Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Happiness is Life: Chapter 3 – Happiness or Truth

Chapter 3 – Happiness or Truth
I don’t think I’ll ever get used to moving through these vents. The people that go back and forth through them must be incredibly brave especially with the surveillance slaves patrolling them. Maybe I’ll get eventually get used to avoiding them. I wonder if there’s even a way to free them. Gioioso and his friends are probably trying to find one if there exists a way to do so.
Speaking about them, where are they? I haven’t heard anything crawling around in the vents and I’m far in. In fact, I’m not that far from an exit. I’m not complaining that I’m not finding trouble. It’s just that…I think I spoke too soon. Wait a second. It’s doing something near a vent. I know that smell. Is that thing pumping happy gas into the vents? I wonder why. It’s not paying attention to me.
I see more of the surveillance slaves doing this to the other vents. What is going on? The only possible thing that they could be doing this for is because of the celebration. Maybe they want more people excited about it by forcing them to feel good. If they do that, then more people would like it and be more devoted to their false values. I have to hurry to the surface to see if this is happening to my family.
As I get up to the surface, I see that I’m in an alley with lights in it. It’s a good sign which means that the light bringers won’t be around here. I’ve got to move fast-! Huh? I got knocked out by something. Where am I? I’m locked to a wall. Who is that masked person in the dark?
“You are charged with; going into the darkness, emerging from it, being without your mask in public, not having a smile on your face, and having emotions that don’t correspond with being happy. For that, you will be made an example of during the celebration,” the person at the desk says before I’m knocked out by a gas.
When I open my eyes, I see that I’m in some kind of parade float. Oh no. I’m going to be one of the examples shown off today. The float opens and something pushes me from behind. It smells like there’s happy gas in the air. From what I’m seeing, it appears to be true because I’ve never seen people this happy and excited about the celebration.
“Before you all, is a disgruntled citizen who has broken many of our laws,” a voice says from the flying smiling face in the sky, “Allegro used to be a student with marvelous grades and no offenses. How the mighty have fallen. We would embarrass him for you just like any normal criminal, but because of his good behavior, we will offer him a second chance. Breath in the good air and dance with us, Allegro!”
The crowd is cheering for me to dance. Is that my parents in the crowd? Are those my friends? I wish this embarrassment would end. Dancing could help-no! I’m not going to do what they want.
“Dance for us!” they say again.
“No, I won’t be made a fool!” I say.
“Dance,” I hear a deep and dark voice say. The music stops along with the parade as the celebration quiets down. “Dance or else.”
“No, I won’t.”
“…so be it. Clear the way.”
A bunch of broken glass comes out from the bottom of the float and part of the float forces me onto it.
“Let’s watch justice take place as this poor sinner does penance for his sins with his blood by walking across this broken glass! Of course, he could always laugh and dance on the float if he truly wants to repent,” a cheery voice says.
I’ve got to be careful especially since they took away my shoes. Above all, I have to trust the Lord. As I walk across the glass, I notice that it doesn’t cut me. Even the sharper shards do nothing to my feet. Once I reach the end, I can hear the crowd’s amazement at how I could do this without getting hurt.
“That-that was just a fluke! He got lucky. How about this!”
Smoke grenades are thrown at me. They have happy gas in them! This amount could kill me! I must really be getting on their nerves for them to resort to this. Please, Lord, guide me through this. Huh? Wait. Is this gas defective or something? It smells like happy gas, but I’m barely feeling anything. Oh, it is working, but not on me. The people around me keep laughing and laughing until they fall down and die from it. More people begin talking as they start to move away from the parade.
“We’re sorry for the casualties in our pursuit to put this devil to justice. Do not fear because the sacrifice of the faithful has not been lost on the God of Light. Look to the skies! Here he comes!”
The skies open and a large man about the size of a building descends from it. He has a smile on his face, a smile for a halo, smiling faces on his wings, and a cloak of smiles. I remember that the so-called god of light usually comes down every five years or during special events to show off and make people believe in him.
“Son, why are you rebelling against happiness? Against all that is good? Do you not see that what you’re against are truth and beauty?” the god says.
“I see clearly now. I see that you’re a false god and the tricks you do are nothing but bread and circuses to make us believe your lies!”
“Blasphemer! You shall burn for your transgressions!”
Woah! The smiling face behind me spews fire on me. Huh? It just feels hot but I’m not burning. What is going on? The god of light is the one who is burning instead. He burns to ashes as the flames continue to fall on me. Once he’s gone, the flames stop trying to burn me and everyone around me is shocked by what happened.
“Demon!” they yell out.
“Devil!”
“God is dead!”
The crowd disperses including the police and people in the parade. I guess faith killed the false god. Since I don’t know where to go, I go back to Gioioso who saw what happened on TV along with everyone else in the underground city. We celebrate today, but this isn’t over. The authorities will probably construct another god to fight against us. They won’t go down until the bitter end, which won’t be a problem for us.
Thank you, Lord, for using me as Your instrument of change. Because of You, dozens of people are coming to You after You destroyed their false faith. Please, continue to use me as You see fit because serving You is my life’s purpose. In You, I have found true happiness.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment