Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Choice and Consequence of Saving Lives: Facelifted - Chapters 2 & 3

Chapter 2 – A Better Today
Today feels the same as every day to Morgan. She deals with mostly the same people, the same problems, and similar new people who might as well be the same patients. But then, it happens. A doctor comes in and says they’ve found the cure for the major diseases Morgan’s patients have. They administer the cure to them and within a matter of minutes, they’re up and walking. Happiness overflows throughout the whole hospital with patients being healed and given the hope that they’ll live longer. Morgan goes to the lower level to see all of the happy family reunions and to another surprise.
Matthew grabs Morgan’s hands and says, “Morgan, I love you. I’m sorry I haven’t told you before.”
“Oh Matthew, I know you love me.”
“Not in the best friend kind of way, but in…I might as well just do it.”
He kneels on one knee with a ring box open and asks, “Will you marry me?”
“Yes!”
The crowd around them cheers and the world spins around Morgan. It’s the happiest moment in her life that lasts as long as a breath. As the world spins, the people and area around her decay with each cycle until everything is dust and everyone is nothing, but bones. Even the diamond ring that Matthew gave Morgan has lost its luster.
“No, no, no! This can’t be happening,” she says to herself.
Herself, the other her, appears to her from the dust and asks her, “What did you expect would happen? Everything decays in the end.”
“No, it doesn’t! I can fix things, I just need more time and better medicine and medical equipment.”
“You know that will only help for a short while. Diseases will mutate and there are parts of medicine that cures part of you while harming another.”
“Whatever. You don’t know what you’re talking about. Just wake me up.”
“How about you wake yourself up?”
“Isn’t that what I’m asking? Wait, this doesn’t make sense.”
“It makes sense in this context.”
“I don’t care, just make it happen.”
“I would but I’m all tied up at the moment.”
In the blink of an eye, Morgan’s back in her apartment room, but she’s chained up to her bed.
“What the hell is going on?!”
“You’re chained to your bed dummy.”
“I know that. Help me out of this!”
“I thought you were into this kind of thing.”
“Shut up!”
“You’re the one holding the chains keeping you together. Let it go and you’ll be free. It will hurt though.”
Morgan realizes she is holding onto a chain in each hand. As she slowly lets it go, she feels a searing pain.
“Just. Let. It. Go.”
She takes in a deep breath before letting go of the chains. The chains quickly release themselves from her body while creating burns on it. Morgan screams out in pain as she tries to grab the chains to stop them from moving. She manages to grab them, but there are still many chains on her that prevent her from moving.
“You’ll never move on if you can’t handle a little pain, you bitch.”
“It’s not as easy as it seems.”
“It’s not supposed to be easy. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Rest for a bit then try again. Maybe you need something more to push you forward.”
Morgan wakes up again and sees that’s it’s only been an hour since the last dream.
“Ah, fuck it!”

Chapter 3 – Resting
This day shouldn’t feel the same as the previous ones, but it does for Morgan for some reason. Both Matthew, Morgan, and her friend Harley are going to be hanging out together for their day off today. Morgan is dressed in a casual purple tank top and deep blue jeans with white sneakers. When she meets up with Matthew, she sees that he’s wearing an orange short sleeve shirt and light blue jeans with light grey shoes. Harley, on the other hand, is wearing her police jacket with her normal clothes that are like Morgan’s.
“Do you really have to wear that today?” Morgan asks Harley.
“Of course I do,” Harley responds, “People here already know who I am. There’s no point in hiding.”
“Or do you just like the attention?”
“It’s also that, but they don’t always rush up to me. They know mine and my girls’ methods.”
“Where are they anyway?”
“At the station, keeping an eye on things in the city while I’m away. They got things under control.”
“You should’ve been doing that in the first place.”
“I know you’re mad about constant treating victims of crime, but we’re trying our best. Trust me.”
“Yeah, Morgan. I’m sure Harley is doing her best. Besides, why would you distrust her?” Matthew asks.
“Yeah, Morgan. Why don’t you listen to your boyfriend?”
“He’s not my boyfriend, Harley.”
“Whatever you say. I know when I see true love. Anyways, we can go anywhere you like in the city. I am the chief of police after all.”
“I’m fine with anywhere. Where do you want to go, Matthew?”
“I’d just like to go to the mall.”
“Really? You have the keys to the city and you just want to go to a simple mall?”
“What can I say? I’m a simple guy.”
Matthew’s always been the kind of guy to shop for clothes and shoes while Morgan could care less about shopping. Every time she takes a day off, she feels like she could be ignoring someone in pain that’s in the hospital. She tries to keep it out of her mind by saying that the other doctors can handle it, but sometimes, they can’t. There have been times that the doctors needed Morgan’s help and she wasn’t there, however, there have also been situations when she was there, and nothing changed. Because of that, she just has to trust the people she works with and that the city doesn’t decide to kill itself today.
As they’re shopping, a small fight breaks out in one of the lower levels which leads to two people pulling guns on each other. Morgan crouches and tries to move to the escalators, but Harley stops her.
“Hold on there,” Harley whispers, “I’ll head down there with you. Just follow my lead.”
Harley quietly leads Morgan to the lower floors while listening to the conversation. It appears that the two people have been going through tough times and this has torn their relationship apart until things have boiled over. Once they are down on the lower floor, the two people shoot each other at the same time. Morgan rushes over to them and asks for all the medical equipment in the building while Harley calls for an ambulance. Using all of her medical expertise, Morgan quickly patches up the two people and stabilizes them until an ambulance can pick them up. She wants to go with them to the hospital, but Harley and Matthew remind her to have some faith in the doctors she works with. Morgan doesn’t hear anything about the two people until a doctor from the hospital calls her to inform her that they’ve saved their lives thanks to what Morgan did.
The three celebrate with dinner at Harley’s house where they enjoy a grand meal with dessert at the end. After saying goodbye to Harley, Matthew walks Morgan home.
“This was a crazy day wasn’t it?” Matthew asks.
“Yeah, but I enjoyed it,” Morgan says.
“I think I should get you something special.”
“Thanks, but you don’t have to. Saving lives is its own reward.”
“No, wait I got something.”
Matthew turns Morgan around and kisses her. All the while this is happening, she’s hoping that this isn’t another hallucination or dream.
“I-uh. That was a great reward.”
“How about we go out on a date next time? I’ll see you tomorrow until then.”
“See you then.”

Morgan goes inside her house and tries to wake herself up but she’s already awake and happily in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment