Tuesday, July 30, 2019

A Flip of the Coin: Chapter 2 – Caught in the Spider’s Web

Chapter 2 – Caught in the Spider’s Web
The inner city looks worse than where we were before with rubble and broken buildings blocking certain streets. It’s almost like a maze because of how many turns we have to take and how many buildings we need to cut through. Markings and arrows on the side of buildings tell us that they’re pointing us in the direction of help. Some say weird things that make it sound like a paradise with some sort of goddess queen in it who performs miracles. Maybe this is the goddess that Kitsune was talking about.
“Eerie, can you tell me more about what you know is going on in the world?”
“I know that all order in the world collapsed and no one knew what exactly ended it.”
“What do you remember about it because I’ve recently woken up?”
“Not much that I can make sense of. I woke up yesterday or so many hours ago. I can barely tell what time of day it is because of the sky.”
“What about our appearances? I mean, you look like a cat.”
“I think it has to do with a thing that our appearances are related to our souls somehow. People can change their clothes, but the clothes will change to something more suitable for a person's personality. Besides, I like the way I look. You know you don’t look so different from me. You have sharp, cat-like teeth too.”
“I do? Huh. I guess you’re right because of how my nails and teeth are sharper. We also both have cats as assistants.”
“That’s right. I wouldn’t be surprised if we find out that we’re sisters or twins.”
“Hmm. I don’t think I had a sibling.”
“A lot of people have completely forgotten parts of their life because of what happened and one of the ways to remember yourself is by fighting. That’s one of the many reasons the city looks the way it does.”
“What fight do you think caused this?”
“I have no clue.”
We’re looking at a mess of webs that string between the tall buildings. Some of these webs block our path and are thicker than they seem. These seem to be spider webs.
“Ah!”
Speaking of spiders…
“What is it, Val?”
“There are spiders in these webs. It looks like their strengthening and adding layers to it.”
“There must be someone who can spawn them. I’ve heard of people who have grown their power to the point where they can make their animal use different abilities. We’ll have to be careful not to alert whoever commands these spiders. Don’t touch the webs or bother the spiders.”
“…I already touched the webs.”
“You what?”
“That’s what made the spiders come out.”
“Then we just have to hope that we’re dealing with someone friendly.”
“Oh, you’ll find that I’m more than friendly,” a girl above us says as she descends on a large spider followed by a squad of other large spiders, “My name is Sybella. I am the guardian of the city ruled by Queen Shea.”
“You guard the city by yourself?” I ask.
“Technically yes since my spiders are an extension of myself. My little scouts have told me that you’re coming here to learn more about what caused all of this. Unfortunately for you, the city is already full of people like that who wish to know the queen’s wisdom. You’ll have to search somewhere else.”
“Somewhere else?” Eerie says, “The entire city looks dead and I’m sure other places are like this. Can’t you let us through? We’ll wait in line for our questions to be answered if we have to.”
“Eerie…I don’t think…”
“No, she has a fair point, but you are not allowed into the city unless you want to go through me. Come to think of it now, that’s exactly what you should do. My little scouts and my victories have told me all that I need to know about you.”
“You know about us? Just tell us what you know. We don’t need to fight,” Eerie says.
“No, I do.”
Sybella flips a coin that flies up into the air. Dozens of large spiders descend from the webs above and shoot their string at us. Vic and Torio spring into action and cut the strings with ease.
“That’s surprising. The string usually guarantees me an easy victory,” Sybella says.
I’m a little surprised that Vic was able to cut the string and in such a fast way. I guess we got stronger from the last fight.
“We’re stronger than we look! Bring her down to us, Vic!”
“Do the same, Torio!”
Vic and Torio rapidly cut at the strings the hold the buildings together. Their speed is like that of Kitsune’s fox, so the buildings are quickly crumbling.
“You don’t have to wait for me to come down because I’m coming to yo-you!”
Both our cats have managed to bring down the webs connecting the buildings, which results in the rubble crushing Sybella and her spiders.
“Good job, boy!” I say to Vic as he comes up to me and rubs his face against mine.
“You did great, Torio,” Eerie says as her cat does the same.
The rubble then starts to move as dozens of little spiders crawl out of it. Sybella’s larger spiders then break out of the rubble along with her.
“You'll have to do more than that to beat me!”
Sybella’s smaller spiders swarm both of our cats. Their little bites don’t hurt that much on their own by the swarm is overwhelming.
“Concentrate on Sybella, Vic!”
“Don’t worry about the smaller ones, Torio. Just bear the pain and take out the larger one!”
The larger spiders that aren’t Sybella’s main spider use themselves as her sword and shield as they form a barrier around her. They use their pincers to try to stab at our cats, but they can’t react fast enough as they tear apart the barrier.
“You two are more than I thought you would be,” Sybella says as she and her spider try to retreat while fighting.
Our cats are too fast for her and cut her spider to pieces, which defeats her.
“We did it!” Eerie and I say as we clap. Even our cats clap their paws together.
I look over to Sybella to see her body and her spiders disappear, but her head doesn’t disappear. Eerie and I look at each other in confusion. Sybella’s head then stands up as the head and legs of a spider come out of it.
“I won’t be so easily defeated,” Sybella says as her head jumps around.
Our cats are unable to catch her as she escapes into the thick webs. We chase after her as she sends swarms of large and small spiders alike to slow us down. In the chaos, we’ve lost sight of Sybella, so we concentrate on surviving. Once the larger spiders are defeated, Eerie and I command our cats to get the smaller spiders off them who have done a lot of damage to them over time. The two cats rub off one another and shake off the small spiders until they’re all off. Now that every spider is dead, we search for Sybella.
Part of a broken building is broken through as Sybella in her new form comes out. Half of her body is now part spider with her hands and face being more spider-like.
“Your power is going to be useful to me. You should feel honored. I’ve never had to use this form until now,” Sybella says as she begins to attack our cats.
She sends out flying small spiders after them since they’re her most effective force. These spiders inject some kind of venom into our cats, which makes them woozy. Vic and Torio are unable to fight effectively as Sybella tosses them around while her spiders continue to bite at them. Come on, Vic! Concentrate like how we did last time. You can do it. Just fight through the pain with me. We can do this if we combine our strength.
Eerie and I scream as we lend our energy to our cats. Our combined energy allows them to get the strength to bear their pain and effectively fight Sybella until they cut through her defenses and her.
As her entire body along with her head disappear, she says, “I hope you’re happy with yourself because of what you’ve done you monster.”
My mind is then filled with memories of Sybella at a high school where she would defend her friends from bullies and terrible teachers. Again, I see the exploding light that ended the world. I then see Sybella striking a deal with a girl who I think is the queen she was talking about. The next memories after that are just battles. There is a memory that catches my attention that being one that doesn’t seem like hers. It’s of a girl and what looks to be her boyfriend with her. They both are seen at the center of the explosion with a priest attempting to stop them. That’s where the memory ends.
Eerie and I tell each other what we saw, and it turns out that we got the same memories.
“That last memory was a strange one,” I say.
I wonder why I felt a close connection to it.
“Maybe the rest of what she knows about us was just told to her?” Eerie suggests.
“Probably, but I can’t remember that memory unless I need more of the pieces from someone else.”
“That’s how people end up fighting so much. They want to find out who they were so bad that they end up taking the lives of so many people. Some even continue to fight because they didn’t like the person they remembered.”
“I hope that doesn’t become us.”
“Me too. Let’s see if this queen will give us the answers we need. It looks like we made a mess since Sybella’s spiders and webs were the only things keeping these buildings together. Let’s see if our cats have a new ability.”
Torio can turn the surface of his body into spikes, which allows him to cut through the rubble.
“That was awesome!”
Well? Let’s not let them show us up, Vic. Wow! Vic uses his tail as a long whip that can cut through the rubble as it were paper. That’s amazing, boy! Eerie and I look at each other with a satisfied smile as our cats dig through the rubble towards our destination and hopefully the answers we seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment