Sunday, March 21, 2021

No True Hero: Chapter 4 – Men Against gods

My work is my gift

My blood is my witness

My vengeance is swift

It will be as written

I have been in captivity

But my God will have the final victory

-          A Psalm of St. Matteo the Black Thorn

Chapter 4 – Men Against gods

As Valerius and his followers wait for the approaching army of gods, they do not become anxious until they hear the sound of them approaching and see them in the distance. Already they can tell they are outmatched in terms of gear and ability, but they do not shake or let worry overcome them.

Valerius stands before the army and asks in a thunderous voice, “Have you come to repent?”

Some of the gods hesitate at hearing Valerius with his loud voice again with some chattering among their fellow gods if they should even challenge him.

Lucian uses his influential voice in return, and says, “Submit yourself to justice and we may have mercy on you.”

Lucian’s voice isn’t as commanding as the one that speaks through Valerius and both sides can tell this.

“I’m done serving your form of justice. Repent or perish!”

“Before I used to think that you had the most sense out of everyone, but now that I see I am mistaken. Let us see who the one true God deems is right.”

An entire castle with walls is instantly raised from the ground around Lucian and his pantheon with gods already in towers and key points of defense. Valerius and his followers are shaken and starting to doubt their cause. Even his uncle and father are beginning to wonder what they should do.

Lucian continues, “How can a God that allows us to do this be against us? I don’t know what happened to you but come back to the light of God.”

Valerius knows how everyone is feeling and steels himself as he lets God inspire him and says, “God is in everything including the darkness.”

A darkness comes out from Valerius’ body in a storm that envelops the entire area and prevents any light from shining in. The abilities of the gods are muted while Valerius and his followers are able to quietly move through the darkness without being noticed. One by one Lucian’s pantheon falls while he is confused as to what to do. While Valerius goes into Lucian’s castle, he murders every false god that he sees. His bloodlust begins to get to him as he starts to take his time with them by scaring them or cutting off one of their limbs before finishing them off. His kills become less quick and painless and start to become slow and sadistic. Once the area leading up to the top is cleared, his mind clears and he begins to worry about what he did.

“Please, God, forgive me for what I did,” Valerius confesses, “I let myself be too engrossed in the battle and I lost myself…please tell me that you forgive me. Please tell me what I should do.” After a minute of reflection and panic, a strange calm comes over him as he realizes something. “I know what I should do. It’s right in front of me and I’m still alive, which means I still have the chance to atone for my sins.”

Valerius enters the top floor and kills Lucian’s guards with their lives being snuffed out before they can react to him. He then shows himself to Lucian and the two look at each other.

“I’m amazed that you were able to do this all in a short amount of time. You must truly be blessed by God then. Can you tell me what happened to you?” Lucian asks.

“I spoke to St. Matteo, God opened my mind to the truth, and now we’re here. What else is there to say?” Valerius responds.

“Heh, I guess nothing, but I still believe that you’re in the wrong. I’m sorry to do this to you.”

Lucian consumes the artifact and becomes a god with a single face comprised of seven faces, six bodies, and five limbs, however, Valerius is unafraid even as reality bends around him. He is unshaken by the visions and voices in his head, the attacks that come out of nowhere, and the pain that the very air causes him. This battle is felt by everyone in and around the castle walls as Valerius’ uncle, father, and followers retreat. They count everyone and notice that Valerius is gone but can see from the light at the top that someone is still fighting. Assuming it to be Valerius, they pray and cheer for him.

“Why doesn’t the pain affect you?!” Lucian asks.

“It is my offering to God. My suffering is the proof of my love for God because without it there is no love,” Valerius answers.

“What madness are you speaking about?!”

“I speak the truth who has freed me.”

The darkness surrounds Lucian and he is unable to see or sense Valerius as he is slashed at and his heads are cut off. With his last head, he tries to pin point Valerius for one last attack only for a blade to go into his chest where the artifact is. Now that it is damaged, the artifact begins releasing immense energy that tears apart Lucian from the inside.

“Wait! If you destroy the artifact, it’ll kill us both!” Lucian says.

“I don’t care. It’s worth it to save your soul,” Valerius says.

“You’d die for me?”

“Yes, I would. Take my hand and come with me to Heaven, old friend.”

Captivated by Valerius’ brotherly love, Lucian takes Valerius' hand and repents of what he did as Valerius destroys the artifact and blows them both up along with the entire castle and surrounding walls. Basil, Gregory, and the rest of Valerius’ followers manage to survive with no casualties on their side, however, every one of Lucian’s pantheon is dead.

Looking over the destruction and seeing no sign of Valerius, Gregory puts his hand on Basil and says, “Your son was braver than both of us combined.”

“That, your nephew, was,” Basil responds, “I’m sorry for what I said to you before and putting you in prison for preaching the truth, brother.”

“Don’t worry about it. You are my brother and I should never have hated you. Let’s not waste what Valerius has given to us.”

“What should we do? Should we finish off the pantheon in the Crown?”

“Not unless God tells us to. Let’s wait for the right opportunity before we strike.”

“Good idea.”

The brothers gather their forces and go to the Void at the bottom of the world to wait for God’s command. After knowing of Lucian’s defeat, the pantheon of gods in the Crown manipulate the truth and pretend that he was a god-saint who gave his life to face the Crow of Death, which is the name they gave to Valerius. Life continues on as normal for the world except an invisible impact has taken place with the death of so many false gods and the destruction of the artifact that made men into gods. A few weeks pass and Killian, a young friend of Valerius, is praying at the Church of the One True God as it is being destroyed. He feels a voice whisper to him and the wind pushes him in a direction. Killian follows this feeling and bumps into a familiar garbed in black.

“I’m sorry,” Killian says to the man while looking at him.

“Don’t worry about it, I’m fine. Is there something, boy? You look troubled,” the man responds.

“Oh, the Church of the One True God is being torn down and worship of Him is being devalued in favor of the other gods.”

“That is a tragedy especially since the gods will forget who lets them have their power. I have something here that was handed down to me by St. Matteo. I have no use for it anymore, but since you seem to be devoted to the one true God, then you might like it.”

“Really? I’ll take it if you’ll give it to me.”

“Promise me that you won’t show it off. You may get in trouble for it.”

“I promise!”

“Give me your hand then.”

The garbed in black takes Killian’s hand and a small vine of black thorns crawls up Killian’s arm and attaches itself to him. He looks at the thorny vine in amazement.

“It certainly is something special. This must be a real relic of St. Matteo.”

“Does the pain bother you?”

“No, it doesn’t.”

“That’s strange for someone to say especially when so many people try to avoid as much pain and suffering as possible.”

“I don’t mind pain as much as other people. It’s what you need to help grow after all. It’s what I heard from somewhere from someone. You remind me of him actually. What’s your name?”

When Killian looks back to where the man was, he sees that the man has disappeared as if he were not there to begin with.

“There you are, Killian! What are you doing out here?” a girl’s voice calls out.

Killian quickly hides the vine of thorns and says, “Oh, it’s nothing!”

“Come on, we have to go back to training!”

“I’m coming!”

 

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment