Saturday, July 18, 2020

Villains are People too: Chapter 1 – It’s Good to be the Villain

Chapter 1 – It’s Good to be the Villain
Zain’s recent actions have made it clear to the tribes that make up the Kingdom of Lampada that he should be stopped, so they send a small force against him. They arrive at where the ruins of his tribe are to discover that it’s been built back up. What was once ash and wreckage is now a small town with walls and houses made of stone. The flag of his tribe waves proudly in the air above the walls. The soldiers enter the strangely empty town while wondering where everyone is.
“Be careful, men. We may be walking into a trap,” one of the captains of the groups says.
The soldiers don’t find anyone until Zain shows himself on top of his house which lies in the center of the town. Archers aim their bows at him while the knights ready their swords and shields.
“Surrender now, Zain, and we may allow you a final confession before your death,” one of the captains say.
“How about we just talk instead? Everything that I’ve built over the weeks is a result of me destroying our shared enemies of God and His Church. Perhaps that earns me the right to be heard out.”
“You lost your chance when you wiped out an allied tribe and tried to kidnap your ex-fiancée. We don’t want to hear your excuses for why you did it. You will face justice for your crimes against God and country!”
“If it’s going to be that way, then let God’s will be done.”
At Zain’s signal, the undead ambush the forces outside of his town and drag them into the dirt. More undead appear out of the ground and transform the living into the undead who turn against their allies. The ones that try to run or go around the undead are ensnared in traps that bind them and make them easy prey for Zain’s undead. With all the enemy forces wiped out, Zain sighs in disappointment. The sky then brightens as the angel that he’s been taking advice from comes down.
“Congratulations on another glorious victory for God and true goodness,” the angel says.
“Still, I hoped they would’ve given me a chance to convince them that they’re on the wrong side,” Zain says as he leaves his house.
“Their pleasure in sin weakens their intellect. It’s a tragedy that so many fall for their lies.”
“What do you think I should do next?”
“They will send an army to attack you since you’ve defeated this small force. It’s time for you to strike back at them. If they won’t listen to you, then give them a reason to.”
“What do you suggest?”
“Destroying a tribe made them hate to you, so taking another will make them fear you. I suggest going after the warrior tribe. Once you strike them down and offer them the protection of your immortal army, your forces will be stronger than theirs and you will strike a holy fear into them that will force them to listen to you.”
“Is there really no other way? What if I destroy more tribes and groups hostile to the kingdom?”
“There’s no use in appeasing these people. You’ve already tried to do this, and you’ve seen how they repay you. No matter what you do for them, they will always see you as their enemy unless you reprimand them like the sinners they are. The citizens of the kingdom think themselves holy just because the Church approves of them, when in reality, their confessions are invalid, their ways are evil, and their morals perverse. You are God’s instrument of correction. Do what you want to fulfill your role.”
“If that’s the way it is, then let it be. I’ll do what has to be done.”
Before Zain goes out, he goes to his parents. He’s dressed them up in their normal battle attire and colored their skin, so they look similar to the way they looked when they were alive. He’s done this to a couple other of his friends and close relatives, but the coloring he uses has to be reapplied weekly since their undead skin can’t support it.
“Mom, dad? We’re going to bring war to the kingdom again. The angel told me it’s what we should do. I really hope it’s the right thing. As much as I want to make the kingdom pay for its crimes, I don’t want to hurt any of the good people there. Even the corrupt ones could be saved if they repent, so hopefully, this works.”
Zain looks at his parents with a confident look in his face until it starts to fade away.
“I pray every day and I hope I can hear your wisdom in the silence. I don’t really have anyone telling me that I’m doing the right thing besides the angel, but I guess that’s all that matters. Still, I hope you’re proud of me and praying for me.”
Zain’s parents silently hug him, and he hugs them back. He then heads out with his army close behind him. By the time he makes it to the warrior tribe, the sun is beginning to set, the businesses are starting to close, and people are going home. Since the streets are emptying, Zain uses this opportunity to set up a sneak attack. He uses his burrowing undead to set up traps in the city and makes them wait in key locations. Once everything is set up, it’s nighttime. Zain begins his attack on the town starting by blowing a horn that wakes up its inhabitants.
The guards are the first ones to wake up and fall into the traps Zain’s undead set up along with those who go for the armory. In minutes, Zain surrounds and overtakes the town. Those who still have weapons are hesitant to use them because of the number of undead. They may be warriors, but they know when they’re defeated.
“Noble warriors of the kingdom Lampada, you may remember me as Zain from the tribe that was once its law enforcement. I’m here to enforce the Divine Law and will appreciate your cooperation while I draw out the corruption from this kingdom.”
“Who gave you that right?” one person in the crowd asks.
“An angel from Heaven did. The angel gave me back my tribe and allowed me to obtain justice for them.”
“You’ve slaughter hundreds of innocent people!” another accuses.
“I’ve brought justice to the evildoers who wronged me and others!”
Archers come out of the rooftops and shoot Zain. Their arrows are blocked by armored undead with shields while Zain’s archers shoot back at them and turn them to his side.
Zain continues, “If anyone else resists with violence, then they will become undead like my army.”
The crowd remains silently against Zain as they wonder what they should do.
“Send one of your messengers to bring help to you and negotiators. I only want to remove my criminal status and the corruption in the kingdom to an end.”
“You’re nothing but a devil!” a young boy says as he charges at Zain with a sword.
The boy is Zain’s age and reminds Zain of himself. An undead knight crushes the boy who becomes undead. Now, the sorry boy can hardly stand as his broken undead body struggles to support him. People start getting agitated over the death of the young boy and begin to raise their weapons.
“You monster!” they say.
“How could you do that to a child?!”
“You’re no victim!”
“You should be ashamed of yourself!”
“You’re a disgrace to your tribe!”
Because of the young boy’s death, most of the people in the town attack Zain’s army. The battle is short since the undead can hardly be harmed by their weapons even though they’re the best in the kingdom. When the dust settles, the remaining people surrender their weapons in defeat. They then comply with Zain’s request and send out a messenger. An army of soldiers along with a negotiator comes in the morning. Zain meets them with his army behind him. He bows to them in respect while they stare at him in disgust.
“Sirs, I hope you see now that I’m serious about talking this out. I’m sure you will put your biases of me aside for the time being since I easily overtook the warrior tribe of the kingdom,” Zain says.
“Fortunately for you, yes. What do you want?” a negotiator asks.
“My criminal status revoked and a chance to cleanse Lampada of corruption.”
“How do you plan to remove corruption with an army of the undead?”
“They were given to me by an angel of God. These will be our protectors and law enforcers just as my tribe was.”
“We’ll need more than their brute force to root out corruption.”
“This army is a sign by God that justice is falling upon us because of our actions. Surely, when people see them, they will repent, or some will at least try to help force out the corrupt.”
The negotiators talk to themselves for a few minutes before one says, “Alright. We see the advantages of having this army at our disposal. You still have to prove your loyalty to the Kingdom of Lampada by removing the external threats to us, if you want to be absolved as your status as a criminal. While that is happening, we will look into the corruption in the kingdom.”
Zain bows with a smile and says, “Thank you, thank you so much! My army and I will be at your service.”
“We will send messengers with requests to your tribe daily, so be ready to fight tomorrow.”
“We will! Thank you again for hearing me out and understanding me. You will not regret this.”
Zain commands his army to leave the warrior tribe’s town as they go back home. Meanwhile, the negotiators continue to whisper to themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment