Monday, July 20, 2020

Villains are People too: Chapter 2 – Web of Lies

Chapter 2 – Web of Lies
For the next three weeks, Zain uses his undead to destroy the enemies of Lampada. All the resources he obtains he gives back to Lampada while only keeping the undead that he gains through battle. He doesn’t mind that he’s barely rewarded for his actions because he can sustain himself with his family’s land and the profit that he makes from it along with the food and water grew on it. The most important thing that keeps him going is that he’s finally accepted by the kingdom again while they investigate the kingdom for the people responsible for corrupting it. They only found one person that they brought to justice, but this sense of semi-normalcy is enough for Zain.
The people of the other tribes have hardly warmed up to Zain especially when he has his undead walk with him as if it were normal. It’s even stranger when he hangs out with his undead friends and family that he constantly talks to. Zain even dresses his friends and family in the outfits they would wear when they were together. One day, Zain decides to bring his friends and family to the tribe where Alain and Valentino are. Before he goes to their house, he travels around the town to visit familiar locations. Both of his old friends watch him from a distance as he approaches the house.
“If you didn’t think he lost his mind, now you do,” Valentino says.
“I know he lost his mind when I looked into his eyes, after he murdered that tribe,” Alain says with a sigh.
“What do you think we should do?”
“Nothing. Like we’re supposed to. Things might get messy if we do anything.”
“You’re right. I can’t wait for the moment when-”
“Hello, friends!” Zain says as he enters the house. “Oh? They’re upstairs? Thank you for telling me.”
“I told them not to tell him that we’re up here.”
“He won’t stay for long after I tell him what he doesn’t want to hear.”
Zain barrages in the room with his family and friends behind him and says, “Hello, Valentino and Alain! It’s been too long since we last saw each other.”
His old friends turn around to look at Zain’s smiling face and his family and friends waving at them. With a reaction of disgust on their face, they turn back to look out the window.
“Ah! I must apologize for the last time we met,” Zain says.
“We don’t want to hear it,” Valentino says.
“Oh! That’s good because it was kind of awkward, wasn’t it? Haha, anyways to repay what I did, here are some gifts I brought for you.”
Zain’s friends bring Valentino and Alain their gives and put them on a nearby table.
“For you, Valentino, I bought you some armor and swords. I know how you like collecting exotic armor and weapons that you show off and use. For you, Alain, I bought you the jewelry and paintings that I said I would months ago. I didn’t have the money to buy them before, but since I do now, I thought I would do what I said and-”
“Valentino and I are getting married, Zain.”
“…haha, that’s great! I knew my friend here had good taste.”
“You aren’t invited to the wedding.”
“How come? We’re friend-”
“We aren’t friends, Zain! You stopped having any place in our life when you became…whatever it is you are now.”
“Alain…Valentino…I’m still the same Zain you remember.”
“The Zain I know is dead. Leave us.”
Zain’s family and friends try reaching out to Alain and Valentino, but they hold out their hand to them.
“You are just as bad as him for following him. We don’t want to hear from you either,” Alain says.
Caught off guard by what Alain said, Zain leaves the house with his family and friends without saying anything.
“You weren’t too harsh on him,” Valentino says.
“I was too soft,” Alain corrects.
Zain’s family and friends try to comfort Zain as he begins to cry. He immediately leaves the town with them in the hopes of getting what just happened out of his head. On the next day, a messenger from Lampada gives Zain a new target to attack. His target is a foe he’s faced before but never been able to kill. Now that he has an army of the undead, maybe he finally can. He heads out with a small force equipped with weapons he knows that will be effective to face this singular foe.
In the mountains, he finds the cave where his enemy is. He sends in undead equipped with torches on their backs and arrows lit with fire. They fire into the cave as they explore it to disarm several traps and kill some large spiders. The other undead break through the cave’s walls to destroy other traps and spiders while making sure to burn whatever spiderwebs they find.
“Zain, it’s been too long,” a feminine voice echoes from the caves.
“It’s been too short,” Zain retorts.
“Don’t be like that. You’ve changed a lot since we last met.”
“I almost died the last time we met because I got myself ensnared in your traps.”
“Good times, right?”
“Far from it.”
“I know why you’re here. My little spiders have told me.”
“Then you should give up. I know every trick you have.”
“Oh, really now?”
Zain breaks through a part of the cave’s wall that’s slightly open and finds his target behind it. He quickly catches her and puts his sword to his neck.
“Yes, really.”
“You have changed, and it looks like it’s for the better.”
“Don’t tease me, Verity, Mother of the Spiders. I don’t even know why you call yourself that when you’re as old as me.”
“It’s because I’m the mother of all the spiders you killed.”
“You’re their mother only because of the demonic spells that you’ve been using.”
“You’re no stranger to demonic magic because of your undead army. You even use them for the same reason I use my spiders. For revenge and justice.”
“I don’t use demonic magic. This undead army was given to me by an angel.”
“That’s what you think. Even though Lampada is full of hypocrites, they are right about you being a criminal.”
“I’m no longer a criminal to them.”
“They’re playing you for a fool while they enact their plan against you as we speak. They’re burning down your undead army and freeing them from their souls from their mortal bodies.”
“Why would I believe anything you say?”
“Because I know more than you know. My spiders tell me everything that happens on the outside.”
“If that’s true, tell me something to convince me.”
“Yesterday, you bought armor and swords for Valentino and jewelry and paintings for Alain. They didn’t take too kindly to your gifts and booted you out of their house with their harsh words. I’m sure hearing the news of them getting married destroyed your plans of trying to remarry Alain. It’s a shame that the ring you bought will have no owner other than yourself.”
“Tch, I guess you’re telling the truth, but my undead army wouldn’t burn to ash because of a holy cleansing. My undead army is holy. If the kingdom is really attacking them, then it’s in vain.”
“But it is effective, and your army is being destroyed as we speak. How about I show you what’s happening through my spiders?”
“No, I don’t want to be bitten by you again.”
“Aww, but the time we had together was so nice. I’ll promise to only give you a small bite to give you a glimpse. What gain would I have in controlling you when your undead soldiers could kill me in seconds after?”
“…okay. Get it over with.”
Verity softly bites Zain’s neck to show him the perspective of Verity’s spiders that are watching his undead army burn. While the two are sharing the vision, they are also sharing their feelings. Both feel a sense of justice and relatability because of their shared feelings of being hurt and losing loved ones.
“You…you feel the same things I have,” Verity says in amazement with her teeth still on Zain’s neck.
The feeling of bonding with Verity makes Zain uncomfortable so he tries to push her away while she tries to hold on. Zain then gets his undead to pull her off him. He then takes a serum out of his pocket and drinks it, so the effect of her bite wears off him.
“You bit me for too long,” Zain says.
“I couldn’t help myself. Feeling that we shared the same kind of emotions…was something else.”
“Whatever. You need to come with me.”
“Why?”
“Because I need help to fight Lampada if my army is really burned to ash.”
“Just because we shared a close moment together doesn’t mean-”
Zain cuffs and binds Verity’s legs then carries her out to his horse where they ride to his tribe’s town.
“You have a thing for kidnapping women against their wills, don’t you?” Verity jokingly asks.
The thought of everything Zain has being taken away from him again makes him focus on riding back home. When he gets there, he sees that what he saw in the vision was true. His home is in ruins as everything he’s built is destroyed. He looks around to see that the undead are fading into dust. Zain’s friends are nearly gone when he finds them and he’s too late to hold their hand that reaches out to him. Meanwhile, Verity breaks free of her restraints. She feels pity towards Zain and is reminded of when a similar event happened to her.
While looking through the wreckage, Zain finds his family. He holds them and tries not to cry as his family silently tries to comfort him with their touch before they disappear into ash along with the rest of everyone that Zain knew. His tears then overflow from his face as he experiences overwhelming pain and sadness again like the last time.
Verity approaches Zain from behind and says, “Zain…I-”
“I don’t want to hear anything. Please.”
“What? You don’t think I understand what you’re going through? You know I do, or do I need to remind you what happened to me?”
Zain remains silent in his grief.
“My family was poor until a rich man offered us money to hire my mom as his maid. What I didn’t know during the time was that he was using her as his plaything and when he got bored with her, he threw her away like the other women he hired. My dad tried to get your tribe to arrest him, but the authorities prevented any kind of investigation to happen, so he went after him only to end up dead. I know what you’re going through, so you can’t let this keep you down. You have to do something about it. Your tribe enforced the law, remember? Why don’t you do your job?”
“…you’re right. Thank you.”
Verity was going to brush off his thank you, but the words get stuck in her throat.
“Where do you think we should start?”
“Ah, what makes you think we’re going to team up?”
“You want to get revenge and see that justice happens, right? What was the point of that speech if you don’t?”
“…fine.”
The angel descends from the sky and says, “Zain, you must avenge this travesty done to you again. Heaven commands it, but do you really want to work with this woman? She dabbles in demonic magic.”
“Says the demon. I can see through your disguise. You aren’t fooling me,” Verity says.
“You lack the eyes of purity that Zain has that allow him to see me for who I really am. I am no demon, spider witch.”
“Please, angel. Purify her magic so that she can do penance for her sins and help me achieve victory for God!”
“As you will it, so it shall be done.”
A light shines on Verity that imbues her with new power.
“I feel no difference at all except now I see the demon as an angel,” Verity says.
“There’s more to blessings than feeling, but at least your eyes are open. Are you ready to get the justice we deserve? If we’re the bad guys in their eyes, then we’ll be the bad guys,” Zain says.
After considering any alternatives for a second, Verity looks at Zain and sees in him a friend that she can trust.
“Hell yes.”
“Don’t speak so improper.”
“Says the man who says that we’ll be the bad guys.”
“Heh, on second thought, we won’t just be the bad guys, we’ll be the villains. They won’t be able to take whatever and kill whoever they want anymore while claiming to be morally superior. We’ll make them pay for everything they did to us and everyone else. Just you wait. They’ll suffer. They’ll all suffer.”
For the first time in a while, Verity feels inspired and moved. She feels close to someone like she’s never felt before and puts her hand on Zain’s back then smiles to show her approval. He puts his hand on her shoulder and smiles before they head out of the ruins of Zain’s tribe to plan their attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment