Thursday, July 11, 2019

Blood, Honor, and Time: Volume 1 - Side Quests - Quest 5 - A Request from Beyond

I get lucky enough to go on another mission alone as Donna, Stella, and Corso are out doing a request that requires them a couple other Sparrows. The request I got came in my personal mail like last time. It’s a request from a man who wants me to chop down some trees that are possessed by demons. Apparently, some demon worshippers don’t like him and made demons possess some small trees to go after him. This should be interesting fighting demonically possessed trees.
Once I arrive at the location, I cautiously watch all the trees around me. I don’t come across any demon trees until I get near the man’s help. The demon trees can’t help but sway their branches, unlike the other small trees that don’t. Since they haven’t noticed me, I throw my throwing knives at them. These trees aren’t made of bark-like normal trees and are instead made of thick dry skin. In order to kill these trees, that uses its many branches like sharp swords, I have to cut them in half or else they won’t die. Scratch that, I just figured out that I have to cut them through the center where their wooden heart is. Ah! This was a fun, but quick mission.
I go into the man’s house and say, “Hello? The demon trees will bother you no more!” No response. “Hello? Anyone home?”
The letter did tell me to stop in and tell the man when I succeeded. There’s nothing about the house that seems strange or off. Maybe this was a trap? With my swords out, I check every room in the house while calling out every now and then. I then search the house looking explicitly for traps and hidden rooms but find none. Do I have the wrong house that also happens to have demon trees outside of it? I take out the note and begin to read through it until it burns up into nothing.
For some reason, it starts to get hot in the house. A bright light beams through the skylight in the house. This appears to be where the heat is coming from, so I ready myself for a fight only for a normal-looking man who is covered in flames to descend from the light with the help of an angel.
“Who are you?” I ask the man.
“You have nothing to fear for I am just a meek soul from Purgatory who wants you to remind the world to pray for the dead. Since the end of the world is upon you, many will die as they try to survive, therefore, many of the faithful will need prayers in their final cleansing.”
“You couldn’t just tell a mystic this? Why me?”
“You are the newest hero and if you give the world the message, they will listen and follow. There is one last thing that I must tell you. Thank you for your prayers. They have lessened the time I and the other souls in Purgatory. We will be praying for you in Heaven.”
The man then ascends with the help of his angel as the feeling in the house cools down. Did that really happen? I guess it did since I can’t really explain it, so I do what the suffering soul requests, which everyone accepts without question. My word really must have a high authority now. Now I have to hope they’ll continue to do what I say until the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment