Thursday, September 19, 2019

An Absurd Date in An Abnormal House: Chapter 2 – Die with Me if You Love Me

Chapter 2 – Die with Me if You Love Me
Their recent experience with a past memory has dropped them into the living room of the house. With seemingly everything working against him, Peter goes through different plans in his head. Rebecca patiently waits for her next tool to attempt to kill him with while keeping them in place. She then uses the string connecting them to pull him closer and hold him. Because she isn’t doing bad, Peter reluctantly holds her as he just assumes that she isn’t planning anything, an assumption based solely on his feelings.
“Did you know about this, Rebecca?” Peter whispers in Rebecca’s ear, “Did you know that if we died together then we would be reliving our memories together forever?”
“I knew about it, but I didn’t know that the house was alive.”
“Why do you want to do this?”
“Because I love you and I hate you. I want to spend the rest of eternity with you and I want to kill you for taking up so much of my mind that I can’t think of anything else.”
“I can hear you two you know?” the voice in the house says, “Fulfill your dream. You can do it without my help.”
“Okay.”
“Rebecca…urck!”
Rebecca initiates a memory where she and Peter where hugging each other at the front door of Peter’s mom’s house, except this time, she’s imagined that she’s stabbing Peter in the chest with a knife. There isn’t any blood, or a stab wound as Rebecca imagines the knife stuck in his chest. Peter tries to imagine the knife out of the existence of the memory, but it’s in conflict with Rebecca’s will to kill him.
“Please, this is for the best. Don’t make it any harder than it has to be,” Rebecca says.
“No…it doesn’t have to be this way,” Peter says while in excruciating pain.
Using her own force against her, Peter uses Rebecca’s want for the knife to be in Peter’s chest to make it go in him then he spits it out of his mouth.
“Why don’t you want to die for me? Don’t you want to be happy with me?”
“Not like this.”
Peter tries to imagine restraints on Rebecca, but she counters it by imagining them together. She then imagines them in one of the fighting video games they used to play together. Rebecca is her favorite character while Peter is his.
“I like it, Rebecca,” the voice in the house says, “I’ll make it so that if your health bar runs out then you die. It’s a win-win scenario.”
The game begins the fight to the death. Peter tries to imagine something different, but Rebecca’s constant attacks keep breaking his concentration. He fights against her while also fighting against her imagination and manages to get the upper hand. They’re almost out of the game and somewhere different until Rebecca uses a special move that takes out a good chunk of Peter’s health. Both he and Rebecca are close to death, so plays both offensively and defensively, making sure to take only small bits of her health while taking as few hits as possible until he successfully manages to break them out of the game and back into the house. He imagines that they’re kids playing video games at night.
“Peter, Rebecca! We’re going out now! Don’t stay up too late!” Peter’s mom says.
“We won’t,” they both say.
Rebecca’s and Peter’s parents leave the house and they continue playing for a bit.
“Do you want to get something to eat and drink?” Peter asks.
“Are we allowed to bring food into your room?” Rebecca asks.
“Mom never told me not to so we can.”
“Let’s go then!”
When they head downstairs, they hear creaking and noises that aren’t made by them.
“Is that you Peter?”
“No.”
Rebecca clings to Peter.
“Who is it then?”
“It’s probably just the house.”
“I hope you’re right.”
“Kill him, Rebecca,” a voice in the house says.
“I know I heard something!”
“It’s nothing.”
Peter struggles to keep the memory going as Rebecca and whatever is in control of the house fight him. The two then find something in the kitchen. They then hear something going on outside. Going out to investigate, they find that the neighbors are having a party. The entire backyard is lit up with a variety of lights with music playing to add to the mood.
“Wow, they have stars! I have to ask them where they got them!” Rebecca says.
“We can ask them later. It looks like they’re having their own party,” Peter says as he tries to go back inside.
Rebecca runs outside and dances underneath the light to the music. Seeing all the fun she’s having with it, Peter runs out, dances, and sings with her.

Wonderful beauty
Living star, shining sun
Let me dance with you in the sky
Let me keep you happy

Keep smiling
Keep shining on
Let your grace be known to the universe
Don’t grow cold and go dark

You are the light of my life
My guidance when the sky is dark
The one my life is tied to
The one I will love forever


Illustrious light
Living star, shining sun
Will you always rise in the morning?
Will you always be there when the night comes?

Never stop shining when you’re surrounded by darkness
Stay strong even when you start feeling weak
Lean on me when you need help
Let our lights cast out our enemies

They cannot break us apart
They cannot defeat us when we’re together

Living Star, Shining Sun
You are the light of my life
My guidance when the sky is dark
The one my life is tied to
The one I will love forever

Living Star, Shining Sun
May you shine on eternally
Let your love be known to all

Let us give warmth to those we love
Let us be the light of hope for others
Let us dance in the sky and love each other from now until forever

After they tire of dancing, Rebecca notes that, “We didn’t dance to this song then. We danced to it not too long ago.”
The scene changes to what Rebecca remembers. The two were teenagers when they drove out to a clearing in the forest where no one would bother them.
“Yeah, but it was also at that time as well. That’s why I chose that song to dance to.”
“Oh…”
“Rebecca. You don’t need to listen to the voice in the house. We can get out of this.”
“How come you never asked me to be your girlfriend?”
“I always saw you like family. It would feel weird to me if we got married.”
“But you always talked to me about being together forever. I thought you loved me.”
“I do! But…”
“But what? This is why I hate you and love you. You never did take it another step. We were just family who saw each other every now and then and it was killing me. We wouldn’t see each other for months and when we did, it was the best, but then we had to be separated again. I wish our parents would’ve just sent us to the same school and lived in the same area. They just had to put a lot of distance between us.”
“Hey, I feel the same way.”
“Then let’s die together.”
“No, not like this.”
“I only have eyes for you, Peter. Even though my parents kept me away from other boys, they didn’t need to worry.”
“My parents did the same for me, but with girls. I was never interested in any of the girls at school or in the neighborhood, so they had nothing to worry about.”
“So if we feel the same way, then what’s stopping you?”
“It’s like I said, we were basically family. Plus, our relationship felt forced.”
“She’s trying so hard to convince you to be her husband and you’re giving her the runaround. Let me help make this easier on you two,” the voice in the house says.
Back in the house, the two find themselves in a hallway. The hallways enclose them with spikes on the walls.
“Now, there is no possible escape. Simply push him into the spikes or just push yourself in. Your death will be quick like receiving a needle from the doctors,” the voice instructs.
Peter tries to feel the walls for a possible exit while Rebecca’s thoughts about the past have her thinking about what she should be doing. She then tries pushing Peter into the spikes, but he grabs onto the table next to him to catch himself.
“Rebecca!”
“Just die already!”
A painting next to her gives her the knife it was holding. She takes it and pulls him toward her with the string between them and tries to stab him. He blocks her with one hand, but his other hand is restrained by a shadow in a painting behind him that’s come down from the wall. The other paintings and pictures on the wall watch the struggle and cheer for Rebecca.
“You can do it!” they say.
“Finish him.”
“You can be with him forever now!”
“You’ll never know pain or suffering!”
“You can be free from the world!”
“You’ll never have to worry anymore.”
“Just imagine how happy you’ll be.”
Peter tries to make Rebecca remember their time together to stop her. Though they may be few, he knows that she values them the most. Memories of laughter, dancing, friendship, and play. They may have fought a couple of times, but no friendship is free from that. These memories that flood into her mind get her to drop her knife and throw herself into the spikes, but Peter stops her by pulling on the string between them.
“Why? Why are you still trying to save my life?” she asks.
“Because I can’t do this without you.”
“Right, because if I die, you have to die with me.”
“That’s not all it is.”
“Shut up!”
As Rebecca tries to kill herself, Peter continues searching for an exit. He finds a lightly colored pink wall that’s almost invisible on the white wall. Seeing as this may be something, he slams his shoulder against it a few times until the light pink part of the wall breaks down. He then pulls himself and Rebecca into the room as the spiked walls close in on them. Now in between the cracks of the house, Peter catches his breath.
“There’s no escaping this house,” Rebecca says.
“I’ll find one or make one myself,” Peter says with as much confidence as he can muster.
“What are you talking about? Do you see how this house is? There’s no hope of leaving.”
“There’s always hope. I found this way, didn’t I? There has to be other holes in the house we can use to escape.”
“I doubt it.”
“What about that fleshy thing that you stabbed in the bedroom? It relinquished some of the house’s control. Since we’re in the cracks of the house, we can maybe find something here that can do the same.”
“I don’t know. Maybe I should’ve killed you when I had the chance.”
“No, don’t listen to anything the house tells you or makes you feel. It’s working against both of us. Come on, let’s see what we can find here.”
Rebecca reluctantly follows Peter’s lead.
“Where did you hear about that idea from first anyway? Did the voice in the house tell you before I arrived at your house?”
“No, my parents told me before going out to it and not long before you arrived.”
“Really, your parents told you? They must have something to do with it then. Wait, if they told you not long before I arrived, then they knew I was coming somehow. I wonder if my mom has something to do with it now. I wonder if dad knew as well.”
“It sure sounds like it. Everything in my life sounds like a setup for this moment.”
“You’re right. Hopefully, we’ll find some answers soon.”
After going deeper into the house, they find what look to be human bodies embedded in the house with what look to be veins that go all through the house like electrical wiring.
“These must be what’s controlling the house,” Peter says.
The bodies appear to be moving ever so slightly before one forms a face and says, “There you are!”
The small space to close on the two. Peter starts pulling at the wires and ripping them out until the small space expands back to normal. Seeing this result, Peter keeps ripping at the wires.
“We have to rip all of these out!”
“…”
“Come on, Rebecca! These wires give the house its power. If we can rip all of them out, we might have a chance of escaping.”
“…”
Peter holds Rebecca’s hand while getting her to look him in the eyes.
“Please, trusts me.”
“…okay.”
Rebecca and Peter keep tearing the wires out while the house screams and shakes as if it’s in pain. Once all the wires are out, the house calms down. The two carefully walk out of the space in the walls to see that the house nearly appears normal now except for the windows and exits that lead to solid walls.
“Peter…”
“Rebecca…”
“Why?”
The two begin hearing voices in the house calling to them from the basement.
“Don’t you want to be happy?”
“Don’t you want to eternally be with each other?”
“Don’t you want to fulfill your parents’ wishes?”
“Don’t you love one another?”
Peter goes near the basement and says to the voices, “Who are you?”
“Come down here and find out. We won’t harm you. We can’t do anything other than keep you here because of what you’ve done. We wouldn’t think of even hurting you.”
“What do you think, Rebecca?”
“We may as well since we don’t have any other choice.”
“You’re right. Let’s go find out who’s behind this.”
Peter holds out his hand for Rebecca and she takes it as they descend the stairs into the basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment