Thursday, August 31, 2017

Tips on collecting comics and video games

If you've seen pictures of my collections of comics and video games, you know that I have a lot of them. If you haven't, here are a few pictures.


Quite a lot right? Now you must be wondering how did I get so many. Well the obvious answer is that I used money, but how did I get so much with my part time job and my self-publishing career? I'll be giving you a few tips as to how to get your collection of books, video games, movies, whatever to somewhere on this level.

  • (for writers) Make something that people really want. I made a book Trapped Body and Soul in a Video Game that critiqued and improved on the widely hated, but popular Sword Art Online series. This book sold about 200 copies and has a few 5 star reviews. I also talked to a few YouTubers who also critiqued SAO which lead to fans of theirs buying my book. The result is that I got the Berserk series (38 volumes) and I paid for several book giveaways. This is also thanks to birthday money, but that's besides the point. Talk to people who are interested in a book that is not made yet and the rest will follow.
  • (for college aged part time workers) I work as a stock boy at Macy's and I don't make too much since I only go in when there's a truck or things that need to be done there. Also school doesn't help in this as it takes up time. Try to save up while sacrificing certain titles and buying others. While I'm talking to college aged people or just people in college, actually study for a degree that will get you a good paying job (accountant, computers, preferably a job in business).
  • Wait for coupons and deals (buy 2 get 1 free, 20% off).
  • Don't buy titles that you know are bad unless they're cheap and you want to challenge yourself.
  • eBay is your best friend as I've had the best deals there. Amazon's marketplace of other sellers is good as well though I've had comics ship and arrive faster from there.
  • On eBay, if there's a lot of people watching the item and this item is at a good price then there's a good possibility one person will buy it sooner than you think. In my experience, it's a good idea to spend a bit more to get good deals on items now than later as someone will buy it when you're least expecting it. This kind of also applies to Amazon, but it doesn't happen as often there.
  • Buy from series that you know are complete and maybe wait for a different series to end until you buy another issue. This is for people who buy from multiple series.
  • Don't try to collect everything from every series. Maybe buy one volume from every series, but that's it. Dedicate yourself to only a select number of series that you can count on one and a half hands unless you can find great deals or have a lot of money.
This is a good number of tips that you should keep in mind and I'd like to hear any other tips or advice that you have when it comes to collecting comics, video games, or whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment