Saturday, September 7, 2019

The Problem with Bonds: Chapter 4 – Letting Go

Chapter 4 – Letting Go
The guy’s house should be around here. There are a lot more people around here than I remember.
I’m surprised you noticed them. Remember that when we ran away, you ran through these people because you were so scared of him while I wanted to stay and fight.
You could’ve done it, brave boy. You have a stronger will than I do.
I didn’t that time.
Whatever. Let’s just do this and leave. This is his house.
It looks cleaner than it used to. My body should be around here somewhere. Wait, do you hear something scraping across the floors? It sounds like it’s something made of metal. Is that a large face coming down the stairs? Does it have smaller faces on its face?
“You seem to be looking for something. Let me help you out.”
Woah! Watch it! Where are all of these metal claws coming from? We have to get out of here. We’ll find your body later. What? The other people are under his control. No wait, they’re androids. Woah! How large is he? His head with his large snaky neck and arms come out of his house as if the house is his body. We have to run away!
Watch out for all the limbs and people! Hold on. They’re getting tangled up in each other. Maybe we can tangle this guy together. Run around the houses and alleys! Yes! He’s getting tangled up in his own arms and limbs.
“Where are you going? Hold on. I’m getting a little tangled up in my arms.”
Good. There’s his head. He can’t get out now.
“I’m sorry I got so tangled in myself. I just wanted to pet you.
“I don’t believe you.”
“I don’t blame you. I do look pretty scary and my voice box is still distorted. I’m actually a kid who was kicked out of the city just recently. My parents did a lot to make me smarter than I already was. I was apparently too smart for them even though they wouldn’t admit it. I tried to convert them and the city from their ways, but they only wanted their government, businesses, and ever-expanding skyscrapers.”
What’s it with these kids being sent down here?
“What did you try converting them with?”
“I tried converting them first with reason. Then with lessons from history. The last attempt was done with the Church. Not with the ones that catered to their beliefs, but the one that still performed miracles. Part of that Church still exists in the city, however, most of them get kicked out and live in this neighborhood. It’s honestly better here than in the city. People from the Church and its community come to visit me, play with me, and give me gifts.”
“What are the faces on your head and the androids for?”
“I get lonely easily, so I’ve made them to keep me company. Back in the city, I wasn’t allowed to have friends and my family only cared for me when I did something they liked. Some of them look like my family because I miss them so much despite what they did to me. I pray that they see me and change their ways. I hope that everyone in the city changes. It’s so easy to fall to their corruption especially since they promise an easy and comfortable life.”
“I see. Well, we’ll be off then. I’ll find you more friends back at my home so you’ll be even less lonely.”
“Oh really?!”
“Y-yeah.”
“Thank you so much! You’re such a nice kitty. Can I pet you at least once?”
“I…uh. Sure.”
Ehhhh. Oh. He doesn’t pet me quite as bad as I thought he would.
“Thank you for that. Might I ask you why you have a hamster attached to your body? My readings indicate that he’s barely alive.”
“…”
“Would you like me to remove him from you?”
“Not right now. There’s something I need to do first. I’ll come back soon.”
“I hope you do come back soon. You look really upset.”
“I’m fine.”
This isn’t even the place where I was supposed to go. I didn’t want to be there even after pushing myself to go, but I know I must. It’s just across the street. Okay, this is it. My old house that we both once lived in. Do you remember, Hamlet? You were always the hopeful one that didn’t let life put you down. You always wanted to help other people while I just wanted to keep to myself. I was always jealous of you for your good nature while you had to push me to be good. I was annoyed by it but also thankful.
You got on my nerves with your cheery behavior so many times that it just got to me one day that I lost myself. I destroyed you. Once my anger subsided, I tried to attach you to me to save your life. I don’t know if you’re still hanging in there. I don’t even know if you were talking to me at all because I can talk through you. If you can hear me at all, I’m sorry. I’m sorry for being such a miserable friend. I’m sorry for doing this to you. I’m sorry for everything.
It’s okay, Catullus. I forgive you.
Am I just hearing things or I talking through you again? Huh? His arm is moving on its own…Hamlet?
I’ve been watching you help so many people. You’ve even been imitating me almost perfectly to the point where when I talked, you probably didn’t notice that it wasn’t you doing it.
I’m such a terrible friend for what I’ve done. I’m going to get that kid to separate us now.
You’re not a bad friend. You want to make up for what you’ve done and have done so, in my opinion. You’re a better cat now. Live a happy life.
No, no, no! Hold on, Hamlet. I have your body and I’m taking it to the kid. Maybe he can fix you. Wait a little longer!
When I get back to the kid, he does his best to fix Hamlet…
“I’m sorry, kitty, but your friend is gone. I did my best to fix him. His body was just beyond damaged to repair. At least the two of you are separated now. I’ll bury his body here if you don’t mind. It would’ve been weird if you carried his body with you wherever you went.”
“Yeah…right. Well, I’ll be going to get you help so you can get untangled faster.”
“Please do. I’d love to make more friends.”
Along the way back home, I see another flying disposal machine drop off its “trash”. In the noise, I hear the crying of a baby. Babies and children tend to be thrown away the most if their parents in the city feel as if they’ll be a financial burden. This “trashy” neighborhood truly is a better place despite its lawless nature. I go to find the child who is damaged and wrapped in a blanket. It looks as if his parents tossed him out without regard. The blanket is loose and flies away as a result. I quickly catch it and put it back on the child.
“There we go, buddy. You can stop crying now. I’ll bring you to your new family who will care for you.”
He’s stopped crying and starts petting me.
“Kitty…”
“Come on, kid. Hop on and I’ll take you to safety.”
The child gets on my back and I take him to the hotel. I’ll live a happy life while making people happy like you wanted, Hamlet. I promise you that.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment