Tuesday, May 14, 2019

A Mother and Her Shattering Son: Chapter 2 – Causalities and Captives

Chapter 2 – Causalities and Captives
After a long stretch of walking, Rosalia finally makes it to civilization though it is a bit small. It is a small village town that appears to have been recently affected by the war as people repair their broken buildings and homes. Destroyed crops are being plucked out of the ground as new ones are planted. Pieces of dying dolls are passed onto their families so they can continue to carry their family’s legacy while the enemy dolls are put together then wrapped honorably. Before, the Flos used to send carts of Crystallis doll shells to the enemy as a sign of respect for their enemy, but the Crystallis destroyed most of the carts because the Crystallis view the hollow shells of their comrades as useless and valueless. During these recent times, the Flos just bury the shells of their enemies in their own special grave site away from the graves of the Flos.
One of the normal civilians says, “I don’t get it. Why do we need to respect the bodies of their dead when they don’t do the same for their own? I’ve heard horror stories of what they do to the bodies of our soldiers. We should burn them all in a fire because that’s where their souls end up anyway!”
“Don’t be so disrespectful. I’ve heard dozens of reports that say some of the Crystallis travel over to honor their dead,” a relative responds.
“It’s just their pride that makes them do this,” a villager says, “Besides, we shouldn’t be like the savages.”
“You’re right. We should take the Crystallis that come over and hold them for ransom!”
“Stop saying and thinking such things! You’re no different than them if you truly think this way.”
Rosalia approaches the hateful person and says, “He’s right you know. We should find ways to love our enemies and be respectful to their dead. Being as evil as the worst of them is only going to make things worse.”
“Hmph.”
The hateful person walks away while their relative walks with them.
“We don’t see many understanding people like you around here. What brings you to our recovering little town?”
“I’m just passing through. My own little town was recently attacked by the Crystallis and my baby boy here was affected by a terrible spell. I have to get him to the springs to have him cured.”
“That’s a dangerous journey, but I won’t stop you from taking it. Some of our city guards would accompany you along the way, but whoever we have left are guarding us as we repair our homes and I don’t think we can spare even one.”
“I understand. I pray that your town stays safe.”
“You’re a strong mother. What is your name?”
“Rosalia.”
“Rosalia…I’ve heard that name somewhere before. You don’t happen to famous, do you?”
“If I was, I wouldn’t look like this.”
“That makes sense. Rosalia must be just a memorable name then. Is there a reason why you still defend the Crystallis even though they just destroyed your home?”
“Because they’re dolls like us. Even though they come from the crystal, we were still made in the same place by the same creator. We may think differently, but we’re still related, and our lives are both equally beyond value.”
“I see. Well, I’m sorry for taking up so much of your time. You can take some of our healing fragments to give your boy a little more time.”
“Thank you so much.”
“Don’t mention it.”
After healing Rhodes a little, Rosalia says goodbye then leaves the town. She travels down the roads as they should be safer than the forest though not by much. There’s still a chance the Crystallis might come down the roads or the forest might come to life and reach out to crush her.
Rosalia says to Rhodes, “I’m glad the townsfolk didn’t recognize me. There would’ve been trouble if they did. Anyway, let me tell you more about your father since he won’t be able to tell you himself. He was a brave and proud man. He risked everything he had including his life to be with me since he was from a royal family. The way he loved people and nature was breathtaking. He loved being in love with everything and everyone so much that he wrote songs and poems about almost everything. It’s where I get my songs from.”
Ahead of Rosalia is an incoming band of Crystallis. They have a huge black bull under their control, which is a huge black beast with black horns, a white face, and red and black eyes in this world. It struggles against the control of its captors along with the other creatures that have been captured.
“Poor things,” she says to herself as she hides on the side of the road in a tree, “The raiding party is headed towards the town. They won’t be able to fight against the bull and the other creatures along with the Crystallis. I want to do something, but what am I going to do?”
Rosalia thinks of a couple of plans before deciding on one course of action. She throws two fire darts, conjured by a spell, at the chains that bind the bull to free it. Once it’s free, it puts the Crystallis into a panic. While the bull rampages about, Rosalia frees the rest of the creatures. Once she does, the black bull stares her down with its face in hers. Neither her nor Rhodes are intimated, and this silent show of courage gains Rosalia the respect of the bull and creatures.
A larger party of Crystallis that’s half the size of a legion then show up in the distance. This party was dragged ahead by the creatures, who were craving violence. Now that they’re free, they rage against their captors along with Rosalia. They destroy everything around them with the aid of the forest. Fauna and vegetation come to life as some of the creatures are shattered in battle. Despite the strength of the Crystallis, the numbers and overall strength of nature and Rosalia overwhelm them.
Once the dust settles, the forest closes in on Rosalia, but the black bull and leftover creatures silently pick up for her. The vegetation and fauna return to the forest and the creatures do the same. The black bull nuzzles Rosalia’s face and pets the top of Rhodes’ head, which makes him giggle. It then goes back into the forest while looking back at the two. It accidentally bumps into a large tree and gets slapped by it, which makes Rosalia laugh. The black bull then pays attention to where it’s going after one last look back with a smile.
Rhodes giggles again.
Rosalia continues on her way as she says, “See? Not all of nature is bad. Now, where was I? Oh yeah. Your father loved singing and making songs. Here’s one that I remember that he sang every other day.

I can’t be away from you any longer
But part of me still resists
I wish I was stronger

When we are together,
It feels like Heaven
When I leave you,
Part of me is left behind

You give my empty life meaning
I finally have a person who loves me back
You have woken me up from my foolishness
I know what I must do

Because I can’t be without you any longer
You are who keeps me going
You are who makes me stronger

I’ll endure all the hardships
Fight all the battles
And suffer the worst pain
Because I can’t be without you any longer
I am reinvigorated because of you
I am reborn into a new man ready to take on the world
Whatever you request, you will have
Whatever you command, I will obey

You say that you’re not worth it
That you’re not worth anything
But you’re worth more than you think
You’re my light that brightens up the darkness

You give my empty life meaning
I finally have a person who loves me back
You have woken me up from my foolishness
I know what I must do
Because I can’t be without you any longer
You are who keeps me going
You are who makes me stronger

I’ll endure all the hardships
Fight all the battles
And suffer the worst pain
Because I can’t be without you any longer

I will do all you want and more
My love for you knows no boundaries or obstacles
So,
Will you please be with me forever?”

Rosalia feels something watching her. She turns around to see the black bull watching her. It appears to have been attracted by her singing, but now it goes back into the forest as if it is embarrassed to be caught listening to her singing. Rosalia smiles at the creature’s cute nature despite its looks.
“Your father might as well have been a love bird for all the love he showed to others. He was more charitable and loving than his relatives to the point where people were wondering if he was an angel. I thought a person like him was beyond my reach, but when I showed how charitable I was when I gave away everything I had on me for a poor person he accidentally missed, he fell for me. Literally and figuratively speaking since he fell off his horse to kiss my hand. It was sad and funny at the same time, haha. I still can’t help but laugh when I remember it happening.
Still, your father did his best to impress me even though he did make a fool of himself a few times…okay, a lot of times. I felt like I didn’t deserve it especially since I couldn’t return anything on the same scale as him, but when I expressed my feelings about this, he said, ‘Don’t you worry. If you give me your love, then I will have something that is worth more than the entire universe’. I don’t know where he came up with his words, but he made me fall for him so many times because of them. Being without him is going to be difficult…”
Rhodes makes a whimpering sound.
“But don’t worry, we’ll make it through this. Your father is always with us in spirit now. Trust me.”
Rhodes giggles and Rosalia smiles as she wipes away her tears and continues traveling down the road.



The song that inspired the song/poem is Can't Fight This Feeling by REO Speedwagon. I don't know why so many old songs are inspiring my songs/poems, but they're great songs to listen to and be inspired by.

No comments:

Post a Comment