Saturday, May 18, 2019

A Mother and Her Shattering Son: Chapter 5 – A Mother’s Duty

Chapter 5 – A Mother’s Duty

Even before reaching the area around the springs, Rosalia knew she was going to have a tough time. The forest around the around is completely dead. It senses that Rosalia will need help, but it's too weak to regrow anything and all the nearby fauna and creatures are still recovering. Broken siege weapons and the shattering pieces of soldiers litter the ground. The stench of death is pungent in the air and the sounds of despair and anger echo.
Ahead of Rosalia is a large Flos encampment that has been made into a miniature castle with a wall and various small guard towers around it. The fighting has gone on for so long that you wouldn’t be blamed for thinking this encampment was a small town for how large it is. There are other encampments like it around the springs, but this one is the command site and the largest. Rosalia heads into the camp once the guards recognize her.
A Flos commander meets up with her, and says, “You’ve come a long way through dangerous obstacles to come here, Rosalia. It’s impressive for a mother with a past such as yours.”
“I don’t think you want to cause me any trouble.”
“Oh no, we don’t harbor any feelings of hate towards you. We just want to get your son to the springs. I don’t even think what you did counts as a crime that we can punish.”
“Good. Do you have a plan? My son doesn’t have long.”
“Yes, but it’ll be messy. I think it’s best if you stay here.”
“I have my black bull and the forest can come to my aid. I can come with you.”
“Can’t you command your bull and the forest to protect us? Why do you have to come with us?”
“I’m a mother. I’m supposed to protect my child.”
“I see. Since it doesn’t look like I can change your mind, we’ll start moving out.” The commander then turns to his soldiers. “Come on, men! We don’t have much time!”
The forces of the Flos start deploying and put protection mages around Rosalia so they can form a shield to protect her. The other encampments deploy their forces to attack the Crystallis ahead of time to clear a path for her. Once they head out, they see the Crystallis army heading for them. Both armies converge on the springs in the middle of the battlefield as their siege weapons launch their barrages on both sides. The battlefield becomes a violent mess of soldiers as Rosalia makes her way to the springs. The shield protecting her is quickly destroyed and the mages who made them are taken out. Other Flos soldiers come to her aid, but they have to engage with the Crystallis in order to protect her and aren’t able to stay by her side.
A barrage of fireballs land near Rosalia, which knocks her off the black bull. The area around her is mostly clear and the springs are in sight, so she makes a run for it as the barrages continue to rain from the sky. The black bull sees that one of them is about to directly hit her, so it leaps out to protect her from it, but is shattered into pieces.
“Thank you,” Rosalia whispers as she runs with everything she’s got.
The springs are only steps away when an arrow barrage comes down upon her. Most of the arrows manage to hit her and pierce through her shield. The last arrows pierce through her core, but she manages to put Rhodes in the springs.
“I love you, my little prince,” she says as she shatters.
As Rhodes lays in the springs, his body not only heals but he is also transformed.
Crystal robes made for a king, eyes like the moon, hair as red as fire, and doll shell like the finest porcelain. Since Rosalia’s death, the forest has gone on a rampage. It breaks through both the Flos and Crystallis forces to the springs where it mourns her death for a few seconds before focusing its rage on the Crystallis army.
Rhodes then says to the forest, “No. Do not do this. Spare them. My mother wanted a world of peace and love, and that is what I will give to her.”
Seeing that the forest has trouble controlling itself, Rhodes begins to sing a song to calm it down. Rosalia and his father join him in spirit to strengthen his song.

“You might be weak
But you are also strong
You might be angry
But I’ve seen you happy
You might hate
But you can love

And because of this

You are everything to me
You are all I’ll ever need
Even when the world is falling apart
Even when life takes its toll
You will always be my everything

 All the wealth
All the diamonds in the world
Everything in the universe is nothing compared to you

Your value is limitless
Nothing is worth exchanging for you
If your life were in danger, I’d give my life so you could live

And because of this

You are everything to me
You are all I’ll ever need
Even when the world is falling apart
Even when life takes its toll
You will always be my everything

You are everything to me
You are all I’ll ever need
Even when the world is falling apart
Even when life takes its toll
You will always be my everything”

The forest calms down and releases energy that calms down everyone on the battlefield. The springs burst forth and showers the battlefield. There is no longer any hatred between the two armies. No one feels like fighting anymore and the two sides come together and apologize for what they’ve done and promise to stop fighting. The vegetation around the springs spring back to life as love being is spread. The springs themselves begin to spread throughout the world because of the sacrifice of Rosalia and shower the world with its calming waters.
Rhodes hears in his head his mother’s voice that says, “The war will end very soon. I told you that I would make sure that you would live in a world of peace, happiness, and love. I may not have expected it to be this way, but I know you’ll be happy and safe. Find the love of your life and don’t let them go.”
“I will. Thank you, mom.”

The End

The song that inspired this song/poem is Everything Good by Ashes Remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment