Monday, July 15, 2019

Blood, Honor, and Time: Volume 2 Side Quests - Quest 2 – The Ruins of the Past

After the end of one world, another is built from its ruins. There are treasures lost to battles that shook the world some of which could help us in the present. Since not much is happening, I order my Sparrows to conduct an excavation of the ruins below. Once they dig enough of the ruins up, I go down to one of the site’s that’s said to be the home of the hero before me. Of course, I bring my team of my finest Sparrows with me for the trip in case something happens. With what happened during one of the last requests, Donna isn’t going to let me out by myself in something that could be incredibly dangerous.
When I get to the ruins underground, I see the once great civilization that existed not too long ago. The structures and statues that must’ve looked like they reached the Heavens are such a beautiful sight to behold. It’s a good thing we have magic that helps us dig this all out otherwise it would’ve taken forever. Despite how beautiful things look, they are partially destroyed or damaged. It just reminds me that only God will last forever while everything will pass away.
I enter into the previous hero’s house to find pictures of him and his family plus his arsenal of weapons. If only Tunc was here to see this. I’m sure he still can, but I’d like to see his reaction. While going through the room, I find what looks to be a hidden set of stairs. There are indentations in the floor that look like the weapons from all three cultures can fit in them. I put the weapons into the indentations and the floor opens up to reveal a staircase. We descend until we enter what looks like a sparing room with a message written on a sign that says, “Heroes only”. I enter this room only for a shield to block every else from entering that also prevents me from escaping. Before I know it, the spirit of the previous hero is behind me.
He says, “It’s nice to meet you, my successor.”
“It’s an honor to meet you, Pace.”
Pace sits down while casually swinging his sword around. “How do you like the job so far?”
“It’s got its ups and downs, but nothing I can complain about. Why?”
“Because I’ve been watching you and I can’t exactly tell how you’re feeling.”
“That’s surprising. I heard you could read almost anybody. It’s one of the reasons why you were such a popular hero.”
“If that’s one of the reasons, then what are the others?”
“You never really fought at all. I don’t think you’ve ever killed a person, a beast, or even a demon. You let everyone else fight for you. I’m surprised you did that even though you’re a skilled fighter.”
“If you have an army, you might as well use it, am I right? Any other reasons why I’m a popular hero?”
“You were always calm. Your name Pace means peace or rest. I didn’t matter how difficult things got. You were always calm and collected with a plan at the ready.”
“Is that it?”
“That’s it.”
“Do you have an idea as to why we’re meeting like this?”
“I don’t.”
“Take a guess.”
“Is it a test?”
“That’s right. Is it going to be physical or talking?”
“Talking because we’re doing so much of it.”
“It’s that obvious, huh? Well, you’re right. God allowed me to construct this little test for you. If you pass, you will inherit all the treasures from the past civilization. If you fail, you get nothing.”
“How do I pass?”
“You keep talking to me. I wouldn’t give you a strenuous test because you already have a lot on your plate, and I don’t want to take up much of your time.”
“Okay, so what do you want to talk about?”
“We’re already halfway done the test. All you have to do now is answer a few more questions.”
“Alright. Shoot them at me.”
“Despite all the horrifying things in the world, what’s the most horrifying thing that everyone does and why?”
“It’s sinning against God because we’re hurting ourselves, the people around us, and the One being who loves us more than anything. Who would want to go against those who love them?”
“Correct. Who would you save? A murderer or a thief?”
“I’d try to save both.”
“Why?”
“Because both are of equal value and both can be redeemed.”
“Correct. Last question. What’s the one thing you shouldn’t do while being a hero?”
“A hero shouldn’t worry because God chose us to be the next hero for a good reason.”
“That’s right. There’s nothing more I can teach you. The only other thing I would advise is that you put what you get in a museum or someplace safe especially the weapons you got from the cultures. They’re more useful as reminders of the inevitable end than weapons and defenses.”
“Will do.”
“Good. You’re a good man, Benedetto. I wish you luck in your adventure and your marriage.”
“Thank-what about my marriage?”
“An older and strong woman like yours is a lot to handle. You’re stronger than me since you’re able to handle her.”
“Uh haha, thanks.”
Pace disappears along with the shield. I ask everyone if they heard what he said, and they could only hear mumbles. I tell them everything he said except for the part about Donna then decide to put whatever we find in a museum for all to see. With the tech we’re making along with our spells and faith in God, we should be able to make it passed the end of this world. Everything will be destroyed, severely damaged, and buried in the end anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment