Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Decaying Kingdom, Everlasting Love - Chapter 5 - Venturing Beyond the Horizon

Chapter 5 – Venturing Far Beyond the Horizon
As the kingdom is being rebuilt and dead are honored, Cinis and Favilla are sent far from Fornax by their parents and the authorities. They are sent to eliminate a creature of decay that’s been causing trouble for the scouts that Fornax sends out to reach other kingdoms. They are given a map to guide them to the location of the beast along with a small supply of food as the trip will be long. They are also told to camp at night because it can be dangerous to move around at night. The couple agrees without question and heads out on horseback around midafternoon.
Along the way to their destination, Favilla asks Cinis, “Do you think that we agreed too easily to accepting this task?”
“Probably. This is the first time we’re outside the kingdom and it feels immensely freeing. Don’t you agree?”
“I do. What do you think this creature is like?”
“It must be dangerous if they want us to go after it. It could be as dangerous as the dragon or even worse.”
“I can’t imagine worse, but I’d like to.”
“That dragon was no match for us.”
“Heh, who or what is?”
“I know, right?”
As Cinis and Favilla make their way through the lands, they comment on the beauty of it all until they come to a point where they see nothing but decay. There is not a plant or animal that lives past the kingdom’s borders. The map they have doesn’t show or mention the rot that they are now seeing. The couple also notes at how the sun seems to shine dimmer here. They make small talk about it but ignore it for the most part.
“Do you think Fornax will be fine without us?” Favilla asks.
“I’m sure it will,” Cinis answers, “Why wouldn’t it be?”
“We’re the ones who saved it multiple times. I’m not sure if any of the knights or soldiers there can do what we did.”
“They weren’t trained like we were, so I see what you’re worried about. I still don’t think they’re going to be attacked anytime soon after our victory.”
“But don’t you think that because the walls are down, that the decay will take advantage of their lack of defense?”
“If you’re so worried about it, then let’s get this assignment done faster.”
“Let’s get it done. We’ll make short work of our target.”
“Now isn’t that obvious?”
Eventually, Cinis and Favilla find the location of the creature and leave their horses by a nearby tree as they hunt for their target. They find strange hoof marks on the ground and follow them to see the creature. It has the head of a white horse, the right arm of a lion, the left arm is a snake, the body of a bear, and the hooves of a goat. It sleeps in a pile of hollow’s dust with decayed trees surrounding it. When the couple gets closer, its ears perk up and it awakens. It roars like an elephant before attacking them. It’s fast, agile, and hits hard with its hooves. It also tries to use its head as a ram, its claws, and its snake arm, which appears to have a mind of its own. Cinis cuts off its snake arm first as Favilla shoots arrows into the creature’s horse head to disorient it. This allows Cinis to cut at the creature’s heels to stop it from moving the finishes it with a dual stab to the head.
“Well that was something else,” Favilla says as she picks the many arrows she put into the creature’s head.
“But we didn’t even need to our special abilities. This thing doesn’t even seem like it’s a threat to the kingdom since it was just sleeping here in the dust.”
“Maybe our parents know something about it that we don’t.”
“Whatever the case is, we better make it back to them.”
“Yeah. I’m still worried about them.”
“Me too a bit.”
The couple travels far before realizing they can’t make it back since it’s getting really dark out. More dark than usual. Since they don’t want to upset their parents by coming home at dark, they set up camp and eat the food they were given as they sit under the night which curiously doesn’t have any lit-up stars in it.
“I’m kind of upset that I can’t see any stars tonight,” Favilla says.
“Why?”
“Because they’re beautiful to look at and they’re fun to look at with another.”
“They don’t compare to your beauty.”
“Well, they don’t compare to your handsomeness.”
“Does that mean you just want to stare at each other for the rest of the night?”
“We might as well.”
The couple stares at one another with smiles as they try not to laugh. Cinis kisses Favilla as they finally burst out laughing from staring so deeply into each other’s eye.
“Hey, do you remember that song or poem that your parents taught us?”
“I do. You don’t want to sing it, do you?”
“I was thinking about that since no one is around here to judge our singing voices. I think it’ll help lighten this dreary place.”
“Okay then, but I’ll still be judging you.”
“Dang, haha.”
Cinis and Favilla hold each other’s hand as they sing together.
“I'll always be with you

Don't live the lie of your weakness
Fight the pain within your soul
Take my hand and I'll lead you to victory
You are my treasure, mocked and discarded by others,
But I can see your true value and it is more valuable than gold

You are my everything
Though you are broken
You are my invaluable treasure
Though you fall
I will love you forever despite it all

Don't give in to what they say
They'll tear you apart till nothing is left
Follow my voice
Take my hand
And I will lead you to eternal happiness

You are my love
Though you doubt me
You are the beauty of the world
Though they say you're ugly
I will never let you go despite it all

Discarded Treasure
Left to a dying world
Let me give you all of me
Because you are more than your faults
Because you are more valuable than the treasures of the world

Because...
Because...
Because most of all...Because I love you”
The two kiss each other after singing.
“How well was my singing?” Cinis asks.
“It was okay…,” Favilla says.
“You trailed off there.”
“Pfft.”
“I’d say you were okay too…if you didn’t sound like a dying horse.”
“What?! Well, you sounded like an old dog!”
“You know I thought someone with a beautiful face would have a beautiful voice, but I was wrong and that’s all I’ll say. Goodnight.”
“No, you’re not going to sleep until you tell me the truth!”
“I was telling the truth.”
“Stop messing with me! I know you’re kidding with me.”
“Then go to sleep.”
“Tell me something different then.”
“I’ll never let you go and I’ll always love you.”
“That’s better.”
“Even if you have a terrible singing voice.”
“Cinis!”

Favilla and Cinis play fight with each other before tiring themselves out with Favilla falling asleep on Cinis. They hold each other as they sleep near the campfire.

No comments:

Post a Comment