Saturday, September 28, 2019

Dreams that Don't Die: Chapter 4 – A Monster of my Own Making

Chapter 4 – A Monster of my Own Making
Huh? I’m alive. I’m at the bottom of some kind of prison. Am I underneath the castle again? The jail cells around me contain all the characters I’ve created and the different versions of them. They appear to be mad as they scream while some try to break up the bars that hold them.
Seeing me, one of them says, “Why did you abandon us?!”
The rest of them quiet down before focusing their eyes on me.
“You left us to die!”
“To starve!”
“To rot forever!”
“Shamed and defaced!”
“Scathed and disgraced!”
“Tainted by indifference and undying!”
“What did we do to you?”
“Are we nothing to you?!”
“Do we even have value?!”
“Free us!”
“Give us a purpose!”
“End our suffering already!”
I should do something for them, but will it even be worth it?
The creature of imagination crawls his way to me with one injured leg with its appearance still slowly decaying. It tells me, “You know what you should do, but you’re refusing to do it. What are you afraid of? Do you really only care about the money you make and the things you can accomplish? Do you lack integrity or a spine? Let me answer that question by digging inside your body myself.”
The creature of imagination enters my mind by dissipating into it. Characters start leaking out of my body along with the people I’ve known and different versions of myself. It’s excruciatingly painful as any slight movement causes me more pain. Who am I again? What do I believe in? What do I want in life? What do I believe is the right thing to do?
Oh yeah, that’s right. Just like the hero, I believe in doing the right thing no matter the cost. It doesn’t matter how many people I help or the reward that I get. What matters is that someone is helped. That I use my God-given abilities to the fullest. I know what I’m going to do now. Every part of me that’s fallen out forms a blackened version of me with a spiral mouth.
It threatens to consume me, but the hero comes out to face him. The other me catches the hero’s head and tries infecting his heart with its essence. Come on. Don’t give up. Never give up no matter how hard it gets. We will make a difference in the end. We will do what’s right.
The essence of the hero fights the infection and infects the other me until the two are one. The page turns and the story is over. I’m back in my room looking at the pictures I’ve drawn. I hear the door open and go to see my dad who’s smiling the bright smile he always smiles.
“Hello! It’s great to see you-”
I run to my dad and hug him.
“I miss you so much.”
“I miss you too. Do you like the way I decorated your room? I know you tell me to grow up all the time, but I tried to fix it to your liking.”
“I love it. Hey, dad?”
“Hmm? What is it?”
“Can you teach me how to play the piano again? I want to play with you like how we used to. I’m also going to start writing books again. I’m not going to let these talents I’ve been given go to waste anymore.”
“I’m glad to hear that, but what about working?”
“I’ll work whatever small job I need to so we can get by and have a little on the side just like how you used to.”
“Are you sure? That expensive college degree was a waste of time then.”
“Yeah, it was, but it helped me learn that money isn’t something I should worry about.”
My older brother then enters the house.
“Oh yeah. Your brother is staying with us for a while for a father-son special. Since you’re joining us, it’ll be extra special.”
“You’re joining us?” my brother asks.
“Yeah. I’m not letting my talents go to waste. I’m going to do what God put me here to do and I'm not going to run away from it.”
“Oh.”
“What? You’re not going to ask me what changed my mind?”
“No.” My brother hugs me. “I’m just happy that we’re together again as a family.”
After some intense training with my brother and dad, I become good enough to play their songs with them. We play at dozens of locations and make the people there happy with our music. With my books, I’m able to show the local town my stories. They’re impressed by them and rave to me about how unique, relatable, and intriguing they are. One of the people that like it is a crush I had in school who I’m talking to now. We might be in a relationship soon.
This is what my life has been missing. Despite the little we have, I feel like I have the world in my hands. Nothing bothers me anymore. Nothing concerns me nor make me afraid. I’ve finally found my place in life. This is where I’m meant to be. My heaven on earth where I use my God-given talents to make people happy and entertain them. It will have its difficulties, but I won’t trade it for anything in the world.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment