Thursday, August 1, 2019

A Flip of the Coin: Chapter 3 – A Queen in an Apocalypse

Chapter 3 – A Queen in an Apocalypse
After a while of digging, we find our way to a stadium in the middle of the city. There are a bunch of vending stations outside that look like they’ve been recently abandoned. It looks like we scared off everyone out here once the buildings and webs that surrounded this stadium fell apart. We check the entrances and find them locked with gates and concrete. How did they get concrete here? Someone must have the ability to make it or move it here. Okay, Vic. You know what to do.
“Wait,” Eerie says, “They probably put this here to keep us out. If we break and enter through this entrance, they’ll probably attack us because we’ll show them that we’re looking for a fight. Let’s find another way in.”
We check another couple entrances and find the same thing.
“I don’t think we’re going to find an entrance because of what we did. How about we just make our own entrance somewhere else?” I suggest.
“I guess so. Where should we enter then?”
“There are windows around the stadium. They have shutters on them, but they shouldn’t be hard to cut through. We’ll get our cats to make stones to climb on to get to it.”
“That’s a good idea!”
“Thank you. Let’s get to it.”
Vic and Torio make large stones and stack them in a way that we can get to the windows. Torio then rips apart the shutters and we finally get in the stadium. We’ve entered an office that looks like nobody has been in for a while. The hallways are all dusty, so it looks like that after the shutters were closed, this place was forgotten about. We make our way down the stairs to find another shutter with no guards around it. Vic silently cuts it and we catch it before it falls. After going through the hole, we put what we cut back in place as best we can so no one would notice the breach if someone walks by here. Woah! Speaking about people walking by here, a small crowd of people run by with people in sport’s gear showing them out. Are these guards and are they using the gear as pseudo armor? Why would they even need it if they can’t be killed directly? I guess it’s just for the aesthetics. It looks like they did some adjustments to it to make it look more like armor.
One of the guards stops and asks us, “What are you two doing here?”
“Oh, we just stood here to not get trampled by those people,” I say.
“Are you staying or leaving?”
“We’re staying.”
“Good choice. Those other people have lost their faith in our queen.”
“Why’s that?”
“Sybella, who is our best protector besides the queen, has been defeated. Haven’t you heard?”
“Oh, yeah, but I don’t think it’s a reason to leave.”
“That’s right,” Eerie says probably so they don’t question her.
“I can tell that you’re both smart and faithful servants of Queen Shea. You should quickly go to the field since she’s going to be giving us a blessing soon.”
“Okay.”
Eerie and I walk away from the guard as he rejoins his squad.
“You’re good at playing a role. Maybe you were an actress before this started,” Eerie quietly jokes.
“That doesn’t sound like me, but I like it.”
We enter the inner stadium to find little camping tents spread around the field. People are looking up to an area of the stands that is lined with roses. Guards come out to make way for their queen as they lay out a colorful carpet. They then stand to the side and sound their trumpets.
“All kneel in honor of Queen Shea!” an announcer says through the speakers.
Eerie and I go in the crowd kneel on one knee, so we don’t stand out. A girl on a unicorn comes out of the shadows and down the stands.
She has a majestic and very princess-like appearance with her long flowing hair and dress. The eyes of the unicorn are bloodshot, which is strange. Maybe it’s a sign of its special ability. A ball of light then forms out of the unicorn’s horn and lights up the entire stadium.
Shea says in a booming voice, “Fear not my good subjects. Even though Sybella’s tragic defeat is one that has cost us dearly, I remind you that we will survive and continue to prosper as we always have. It doesn’t matter if your family or friends have left us. They will fend for themselves while we live in our paradise with each other.”
Light is released from the flowers that enter into every one of us. I feel secure, good, and happy, but I can’t let it distract me from asking Shea questions. The light from the flowers then become shaped like people and begin to dance around. My mind feels numb as if the dance is putting me into a trance.
“I will join you in a bit to talk to each one of you, but for now, you can enjoy yourselves with my servants of light.”
No, we can’t let ourselves be distracted by this. I can’t…Eerie grabs my hand and pulls me away from the crowd as they dance with the light. This snaps me out of my trance. Since the stadium keeps making us light-headed, we go outside of it where the stands are in Shea’s direction. Once we get enough distance, our heads are completely cleared.
“What are we going to do now?” I ask.
“We ask Shea what she knows. What else can we do?”
“But what if we start a fight? Did you see her power and how many followers she has?”
“We’ll just have to be extra careful. I don’t think she knows who defeated Sybella yet, so we should be safe.”
We hear the clopping of Shea’s horse coming in our direction, so we look at each other and silently prepare ourselves to talk to her. Her presence feels intimidating on its own despite her appearance and the smell of flowers that accompanies her. She also has a few guards with her, but I don’t feel like they’ll be as much trouble to deal with. The look on her face is curious but also soft. We can’t let our guard down.
“Hello. You must be eager to ask me something if you couldn’t wait to see me,” she says in a nearly quiet voice.
“Y-yes, we do,” Eerie says, “We wanted to know more about our past, what really caused the world to end, and what we can do to fix it.”
“Haha, I see why you were so eager to come to me because of all your questions. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you here before. Why should I answer your questions?”
The guard from before is with Shea and picks up for us by saying, “Remember the girls I was talking about? These are them.”
“Oh, alright then. I’ll answer your questions then. Follow me as we walk to my room. I need to get something from it for the people to further ease their nerves.”
I wonder what she has that can do that if she thinks her power isn’t enough. Regardless of what it is, we walk alongside Shea to her room.
She continues, “I’ll answer the easiest of your questions first that being what causes the world to end. That would be the decision of a single couple that they made with an angel. The two were told that if they performed a ritual the angel told them then everyone would be separated from their temptation which would result in people no longer wanting to sin or commit evil for any reason. Another thing they were told was that hunger and thirst would be eliminated along with it. Other people say there were more positives along with that, but those were the big two.”
“A couple aided by an angel did this?” Eerie asks.
“That’s right. It’s strange I know. Because of the supernatural nature of what happened, I’m not sure how to fix it either than bringing together this small society of people while trying to bring others in. If we band together, then we should be able to bring things back to some kind of normalcy. Being unable to feel pain, hunger, thirst, or tiredness is a plus so we work daily to grow and bring others in.”
“That’s what I figured. I wish we could do more.”
“I know, but it is my opinion that things are better the way they are now even if it doesn’t look like it. The world might’ve been at war with itself, but the strong and righteous have survived and all but the smallest bits of evil have been eradicated.”
“Do you really think that?”
“It doesn’t mean that there isn’t any light in the world just because you don’t see the sun or moon. Do you understand what I’m saying?”
“I understand, Queen Shea.”
I knew there wasn’t any real way of fixing the world. We’ll just have to deal with what we have and make the most of it.
“Now, I’m going to show you your past selves. With this.”
We enter Shea’s room and she picks up what looks to be a halo.
“Is that an angel’s halo?”
“Yes. It was found where the explosion of light originated from, which just so happened to be this city. It can reveal memories from a person’s past to the person holding the halo and the person who it is used on. It also helps me figure out what a person specifically wants or needs to be better.”
Oh no. If she looks into our memories, she’ll see that we were ones who defeated Sybella. I look over to Eerie and she seems to have recognized this as well.
“We uh…on second thought…I’m not sure if I want to know who I was.”
“I know a lot of people who’ve hated themselves after finding out their past, but I’ll help you overcome your problems.”
It doesn’t look like we have a choice.
“I’ll go first. If I was a terrible person, I want to know,” Eerie says while looking at me.
What is she doing? Shea will find out what we did either way. Is she somehow hoping that she won’t do anything to me if she is found out first? I’m feeling really nervous about this and Vic is too, but I’m trying to keep him calm. How is Eerie managing to keep Torio so calm and collected with the obvious way she must be feeling?
Shea puts the angel halo on Eerie’s head. The halo glows as both of them close their eyes. After about ten agonizing seconds, the halo stops glowing. They both open their eyes and look at each other uncomfortably.
“Is something wrong, my queen?” one of the guards ask.
“No, there isn’t.”
 Shea reaches for something behind her as Eerie takes a step back. Here we go…! What the heck? Something just busted through the walls of the stadium. A dark fog steeps into the building as everyone around me starts panicking. I see Shea about to flip a coin. Does she think we planned this?
“Hey!”
“What’s going on?”
“Eerie!”
“Val!”
“Where did those two go?”
Something flew in, grabbed us, and is taking us out of the stadium. I look up to see a large crow. Is this the same crow as before? It seems so much more monstrous than before. The crow takes us to the top of a building where we see what looks to be a medieval doctor who is also a priest by the looks of his outfit. After dropping us off, the crow shrinks and becomes small enough to be a normal crow and rests on the man’s arm.
“I’ve finally found you,” the man says in a very grungy voice as he approaches us.
“Who are you?” I ask as Eerie, Vic, and Torio prepares to fight.
“Calm yourselves, I don’t want to fight you. I want to help. My name is Benedict.”
“I…I’ve seen you before,” Eerie says.
“You have. That must mean you remember who you were, but your other half hasn’t?”
“Shea has an angel’s halo that makes us remember our past and she only used it on me. I’m very sorry for what we’ve, I mean what I’ve done.”
“What are you two talking about?”
“You’ll find out soon. First, we have to take out Shea and her forces. They’re coming for us and won’t stop,” Eerie says.
“I’ll aid you in this fight. You’ll need it.”
Benedict takes off his mask to reveal a monstrous crow face beneath it.
We meet Shea’s forces on the ground. Both of us stare down each other in silence as we ready ourselves to fight.
“Do you want to do the honors?” Benedict asks.
“Gladly,” Shea says as she flips a coin.
Eerie and I face off against Shea as Benedict faces off against her guards. Since we aren’t in an enclosed area, Shea’s smells aren’t as effective as they were, but she spawns soldiers of light to make up for her unicorn’s lack of combat ability. These soldiers have spears, swords, shields, arrows, and other weapons as if they were medieval soldiers. Vic takes them out from a distance while Torio’s spiky skin gives him both an effective defense and offense. Shea looks none too pleased with our animals’ skills to fight effectively against so many foes. I look over to Benedict to see him finishing off his foes. That man and his crow are lethal.
With our other foes out of the way, we focus our efforts on Shea who is unable to take our combined strength and falls to our attacks. She is now trapped underneath her unicorn with no way of escaping.
“Wh-where is my help?” Shea calls out in a loud voice as her unicorn screams at an ear-shattering pitch.
We wait for more to come, but no one does, which is strange. I’m sure I saw more guards and people willing to fight for Shea. Whatever the case is, I’m not going to complain about it.
“Why? Why couldn’t you let us be?” Shea asks us.
“Your defender attacked us first,” I say.
“And she was right to by the looks of it. Sybella tried to convince me before that the way the world is was a mistake. I was wrong and now, I can see why. It’s because of people like you that only think of yourself. I’m not going to let you continue doing what you want.”
Shea and her unicorn combine into one terrifying looking monster with part of the unicorn becoming a largemouth. The unicorn screams as it raises bodies from the ground. These appear to be people who were defeated because Sybella and Kitsune are among their numbers. This looks like too much to handle even if these people don’t seem to be as strong as they used to be. Shea’s unicorn jumps out of the crowd and continues to yell, which seems to invigorate her soldiers.
Benedict says, “You, with the lion, help me get to Shea.”
“Okay!”
“I’ll help clear a path for you!”
I can’t think of a strategy myself right now, so I have to follow them. Vic uses his long sweeping tale to keep away people behind us while Torio and Benedict’s crow clear the path ahead with their animals’ ability to turn their skin into a weapon. Benedict spews a dark fog out of his mouth so that everyone, but we are blinded and confused as to where we are. We have a clear shot at Shea now even though she’s moving around. Benedict sends his crow at Shea to force her to dodge it, which allows Vic to hit her in the air with his long tail. Once he stabs through her horse, she falls to the ground. Her resurrected soldiers become dust as Shea begins to disappear.
“I hope you’re happy with yourself,” she says as her final words.
Memories then begin to fill my head of her past. She was a leader in her school. Shea helped her friends with school problems along with personal ones before the world ended. When it did, she used her abilities to aid others and used her charisma and personality to gather a community. The other memories I see are those of the people she’s fought. There’s nothing that interests me in them. I wait for the memories of her looking at Eerie’s and find what shocked them. The girl who started all of this with her boyfriend was separated into two pieces with both of them having cat-like appearances and feline assistants. They still look like her, but is this really what I think it is?
“Eerie, are we really?”
“Yes, we are. We’re the same girl who ended the world with her boyfriend. Our real name is Valerie.”
“What? This isn’t making any sense to me.”
“That is why I’m here,” Benedict says as he puts his mask on, “I’m the exorcist who was trying to stop you, and I need your help in fixing it.”
“I’ll do whatever I need to correct my mistakes,” Eerie says.
“I still need answers,” I demand.
“Valerie, you-”
Before Benedict can say anything, we hear a coin flip. Is this the reinforcements Shea called for? No. We see a swarm of hornets flood the city. We are caught in the storm as we are stung repeatedly by their stingers. I don’t feel any pain, but I do feel sleepy. Everyone including me falls to the ground. I’m still trying to stand up as I see a figure walking towards us.
She kneels by us and says, “Thank you so much for getting rid of those two. They were really preventing me from getting more friends. Now, you’re going to be my best friends.”
“What are you talking about?” I struggle to say.
“Shh. Take a rest. You need it after battling so much.”
“Wait…”

No comments:

Post a Comment