Monday, July 6, 2020

So I Thought


So I Thought
Ever since they were little, Leon and Noel have seen each other. Their families are friends with one another, but what they have can hardly be called a friendship. The two kids constantly tease and pull pranks on the other. When one wins, the score between them has to be settled somehow. Whether that’d be by putting the other one’s face in cake or spraying them with a hose.
“You know, you’re a big poopy face!” Noel would say.
“No, you are!” Leon would say back.
“No, you are!”
“No, you are!”
After a couple years of their competition, Leon decides not to play into Noel’s hand since that’s what she wants. Knowing that Leon isn’t going to fall for any of her traps, Noel smirks with the implication that she’s setting up something when she isn’t doing anything at all. The two play calmly together for the first time in a while, which surprises their parents.
Once it’s time for Leon to leave, Noel says, “I know it was killing you for me to do something, so that’s why I didn’t do anything. It was fun watching you be scared of what I might do.”
“You-!”
Instead of saying anything, Leon closes his mouth and tries to not let his frustration show on his face while Noel keeps prodding him with her devious smile. When they have to hug each other, Leon squeezes Noel to let out his anger and she does the same. From there on, Leon attempts to be as emotionless towards Noel as possible while cracking here and there. Noel keeps pushing and poking to get any kind of reaction out of him and the times that she does get a result, she considers it a victory. This is how things are between the two and their parents let their two-person war continue since they think it’s cute.
Years pass again and both go to the same school and learn in the same classroom. Despite making new friends, they always focus on each other as they always have by pulling pranks on one another and seeing who would crack under the pressure they gave each other. One girl gets jealous of all the attention Leon is giving Noel and decides to start bullying her by starting rumors and messing up her work.
When Leon sees this happening, she goes up to the girl and says, “Stop bullying, Noel!”
Leon sticking up for Noel gets the bully to run away. As Noel is fixing her things, Leon helps her.
“Are you okay, Noel? She didn’t hurt you, did she?”
“N-no, but you should’ve been there when she was bullying me the other times! Stupid, stupid-”
“I’m sorry. I’ll try to be there more often.”
Leon’s words silence Noel as she starts to recognize that Leon and she are more than just friends. She knows that they aren’t friends, but they aren’t enemies either. She’s never been able to pinpoint what to call their relationship and she doesn’t want to admit the obvious. The boys that have a crush on Noel are shocked by what they witness. They thought that Leon and Noel hate each other because of the way they acted. Now, they see that he’s competition, so they start to bully him.
Just like Leon, Noel catches them in the act and says, “Stop bullying Leon! Only I can do that!”
This attracts the attention of the teachers who take the boys aside to bring them to the principal’s office.
“Thank you, Noel,” Leon says.
“Don’t think that this means that I like you, stupid! Only I can bully you, stupid! No one else can! No one!” Noel asserts.
Leon continues what he’s doing as Noel expects a reaction. She then puts her fists to his face as if softly punching him.
“Do something, Leon! This is why you got bullied! You’re weak! You don’t defend yourself! Do something! Hit back!”
Leon calmly does his work while not paying attention to Noel. Noel only stops bothering Leon when she thinks that her being upset is what he wants her to do. Once she gets home, Noel wrestles with her feelings for Leon and decides to take action by writing an anonymous love letter to him. She walks over to his house and puts it in his mailbox. She doesn’t know what she wants from this. The only thing she knows is that it makes her feel better.
From there on out, Noel writes an anonymous love letter to Leon when she beings to feel loving towards him. She also gets anonymous love letters as well. Since she doesn’t know who they’re from, she feels nothing from reading the sweet messages she gets. Part of her wants to think that it’s Leon writing the letters, but her good and bad opinion of him prevents her from accepting this. While going over to Leon’s house, Noel makes sure that she isn’t caught putting the love letters in the mail, but what she doesn’t know is that Leon’s parents catch her doing this. They read the letters after Leon does and don’t tell them they’re from her. Instead, they secretly tell Noel’s parents about it and talk about how their children are falling in love with one another.
Leon’s parents then encourage him to write love letters to Noel when he opens up about having feelings for her.
“What about the girl who’s sending me these letters?” Leon asks his mom.
“Maybe the sweet girl is Noel. You won’t know unless you ask,” she says.
“This can’t be Noel. She’s the furthest thing from sweet.”
Even though Leon doesn’t believe that Noel is the one sending the letters, part of him wants to. He writes love letters to Noel but doesn’t sign his name and puts the letters in her mailbox like how she does. This back and forth continues for five years as they are against each other in public while loving each other in private.
They’re both ten years old now and they’ve written dozens and dozens of letters to one another while keeping their relationship relatively the same. Wanting to make the two kids advance their relationship, Noel’s parents secretly tell Leon’s parents that she’s coming over to deliver a letter and that they should make Leon go to the door.
Leon’s parents quickly do this and tell him, “The girl who’s been leaving you letters is coming!”
“What? Really?” he asks.
“Yes! You should go to the door and greet her with one of your letters.”
“Okay.”
Leon goes to the door not expecting anything special only to be surprised to catch Noel in the act of putting a love letter in the mail. Scared by this, she quickly takes out the letter and puts it behind her back along with the flower that she found along the way that she wanted to give him.
“Noel?”
“I’m…I’m here to steal your mail! Yeah! I bet you didn’t know that you won money and other prizes! Well, I’m not giving them to you! Hahaha!”
“You were the one leaving the love letters?”
“What-what love letters? I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
“I saw that you were going to put another letter in the mail with a flower?”
“Well-uh. This isn't a love letter and a flower. It's…um…”
“You can stop hiding it.”
“Okay, fine, but why haven’t you written me back? Do my letters mean nothing to you?! I work hard on every one of them!”
“I love them. I keep a collection in a safe place, so they don’t get ruined, and I have been writing back to you. It’s just that I don’t sign them. This is one of them.”
“I don’t believe you. I think you would right something nasty to me.”
“Here, I’ll read this letter to you then. It’s a song or poem I came up with.

Don't leave me now

I've been waiting for what's felt like an eternity
You've kept me in Purgatory
And I've been burning
To let you know that my love for you
Is pure and true
And to know if you feel the same too

You've got me waiting to hear you say
"I love you"
I've held onto hope, kept holding on
I lay down my heart and surrender it to you
You've got me on the edge of hope
To know if you love me too

I'll always remember our time together
I pray that it will last forever
And we would live together
Happily ever after
It's been love at first glance
So will you give me a chance?

You've got me waiting to hear you say
"I love you"
I've held onto hope, kept holding on
I lay down my heart and surrender it to you
You've got me on the edge of hope
To know if you love me too

You've got me waiting to hear you say
"I love you"
Please let this be the day

You've got me waiting to hear you say
"I love you"
I've held onto hope, kept holding on
I lay down my heart and surrender it to you
You've got me on the edge of hope
To know if you love me too

You've got me waiting to hear you say
"I love you"
I've held onto hope, kept holding on
I lay down my heart and surrender it to you
You've got me on the edge of hope
To know if you love me too

I need to know if this is the way you feel too
Because I love you”

Noel is taken aback by Leon’s poem. His words and the way he uses them are the same way he uses them in the letters he sent her.
“So…you were sending me letters…stupid! Why didn’t you make the first move?”
“What?”
“Guys are supposed to make the first move, not the lady!”
“I wouldn’t call you a lady.”
“Tch. The least you can do to make up for it is give me the first kiss like you’re supposed to.”
“Okay.”
Leon walks to Noel and as he gets closer, she closes her eyes and waits for his kiss. He gives her a quick kiss on the lips then moves back.
“Huh? What was that?” Noel asks.
“What?”
“The kiss was supposed to be longer and you were supposed to hold me while you kissed me.”
“Oh.”
“Seriously, you’re so stupid. What would you do without me?”
“Live in peace and quiet?”
Noel growls then starts softly hitting Leon’s face with her fists.
“Idiot, idiot! You’re so stupid!”
Leon grabs Noel’s hands.
“Hey! Let me hit you more-”
Leon kisses and holds Noel like she wants.
“Was that what I was supposed to do?”
“Y-yes.” Leon is about to let go of Noel, but she holds on. “…hug me a bit longer.”
“Okay.”
“…do you really love me?”
“Everything I’ve done hasn’t convinced you?”
“Smarty. I want to hear you say it.”
“Okay.”
“Then say it!”
“…I love you.”
“Okay.”
“You have to say it too.”
“…I love you too.”
Leon and Noel begin their relationship at this moment. A moment recorded and heavily photographed by Leon’s parents and Noel’s parents who were secretly watching them.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment