Sunday, July 21, 2019

Blood, Honor, and Time: Volume 3 - Side Quests - Quest 3 – Imposter

After returning from another trip to look for supplies and survivors, I come home to find someone who looks like me. He’s commanding my Sparrows and already telling them about an approaching imposter.
“And there he is now!” he says, “Strike him down now!”
“Hold on! Don’t listen to him, he’s the fake!”
“I’ve already shown you I’m the real hero with all of the miracles I’ve performed.”
“Since when have I performed miracles? I haven’t even time traveled yet.”
“And there you go. What kind of hero just accepts the status quo and doesn’t try to improve his people’s situation?”
The people around us are starting a commotion. Where’s Donna, Bonito, and Lilia?
“Where’s my wife and advisors, Bonito and Lilia? They could tell the difference between the real and fake one.”
“They’re dead! Their bodies were found skewered in the streets. You should know about it!”
Everybody seems to confirm this. It can’t be!
“What are you trying to say?! You did something to them, didn’t you?!”
“I’m not to blame since they were killed before I got here.”
The Sparrows I took with me try to pick up for me, but the crowd outshouts them.
“The people are with me. You might as well go back to your evil master or do you want to try fighting against all of us?”
I don’t have any evidence on hand to prove that I’m the real me. There is one idea that just came to my head. It’s crazy, but it’ll definitely work if I’m right.
I say, “How about we do this the one way that will prove that we’re God’s chosen hero?”
“Oh yeah? And what’s that?”
“We’ll have an executioner try to cut our heads off. Surely, God will save the one who is His chosen.”
“Ah-ahaha! Are you sure you want to do something so risky?”
“I’m sure of it. Now, if you’re really a hero, you’ll lay down your life for humanity.”
“You got yourself a deal.”
As people gather around, our hands are bound and we bow our heads as we await our fate. The fake hero smiles at me and I smile back confident in the results. I close my eyes and patiently wait as the executioners raise their swords. I feel the blade hit my neck, but nothing happens. People gasped all around us. I still feel the blade in my neck. What happened?
I stand up as my hands are freed then take the sword out of my neck. It hit me and got stuck in my neck but didn’t leave a mark or anything. Looking over to the fake hero, I see that his head is cut off. That was obviously going to happen in my head, however, everyone is still in shock. Thinking the sword might be defective, I use the sword to cut a nearby piece of wood and it slices through it with ease. Most people get on their knees to apologize while my few silent supporters cheer for me. I smile at them and raise my fist in victory.
There’s something strange about this sword. The handle feels strange as if there are two. I then put at the handles and now I have two swords. They radiate with a divine light that lights up the entire city for ten seconds before fading. The bodies of Donna, Lilia, and Bonito have disappeared. My Sparrows and I search the entire town to find them. Eventually, we find them tied up and knocked out in my room. Thank you, God, that they’re still alive. Thank you so much and thank you for reminding me of your love for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment