Monday, July 8, 2019

Blood, Honor, and Time: Volume 1 - Side Quests - Quest 2 - A Former Flame

Quest 2 – A Former Flame
On the board of requests is an easy one with decent pay. My Sparrows and I receive these job requests since I’m the new hero and the Sparrows have proven to be effective in keeping the peace. Sometimes, I take these requests myself with some help. This time I ask Stella to come with me.
“What’s this request want us to do?”
“Just ordinary pests in the deep wilderness have popped up again. It shouldn’t be much trouble.”
“Is it just going to be the two of us?”
“Yeah. Donna is passed out drunk because she out drank several people back at home with some of my Sparrows and Corso.”
“Corso joined her stupid game? I’m not sure if I should feel bad for him or not.”
“I don’t think either of them with wake up until later today. The request shouldn’t be too hard for us to fulfill anyway.”
“Alright. I’ll go out with you.”
“Thank you.”
Stella and I ride out to the deep wilderness on my personal horse.
On the way to our destination, Stella asks me, “How are things going?”
“Boring. I’ve been doing nothing besides keeping up my public image with meetings. What about you?”
“The same except I just train my skills to avoid getting rusty.”
“I keep forgetting to do that.”
“I can help you train after this if you’d like. It’ll probably be our only opportunity since Donna likes keeping you to herself.”
“That’s true. We’ll train after this.”
“So you do admit that Donna is controlling of you.”
I stop the horse in a clearing where the forest isn’t too thick.
“Yeah. What about it?”
“Well, she separates you from people who you know and only trusts you to be with the Sparrows and your family. I’m willing to be that she’s always nice around your family is because she’s trying to impress them and solidify her place in your family.”
“What’s wrong with that?”
“Nothing, but she keeps separating you from me.”
“And fangirls too. I wouldn’t think that fangirls would be more aggressive than your average bandit.”
“Benedetto!”
“What? Do you really have to bring this up now?”
“Yes! If I said this when Donna was around, then she’d probably beat me up.”
“Good point, but I’m sure if enough time passes, she’ll like you.”
“How can you be sure? You’ve only known her for a month.”
“Can we talk about this later? I see the monster’s lair up ahead.”
“Fine.”
The monsters we are facing are just simple four-legged man-beetles or at least, that’s what I call them. Experiments from the Cuchillos can get out of hand and escape their clutches and end up in different places to cause trouble. In some cases, other cultures cause these mutated creatures to spawn through demonic rituals or by playing with magic they don’t have permission to use. We find some of these man-beetles come out to ambush us from the trees, but we’re able to shrug it off and kill the incoming assault.
We then make our way to their nest and cut our way through their numbers. In their sticky nest, we find the bodies and bones of wildlife and some people. It appears that this nest is made from their bodies. Some of the bodies that aren’t completely ripped apart appear to be somewhat alive. They’re breathing though they don’t seem conscious. On closer inspection, their bodies have weird egg-like things in them. The bodies are being used as nests for their eggs in more than one way. Despite this disturbing revelation, we press on and destroy the nest. I’ll have to get a clean-up crew here so that this place doesn’t infect the forest.
Stella and I leave the nest once it’s taken down.
“Now where was I.”
Here we go again.
“How can you stand the fact that Donna is separating you from your friends? Don’t you care about us?”
“If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have asked you to be part of my Sparrows. If I didn’t, then I wouldn’t try to be with you without her knowing. I know that ever since I became a hero I’ve changed, but I still care for my friends.”
“Then show me. Spar with me. Right here.”
“What? Having your back in that disgusting bug hive wasn’t enough-hey!”
She’s already slashing her knives at me.
“You weren’t the best fighter back in the day. Let’s see if you’ve improved.”
“Alright then.”
I block her attacks and evade them then counter one of her attacks by pulling her to me with her momentum then tripping her.
“I’ve learned a couple of tricks from my Sparrows.”
“I don’t doubt it coming from those ex-bandits.”
Stella continues to attack me, and I go with the same strategy except I find different ways to trip her so she falls.
“Are you done yet, Stella? I’m sure you’ve lost several times because of how many times you’ve fallen on your face. Woah!”
She almost hits my face with a throwing knife, but I manage to deflect it in time.
“What’s your problem?!”
Stella looks like she’s about to cry.
“Is something the matter?”
“Just…I’m just checking your reflexes. You’re a better fighter now than you were before. You’ve definitely changed.”
“If you think that being with Donna has made me stop caring for you, then you’re wrong. I-”
“Then why haven’t you reset time so you can make it so we can be married instead?”
“Because it’s better this way. If I had chosen differently, then we wouldn’t have achieved peace so quickly. I mean can you imagine a way of taking down the Socia Agmina without Donna’s help?”
“No. God did bring you two together, so I shouldn’t be holding onto the past. I’m sorry for thinking of myself.”
Dang it. I didn’t want to bring her down like this. Me choosing Donna is still affecting her and it’s going to take her a while to get over it. I’m still trying to get used to it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment