Monday, July 8, 2019

Blood, Honor, and Time: Volume 1 Side Quests - Quest 1 – Non-blood Brothers


“Corso, Corso! Wake up,” I say as I wake him up at night.
“What-what is it, Benedetto? What’s going on?”
“I’ve got an important mission I’ve got to accomplish, and we have to go now.”
“You got it.”
Corso gets his armor on and his equipment with him in no time and heads out the barracks with me. We head out on foot to the location of the mission.
“Benedetto, why didn’t you wake up anyone else?” Corso says in a whisper.
“You’re the only one I need for this mission. At least I think we can complete this together. What do you think? I’m sorry that I didn’t ask first.”
“No, it’s fine. You can trust your brother on this. Let’s complete this mission.”
“Thank you, brother.”
We enter the forest around us and find the lake that has our enemy in it. There is a demon possessing the lake here that turns the water into a three-headed serpent once people get close enough to it. We try cutting the heads off because they appear solid enough, but after several cuts, the head just splits into two heads. This triggers the other heads to split so now we’re facing a six-headed serpent.
“You don’t happen to have any tricks up your sleeves, do you?” Corso asks me.
“I do have rose prayer beads with me. You think we can use it on the demon?”
“I think I see a core in the center of the serpent. Let’s try using it on there.”
Corso protects me as I run for the serpent’s core. Since it’s made of water, it’s not too hard to dive into the creature and eventually wrap the beads on the core. I have to hold my breath while the beads make break the core as the serpent writhes in agony. It’s like I’m strangling it to death. The core then breaks and the water in the lake goes back to normal. I get out of the water and rest on the grass with my brother.
“Mission accomplished,” Corso says as we bump fists.
“I knew we could do it.”
“So now that the mission is over, can you tell me why you chose me in particular?”
“The truth is that I didn’t know about the demon possessing the lake. If you remember, it’s where we used to play in when we were kids.”
“Oh, yeah that’s right. Why didn’t you just say so to begin with?”
“I wanted it to be a surprise. Plus, I wasn’t sure what to say.”
“Why’s that?”
“Because I’m a hero now. I didn’t know if you still viewed me as the same brother you knew especially after I conquered the Socia Agmina.”
Corso puts his hand on my shoulder.
“Of course you’re still my brother and you being a hero hasn’t changed that one bit. Now, you ready to go for a morning swim?”
“I’m ready.”
Corso and I enjoy the lake like how we used to when we were kids. It’s a moment that makes me feel like a kid again and lifts a heavy weight from my shoulders. I couldn’t have asked for a better brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment