Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Decaying Kingdom, Everlasting Love - Chapter 3 - Vices

Chapter 3 – Vices
Things are truly simmering down in Fornax with both external and internal threats dealt with. The three kings and sectors can now peacefully debate on what they should do next, which gives Cinis and Favilla some downtime. Politics isn’t exactly their thing even though they were taught to be involved in it. Their new and improved positions allow them to disregard their parents’ advice, but not be scolded for doing so. Regardless, they walk the kingdom’s streets to find somewhere to relax.
“Where do you think we should go?” Cinis asks.
“I know a perfect place, which is at the top of one of the universal’s churches. It has a nice garden roof that we can spend some time at, but first, we have to eat lunch first.”
“It’s brunch. We haven’t eaten breakfast.”
“You can call it whatever you want as long as you pay for it.”
“Of course.”
What Cinis and Favilla don’t know, is that there are two agents of decay who have snuck into Fornax to eliminate them. Since the decay has a hive mind, they’re able to seamlessly give each other information. The couple picks out an outside restaurant that they like going to. One of the nearby stores has a sale on bracelets and accessories.
“I’m going to quickly go see what they have,” Favilla says.
“And I’ll wait here, but whatever you get, it comes out of your pocket.”
“That’s fine. You’ve already given me tons of gifts.”
“Exactly. I’ll wait here for our food to come out and call you over when it’s here.”
“Thanks.”
Favilla kisses Cinis on the head before heading off. One of the agents of decay uses this opportunity to draw Cinis away from Favilla so she can kill him.
“Mind if I sit here for a second,” she says, “I’m a bit tired from walking.”
“Go ahead. You’ll have to leave when my girlfriend gets back though,” Cinis responds.
“That’s fine.”
Cinis looks at the woman to see a beautiful maiden. She has blond hair, perfectly smooth skin, a pink dress, blue eyes, a beauty mark on her face, and lots of makeup. Despite her beauty, Cinis can’t help but feel that there’s something odd about her face. He looks away so if Favilla comes back, she won’t suspect him of ogling at her.
“You’re Cinis, aren’t you?”
“That I am. Are you a fan?”
“I am. Do you always carry your two swords with you?”
“Yes, because they give me a sense of pride and I’ll never know when trouble will appear.”
“That’s true, especially with these times. Why aren’t you looking at me?”
“I’m seeing what Favilla is doing,” he says as he can barely see her in the store.
“I’m not a fan of her.”
“Why’s that?”
“Don’t you think she’s a spoiled brat? You seem like a loyal man, so you must buy her stores of gifts.”
“That’s right. I do buy her stores of gifts. Is there something wrong with that?”
“There is if she takes advantage of you.”
“I’m sure she’s not,” he says with a sour expression as if he doesn’t believe what he’s saying.
“Why don’t you walk me home? I’m not that far from here. You’ll be back before your girlfriend comes back.”
“I’m sorry, but I told her I’ll wait here.”
“But I’m a fan. I thank you every day and honor your name among the heroes of this kingdom.”
“I thank you for that, but I have to stay here. How about I sign something for you so you’ll have something to remember our meeting by? A waiter must have a quill pen around here. Huh?”
The agent disappears after seeing that she wasn’t getting anywhere with Cinis.
“What are you looking for Cinis?” Favilla says as she walks back empty-handed.
“One of my fans was here. I wonder where she went.”
“You have fans? I wonder where mine are.”
“I’m sure they’re around here somewhere.”
“You think so?”
“Who wouldn’t be a fan of an archer who shot an arrow at the sun and made it pour down cleansing fire?”
“Well, who wouldn’t be a fan of a knight who put two swords together and made one towering army destroying light sword?”
“I think we’re both pretty great.”
“Me too.”
After eating brunch, Cinis and Favilla travel to the universal church with a garden rooftop, but since it’s quite a far distance away, they decide to make a couple stops. One of the stops is a small street celebration for the recent victories the kingdom has had. Cinis and Favilla find a few of their fans and show off their skills to them. A selection of Favilla dolls catch Favilla’s attention and she checks them out. An agent of decay has made them to get her attention.
“Do you like them? I made them myself.”
“Thank you for making them. I wonder if someone made dolls of Cinis too. Can you make them?”
“Possibly, but they probably won’t be as popular as the Favilla dolls.”
“Probably, but I’d still like to give one to Cinis and his parents. They’d love it.”
“Why are you still with Cinis? I’m sure the man is tired of buying you things.”
“I’m sure of that. I cool down every now and then because I know he tries to keep me happy.”
“I can do more. If you want the kingdom or even the world, then you can have it if you lend me your ear.”
“I might want a lot, but I don’t want that much. Thanks for the offer.”
Favilla puts the doll of herself down back where it was and finds Cinis. She leads him to where the dolls were, but they’ve disappeared along with the agent of decay. Children dressed in Cinis and Favilla outfits find the couple and shower them with praise and ask for their signatures. A small, shy girl walks up to Cinis and gives him a doll of himself as a gift. Favilla gets jealous and looks around to see if she can find the stand where the Favilla dolls were. Cinis then makes a Favilla doll with the help of the little girl. It’s not as well made since they made it in a short amount of time, but Favilla loves it anyways.
After enjoying themselves at the small celebration, the couple leaves to go to their original destination until they get sidetracked again by a group of knights are sparing in a large public space with gates around them. Cinis leaps into the ring to show off to Favilla. What he and the other knights don’t know, is that one of the knights is an extra member and an agent of decay. After humiliating three knights, Cinis faces off against him.
He uses two knives against Cinis’ two swords. Both fight using mostly offense and counter attacks. The agent of decay is fighting for real and tries to kill Cinis.
“Hey watch it, man. We’re just sparing,” Cinis says.
“Oh, is the mighty Cinis of a real challenge?” the agent says back.
“It’s on then!”
Cinis fights for real and every knick and small cuts is a deep cut for the agent of decay since Cinis’ blades are infused with fire and light. He kneels to Cinis and gives in and quickly runs to away to try to heal but becomes dust in an alley. Meanwhile, people cheer for Cinis’ victory. Favilla enters the ring to congratulate him and kisses him. The two embrace and kiss in front of the crowd then Cinis thanks the knights for the honor of fighting and the crowd for the honor they give him.
After that small distraction, they are distracted again by a victory parade accompanied by a crowd who’s following them. The couple stands by the side and watches the parade pass by. An agent of decay stands just behind Favilla.
She says, “It’s been a great day, hasn’t it?”
“It has. Have you been following us? Are you a fan?” Favilla says.
“Sort of a fan. I’ve been following you and I’ve noticed your style.”
“Do you like my fashion sense? Cinis always says I look beautiful?”
“But does he really mean it?”
“He better.”
“Don’t you think you’d look better with a little makeup on?”
“What? Did my mom send you? I don’t like wearing it. Cinis says I look better than all of the other girls who wear makeup and I agree with him. Girls who wear makeup are ashamed of their natural looks in my opinion.”
The agent feels a bit insulted, but she continues talking, “I could help you look even more beautiful than all of the women in the kingdom. You’ll be even more beautiful than the flowers in the king’s garden and the women who model for clothing in paintings.”
“Thank you, but I’m fine with the way I look.”
“Are you sure? This is a one time opportunity.”
“Cinis, what do you think about the way I look?”
“You’re the most beautiful woman in this kingdom. There’s no one here that can compare to you. Why?”
“I just needed to hear that again. So yeah, I…”
Favilla turns around to see that the woman has disappeared. The agent leaves the kingdom as she has no more tricks up her sleeve. Plus, she already knows the strength and miracle capabilities of Cinis and Favilla. Now that they’ve finally reached the roof garden, they take in the midafternoon sun, lean on each other, and hold hands.
“Cinis-” “Favilla-”
They stop and laugh a bit as they’ve said each other’s names first.
“No, you first,” they say together again.
“No, you.”
“Cinis…Don’t get me-”
“Fine. Things happened today that made me feel like I’m not truly worthy for you.”
“What are you talking about? It’s me who should be telling you this.”
“Wait, what are you talking about?”
“I’m sorry if I come across as self-absorbed and needy. I’m just obsessed with you giving me love and attention.”
“I should be the one admitting to that. I was the one who showed off the most and drew in the crowds at the sparing fight. I wanted to impress you with all of it and reassure you that I’m the man you want and need.”
“You don’t need to impress me. Nothing you do will make me love you more or less than I already do.”
“It’s good to know that…I love you.”
“I love you too.”
“But I love you more.”
“No, I love you more.”

The two go back and forth until they laugh then kiss. They spend the rest of the day in peaceful bliss with each other with the reminder of the love they have for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment