Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Blood, Honor, and Time: Volume 2: Chapter 4 - Political Magic

Chapter 4 – Political Magic
When I wake up, I make sure to put my knives to Bonito’s throat.
“Damn. I thought I would get you this time.”
“Think again.”
“Don’t worry. I will get my kiss.”
“Whatever. Let’s just get this day over with.”
“I wouldn’t rush it if I were you. It’s going to be an interesting day.”
“Why’s that?”
“I’ll explain after breakfast.”
Donna and Lilia wake up with a bit of a headache and wonder what happened last night. I don’t tell them the truth since I don’t want a fight to break out now of all days. At breakfast, Bonito’s guards don’t look at me funny even though they should know what I did to her since it’s evident on her face. I guess she’s instilled in them a loyalty that makes them follow whatever orders she gives them.
Once we are done breakfast, my Sparrows and Bonito’s guards gather in a meeting room.
Bonito says, “I’ve already contacted my allies and they have plans in place to counter the assassinations. My guards and Benedetto’s Sparrows will be stationed around several places in Cuchillos territory as backup. Some of my other allies including priests and preachers are spreading the word that changes will be made to the Cuchillos political and business model to dissuade some of the attackers. We are already well prepared for situations like this. All we need to do is manage it well to succeed.”
“Sounds like a good plan, but won’t it be easier if we knew what other allies are planning to counter the assassinations?” I ask.
“Our allies are used to planning and countering assassination attempts. Have some faith in us. Isn’t that what Fedele are good at?”
“Good point. What will you and I do?”
“We will be dressed formally and go to a few events. I already have your tuxedo and mask ready for you.”
“What about Donna and Lilia?”
“They will be stationed with your other Sparrows since neither of them can blend in and can wear dresses.”
“She’s got a point,” Lilia says with a sigh.
“I can wear a dress well!” Donna exclaims.
“She did look stunning at our wedding,” I add.
“Thank you!”
“Regardless of your opinion,” Bonito says, “She does not have a…figure that will fit a Cuchillos dress.”
“Fine.”
“You can’t just keep agreeing with her Benedetto.”
“What better option do I have? Tunc told me to go to her to gain the Cuchillos trust and his advice has never failed me.”
‘Why thank you!’
“Okay, fine.”
I head into the dressing room and wear the outfit Bonito wants me to. It’s a nice black and white tuxedo with a rose design on it. The mask is also black and white with a rose design on it. I like the velvety feel to all of it. Even though I’m used to wearing boots, I like the dress shoes that Bonito gave me. She also allows me to have black claw gloves, which are very nice.
Bonito and I get into a carriage and go to our location. To show off, Bonito uses a mechanical horse to pull our carriage. Apparently, only the most privileged and powerful get to have these new inventions. I can hardly believe these exist. What are they going to come up with next? Carriages that you can drive without a horse?
“Should I know anything while we’re at the event?” I ask her.
“Nothing at all. Just stay by my side and react accordingly.”
“Okay.”
I feel like she’s going to make me do something I won’t like.
‘You’re probably right.’
We are dropped off at the doors of a large building that’s similar to the hall where I was talking to the Blighted except this place is more lit up with electrical lights and more colorful architecture and art. Today, there’s a meetup between different parties so that alliances can be formed for both political and business benefits. It’s a great way to get to know people especially since you don’t have to pay anything to get in. I wonder if some of the poor Cuchillos have tried this to get ahead in life. They have to have known about it.
I’m just walking around looking for anything suspicious with Bonito holding onto my arm.
“Is it really necessary for you to hold onto me?”
“It is.”
“Why is it exactly?”
“Couples are more powerful than people who are by themselves. You should know that by seeing how many people are trying to meet each other.”
“Makes sense.”
“Oh. Look over there.”
I see in the distance guards arresting several people out of the crowd. One of Bonito’s allies approaches us and thanks us for warning us about the assassins.
‘I didn’t expect anything less from them.’
“See Benedetto? We can handle this.”
“That’s great.”
“Now let’s get over to the next event. I can’t wait to get there.”
When we get to the next event, I know exactly why she’s excited about it. It’s a get together for Bonito’s allies who are having a dance for charity. Of course, she forces me to dance. The last time I danced was at my wedding. Sure, we Fedele have a lot of celebrations with dancing, but we don’t always dance as proper as the Cuchillos do. It’s a little difficult for me to get used to it, but I eventually get the hang of dancing with Bonito. This is really nice actually. I know people compare fighting with dancing a lot, but it’s true. The rhythm and movements are like fighting though we aren’t trying to fight each other. I wonder if Bonito fought with me when she first met me to train me for a dance like this. Okay. It’s over now. Now-!
‘Hahahaha! She got you!’
“I told you I would get my kiss.”
“You’re not getting another.”
“Who says I need your permission?”
All of the sudden I hear fighting going on in the upper balcony. I then see a few people get tossed off it before getting arrested. Things then go back to normal as if nothing happened.
‘These people are so used to violence that they’re almost desensitized to it.’
Most if not all people are taught at a young age how to fight and defend yourself to the death.
‘Yeah, but most people don’t usually go back to normal business after an assassination attempt especially during a public charity event.’
True. I guess it’s just the flaws in their culture that make them this way.
“At this rate, we might not even need to be your allies’ backup, Bonito.”
“You never know when we might be needed. As much as I want to keep dancing with you, we must go to the last event.”
Thankfully, the last event is a public speaking event where the poor Cuchillos are debating with the rich ones in a square that’s meant for it. There are these places in Fedele territory too that are meant for debates so that the servants and workers can have their concerns and opinions heard by the lords and bishops. They seem to be in agreement about a few things and it also seems like the assassination targets know who their assassins are. An agreement is made, and the situation is resolved with a handshake as the crowd claps in approval and excitement.
I say to Bonito, “Your allies are great with dealing with assassins. It’s like you didn’t even need my help.”
“I only needed your help in figuring out what the poor were planning. My allies and I can handle every threat from there. As you can tell, the Cuchillos are a powerful ally to you if not the most powerful.”
“They will be useful. I assume I have their trust.”
“You gained our trust the moment you agreed to help me. We will give you our honorary weapon when we get back to my tower. My guards should be packing my stuff right now so I can move in with you.”
“You’re what?”
“I told you I’d be your maidservant. There’s no arguing with me. You said that Tunc told you to seek me out just like how he told you to seek out Donna. If God brought the two of you together for marriage, why isn’t this the same?”
‘You aren’t supposed to marry her.’
“He told me that I’m not supposed to marry you.”
“But I will get what I want in one way or another. You’ll love me when I do. Just you wait.”
I don’t like the sinister smile on her face. It gives me the chills.
‘Keep an eye on her.’
I’ll have to keep more than one set of eyes on her.
When I arrive at Bonito’s tower, I’m awarded the Cuchillos honorary weapon meant for heroes by a large group of Cuchillos that I assume are Bonito’s allies. They’re curved swords with each blade being the same color of the hilt that being gold and dark grey. Once the small celebration is over and everything is packed, Donna, Lilia, Bonito, my Sparrows, Bonito’s guards, and I-
‘That’s a long list of people you got. It looks like you got a small army following you.’
And I have more Sparrows spread throughout the land.
‘You might have the largest force in the land before you know it.’
That sounds like an interesting idea, but I just can’t wait to get back home.
‘So your harem can be complete.’
That’s not why! My house isn’t even that large to fit everyone else.
‘Make it bigger then. You should have enough wealth and workers to make it happen.’
I guess. I’ll have to figure it out when after I gain the Fedele’s trust.
‘That’s going to be easier said than done since your people don’t value worldly accomplishments as much.’
I already know what kind of task I will have to complete to gain their trust. It’s simple but difficult. It’s something I don’t want to think about now. I just want to go home and rest for a day.
‘Sounds like a good plan, but I doubt you’ll be able to with all of these ladies in your house. I doubt you’ll be able to rest in the carriage right now with how all of these ladies are staring at each other.’
The stress of it will put me to sleep. Just watch…Told you.
‘We didn’t have a bet so I don’t owe you anything.’
I have to do that next time.
‘Jokes on you because I can look at the future.’
But you can’t look at the future like how God looks at it so your view of it is what He wants you to see.
‘And He’s going to show you a better version just to get one on over me?’
It’s not like you have Heaven guaranteed to you yet. You still have to be humbled and corrected for what you did.
‘You don’t have to remind me.’
But I do.
‘…You’re right. Thanks.’
What are friends for?
‘We’re…friends?’
Of course we are, but I’m still going to beat you up after I gain my people’s full trust. Your never-ending jokes about harems get on my nerves.
‘Oh…well, uh. I don’t know what to say to that.’
Don’t say anything. Just don’t do it anymore.
‘…okay.’
Thank you. My hometown of Umile is bustling with more people than usual today. It seems that someone sent a message ahead of me and told them about my arrival. People cheer and throw confetti as I arrive. Ever since I became a hero, my hometown has grown and expanded. I wave to the crowd as I exit my carriage as my Sparrow’s and Bonito’s guards cover my entrance back into my house. The house looks as good as always with statues of saints and angels. The pictures of God as a human still give me an uplifting feeling since He came down and suffered for us to redeem us. Pictures of His human mother and father are also placed around the house so that it’s protected from any kind of demonic influence. Stella and my parents come down holding my baby boys and girl. I shouldn’t be surprised to see the look on their face because I’ve brought two girls in the house, but I still feel awkward.
Regardless, they say, “Benedetto! Welcome back!”
‘If only I could tell them that you slept with both of them.’
What did I say?!
‘That’s going to be the last one I promise! I couldn’t help it!’
“Hello, Stella, mom, and dad!”
My mom gets right to it and asks, “Who are these lovely ladies with you?”
“These are Lilia and Bonito. Both of them were vital in helping me gain the trust of the other two cultures.”
Both of them blush.
Lilia says, “Oh, I uh. You’re giving me too much credit. Haha.”
“It’s a pleasure meeting you mister and misses Vuoto,” Bonito says with a bow.
“What are they going to do here?” Stella says with an anxious look on her face.
“They’re going to be my special guards and will be staying with me at all times, so they’re going to…be…moving in…”
I can’t believe what I’m saying. There’s a moment of silence as everything just seems awkward for everyone except Bonito who’s smiling.
Volante, my house’s cook, comes out of the kitchen and says, “Excuse me for being late! I just wanted to get dinner on the table before you arrived. Oh, and I see that you’ve brought two lovely ladies to join us! It’s a good thing I always make a little extra. Come in and make yourself at home!”
Volante is always good at coming in at the right moments. He used to own his own restaurant, but now he’s hired by me, which he gladly accepted. He still goes to his old restaurant when he isn’t cooking for us to manage it with his son. Dinner is as good as always with a variety of salad, spaghetti, chicken, bread, wine, and tea. Everyone enjoys themselves including Lilia and Bonito who I assume haven’t had Fedele food before. I tell Stella, my parents, and Volante all about what happened during my journey while leaving out Bonito’s poisoning of my Sparrows. We have a good time for a while before deciding to relax out back in the yard. Lilia and Bonito play with the kids while talking to my mom and dad while Donna watches over them. Stella and I are sitting together on a step watching all of them. Lilia seems to be having a good time though I don’t trust Bonito too much. She’s an influential woman who might influence my kids to do something I wouldn’t approve of.
“How did it get to this, Benedetto?”
“What do you mean, Stella?”
“Remember way back when you weren’t a hero? You were going to be in a relationship with me, but then you had to leave for a family trip. You were ambushed by the Sparrows then returned with their leader head over heels for you.”
“We went over this before and you know what I think. Where’s Franco?”
“He probably overslept. Don’t change the subject.”
“Why? What else do you want me to say?”
“How could you come back with two more girls?”
“That’s not my fault. It’s just part of being a hero. I attract people to me, so why would this be weird?”
“Because they’re girls living with us. I’m assuming they like you.”
“…A-”
“I’m right, aren’t I?”
“Yeah, but that’s not the reason why I’m letting them live with me.”
“Why is it then?!”
‘Oooh. Careful there.’
“Look, Bonito is a powerful woman and I’m not sure what damage she could do. I didn’t tell anyone yet, but she poisoned all of my Sparrows including Donna and Lilia without them knowing.”
“You should’ve let the poison kill Donna.”
“Stella!”
“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said that. What about Lilia?”
“She’s a somewhat innocent girl and one of my biggest fans apparently. I just feel so bad for the way her parents treated her and how lonely she was before she talked to us.”
“She’s okay, but I don’t think you need a grown-up daughter.”
“Heh, don’t tell Donna that. She already wants more kids.”
“Oh…God, please help Benedetto.”
“I’m going to need it if she’s serious.”
“Well as long as you keep things under control between them, I’m fine with them being here.”
“Who are you, my wife?”
“No, I’m your still your best friend who’s looking out for you.”
“Sure.”
“What?”
“Nothing. I can keep them under control. It shouldn’t be too hard.”
‘That’s usually how trouble starts.’
I just felt a cold breeze. That was weird.
‘Oh, it’s going to be trouble.’
I’m going to say a few extra prayers tonight.
‘I’m going to give you some too.’
Please do.
It already looks like tomorrow is going to be a mess. Bonito has her bed in my room and so does Lilia. To make sure nothing happens, Stella moves into the room as well. Donna can’t help but hold onto me more tightly than she usually does.
‘Your future is not looking good.’
Don’t even tell me. Just keep praying!
‘I’m trying!’
The morning starts off interesting with Lilia coming to my bedside with breakfast. She put together a maid outfit and looks cuter than I thought with it on.
‘You’re telling me.’
“Lilia?”
“I-I thought I’d show my appreciation for you by making my own breakfast for you.”
“And the outfit?”
“It’s a little something more for you.”
Once Bonito wakes up, she gets jealous of what Lilia does for me and changes into a maid outfit of her own. Lilia and Donna cover my eyes while she changes of course.
‘Ha! I get to watch.’
Shut up, you perverted old man!
Once she’s done, she tries to give me a morning massage.
‘H-’
Shut up! It’s not that!
This starts a fight with all of the girls until Donna pushes them away from me.
She then says, “All of you stop it! He’s my husband and if you have any respect for him, then you’ll leave him alone!”
The other girls then walk downstairs.
“Thank you, Donna.”
“You’re welcome, love. You are going to reward me once we get some real privacy, right?”
“I’ll think about it.”
“This is non-negotiable. You’re mine and I’m going to do with you what I want.”
If this is some punishment for something I did, then I need to get absolution for my sins asap.
‘She’s your wife. What’s wrong with what she’s asking?’
It’s just I don’t exactly like it when she gets rough and controlling.
‘That’s the best part in my opinion when it becomes a struggle.’
Okay, I am never going to talk to you about anything sex-related. Alright? It’s a deal.
The rest of the day is a series of stressful events. Lilia tries biting my neck, Bonito tries kissing me, Stella scolds me while pretending she doesn’t want to kill the other three to have me to herself, and Donna tries to protect me when she’s around. The only time I get to relax is when I’m with my kids. This makes the girls passive though I think they’re acting this way to try to prove themselves as the better wife/mother. I don’t even want to know what mom, dad, and Volante are thinking.
Franco actually comes in at one point in the day when I’m surrounded by the four girls as they argue over me.
“Franco!”
“Benedetto! I can see that you got a couple more girls to your harem!”
‘Hey, he said it not me.’
“I don’t have a harem! Can you give me a little help here?”
“I’m afraid I can’t.”
“Just try something. Anything!”
“Okay.”
Franco approaches the girls and says to them, “If you girls are looking for a man, I’m available.”
Stella snickers, Bonito laughs at him, and Lilia ignores him.
“That’s fine. I already have a lady interested in me. I just came by to see how you were doing Benedetto, but I can see that you’re busy. I’m going to respectfully leave.”
“Come on man, you can stay a little longer! Wait!”
Dang it. I really hope he has a girl interested in him. He’s a good friend.
‘A good friend that abandoned you.’
I can’t blame him since I don’t know what to do in this situation either. The rest of the day is a blur, but it starts to settle down at night, and by settling down I mean I somehow manage to have all of the girls sleeping in the same bed with me. Neither of them trusts me with the other so this is how it is. Donna at my right, Lilia on my left with her mouth on my neck, and Stella and Bonito on me. I don’t know how they managed to fall asleep like this. I guess the entire day tired them out.
‘Lucky man.’
I’m not lucky! I’m cursed! I’m so uncomfortable like this! I feel like I’m going to suffocate to death.
‘Ha! It would be one of the best ways to die that I’ve seen in a while!’
No, it wouldn’t!
‘Relax, you’re just falling asleep.’
I’m going to get the trust of my people tomorrow. If I relax again, it’s just going to be more of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment