Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Tastefully Morbid: Chapter 3 - Toxic Attention

Chapter 3 – Toxic Attention
In their search for an exit, Schivo and Sanitas come across a dusk and gloomy city made of stone. The shadows are darker here and move around There’s an unnerving silence that’s found nowhere close in this dying and rebirthing world, but Schivo is currently more unnerved by his physical attachment to a girl. Sanitas, on the other hand, is quite happy since she’s attached to a boy she was promised. Her head is filled with things they will do after they leave this world.
“Hello! Do you think there is anyone here, Schivo?”
“I doubt it. Decay and Death eat up people who tend to stay in one place.”
“If someone lived here, what do you think it would be like?”
“Freezing winters and hot summers because of the stone.”
“I wouldn’t want to live here. It doesn’t seem to be a good place to grow flowers. You mentioned that you could build a house out of trees. Can you build a house out of stones?”
“I think I can if you give me enough time to learn how to do it. I can do a lot of things by myself. Cook, bargain, clean, and farm. My parents taught me how to do all sorts of things by myself. I even go to church and to town by myself.”
“Wow, you must really have good parents. I can’t wait to meet them.”
“Yeah…”
“Is something the matter?”
“No. Do you feel like we’re being watched? These shadows look like they’re moving in the corner of my eyes.”
“I see that too.”
“We should get out of here as soon as possible.”
“Hey, do you see that?”
“What?”
Sanitas points in the darkness of one of the houses. There appear to be white faces in the shadows.
“Hello!”
The shadows in the darkness silently wave. Sanitas pulls Schivo forward to see who the shadows in the darkness are and only see the silhouettes of people. Their faces are completely white with permanent expressions on them while their bodies are as black as the shadows. Some of the faces on these shadows are grins, looks of disappointment, predatory, amused, and variations on these. Mumblings and light laughter fill the streets of the city from the shadows as more faces appear from the darkness of the houses.
Unaffected by their presence, Sanitas says, “Hi! Can you show us the way out of here?”
Dark fingers reach out from the buildings and point north.
“Thank you,” Sanitas says with a wave goodbye.
The shadows respond with a friendly wave as well.
“Okay, come on, Sanitas.”
“What is it, Schivo?”
“I don’t trust these shadows. I mean, look at them.”
“They’re friendly.”
“It doesn’t matter. Do you hear their mumblings and laughter? They’re probably talking about us.”
“I hope they have nice things to say.”
“Me too, but I doubt it. We’re not going north. Let’s go this way instead.”
Schivo instantly finds himself in a dead end alleyway.
“That was the wrong way.”
“You think?”
As soon as they leave the alleyway, Schivo bumps into a smiling white face that’s revealed to be bigger than him. He punches it in fear and runs away with Sanitas.
The grinning mask laughs then says, “He got you good!”
“Never speak of this again!” the mask that got punched says before the shadows chase after the two.
Three faces, one grinning, one judgmental, and another predatory, chase Schivo and Sanitas throughout the stone city. The shadows in the house try telling the two to stop, but Schivo keeps running. Since he runs faster than Sanitas, he tries pulling her forward while running to help her keep up. The shadows split up to try to cut off the two. The grinning shadow cuts them off at a corner.
“I got you,” the shadow says with his large shadowy hand out.
“No, you don’t!” Schivo says as he kicks the shadow in the face before running the other way.
“Oooowww!”
“Hahaha, how do you like it?”
“Not very much.”
The shadows continue their chase and the judgmental mask cuts them off.
“It’s my turn!” Sanitas says.
“Go ahead!”
Schivo pulls Sanitas forward and she punches the mask before they run off in a different direction.
“She punches harder than you!” the mask yells.
The shadows use their final plan and use their shadows to scoop the two in the grasp then appear to them. Schivo tries fighting them off but can’t manage to reach their faces. Punching and kicking the shadows themselves don’t seem to do anything, but he still tries to break them free.
“Stay back, Sanitas. I’ll protect you.”
“Look at the little knight without his shining armor.”
“Stay away from us creatures of shadow!”
“Or else you’ll do what? We’re only trying to help you.”
“Help us how?”
“We showed you to go north and you didn’t go the right way, so we’re trying to show it to you.”
“Who are you, shadows?”
“We are the whispers of people who mock, ridicule, judge, and so on. In short, we are the Whispers of Condemnation. Did we unnerve you with our talking of you? I’m sure you’ve heard us whispering about you in the real world.”
“You don’t bother me. I don’t mind it when other people talk about me.”
“Then why did you punch us?”
“Because you have creepy faces.”
“Fair enough.”
“For who?!” the judgmental mask asks.
“For you. I’m as handsome as can be.”
“You were the first one to get punched.”
“You got kicked in the face.”
“You got punched in the face by the girl.”
“At least I’m always happy unlike you who has to be judgmental about everyone.”
“At least I’m always pretty.”
“But you never go out on dates.”
“That’s because a good shadow never asks me out.”
“I’ve been asking you out since we got here.”
“And I’m going to keep rejecting you.”
“Uh, excuse me?” Sanitas interrupts, “But aren’t you supposed to be helping us?”
“Oh, that’s right. Let us show you the way out.”
“Why are you helping us? This entire world seems like it’s either a death trap or some kind of test,” Schivo asks.
“It’s both of those. You no longer need to be here. There is nothing that either of you truly fears or need to learn from us.”
“Okay, I guess. If what you are saying is true, then lead us out of this city.”
“Hold on tight.”
The shadows move the two through the city as if they were riding a wave until they are outside of it.
“Go on now children,” the shadows say.
Before they can get far, the predatory shadow approaches Sanitas and says, “Before you go, here.”
The shadow tries handing her a black rose with red leaves on it.
“Oh, uh. Thank you.”
Schivo moves Sanitas away then says, “Don’t trust it, Sanitas. Who knows what that black rose could do to you?”
“I thought you didn’t want to be with this girl, Schivo?”
“I’m trying to protect her. She’s my responsibility now that she’s connected to me, and I’m not going to let anything happen to her.”
“Aww,” the shadows say while Schivo blushes.
“Aww, thank you, Schivo.”
“I’m-I’m just being responsible.”
The two walk away while feeling their connection increase.
“Aww, why can’t we have that kind of connection?” the shadows ask themselves.
“Because all we do is bicker at each other.”
“Well I know it’s not my fault.”
“It is too.”
“It is not!”
“Here we go again…”

No comments:

Post a Comment