by it. The three eagerly walk towards it but are stopped by Senium himself who appears out of a portal. A rotting devil that barely resembles the angel he once was.
Senium says, “You will not take this victory from me.”
“Do not interfere with us devil!” the devil man says.
“Speak for yourself devil man.”
“You two will have to relight the fire by yourselves. I’ll hold him off.”
“I don’t think so!”
The devil man pushes Senium back into the portal.
Senium cries out, “Close it!”
The portal slowly closes by an unseen force.
“Thank you…I’ll be seeing You soon,” the devil man can be heard saying before the portal closes.
“Are you ready Favilla?”
“I don’t know Cinis. That man over there might be too tough for us to defeat.”
“Don’t lose hope Favilla! I know we can do this.”
“I don’t know…”
“…Do you remember that battle song our parents used to sing us?”
“Yeah…”
“Sing it with me.”
“Cinis.”
“Trust me. It’ll help you.”
“Okay.”
Wake up!
Get up!

Wake up!
Get up!

Hurry up!
Let's go!
The enemy is behind us
They show no mercy
They leave no prisoners
They intimate you with their presence

Listen to the beating of my heart
Trust me
I will defend you with my life
And dedicate myself to you as I carry you across the battlefield

Come on!
Grab my hand!
I know you're stronger than this
You've always been able to overcome your weakness
Now crawl through this next one with me
I have faith that you'll make it through

Look at my face
I will always care about you
I will stand by your side
And face the pain with you

If you can't walk, crawl
Whatever you do, keep moving!
I will always be with you
Hold onto me and you'll make it through

Hold on!
Hold on!
Hold on!
Now breathe...we're safe...I knew you could do it”
“Better now?”
“Yeah…”
Favilla kisses Cinis.
“Better.”

The couple embraces one more time before facing their final challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment