Thursday, September 26, 2019

Dreams that Don't Die: Chapter 2 – Neglectful Creator

Chapter 2 – Neglectful Creator
The page turns on me and we’re in the castle of the queen of hearts. Hearts decorate the walls that appear to be beating. Going deeper into the castle, I find the Queen of Hearts. She has hearts for eyes and a mouth with a crown of hearts on her head. The design itself sounds more morbid when I think it over. I hear talking further down the halls and I go to see the hero with the queen.
“Thank you again for your service,” the queen says.
“It’s my pleasure! Just call me again if you ever need help.”
“I will. Oh, and no stealing from my royal kitchen.”
“Aw, you know how much I love the food here.”
“I guess I do owe you more than my thanks for your work. You can eat as much as you like.”
“Thank you so much, your majesty!”
He then heads off in one direction while the queen heads in another. I’m glad the hero finally has something to eat. All he really needs is a real name to be complete. Did he get something to eat because I wanted him to?
“Your mind and heart affect what happens in the stories,” the creature of imagination says.
“Can I use it to get out of here?”
“Not quite. Let’s see what happened to this queen, shall we?”
While following the queen, she comes across a small cute girl in a small dress with her hair in pigtails.
“Oh, queen, is it true that you can make my heart into something greater than what it already is?”
“Of course I can because anything can be done with the power of love. Let me show you.”
I follow the two until they reach a room that closes behind them. Knowing how the hero turned out, I get close to the door, but not too close until I hear muffled screaming. Carefully opening the door, I see that the queen has taken out the heart of the little girl and replaces it with a mechanical one. Further into the room, I see other little girls who have been put to work fixing the castle, making clothes, cooking food, and creating other mechanical hearts. The new girl is forcibly put in line by the others as the queen adds her heart to her collection. A creak in the door gives away my location as the queen’s head snaps to it. I quickly close it and try to run away as fast as I can.
Everything has gotten so dark already in both event and scenery as the castle is now dark with only dim candle hearts to light the way.
“Is my journey here going to be nothing but this?”
“That all depends on you.”
In the darkness, I see the queen with her arms wide open. Before I can react, she teleports to me and holds me.
“Shhh,” she says, “It’s going to be okay. You’re going to be treated well. I’ll give you a good job in my castle that will be more than worth working. All you have to do is give me your heart.”
“I won’t!”
I punch her heart in her mouth and she screams and flies away into the darkness.
“You’ll pay for that…or…maybe you won’t have to…”
I hear the screaming of another little girl in the distance. Since the queen went straight down the hallway, I take a different path and end up in a throne room with the heartless body of a little girl on the floor. It’s weird seeing a simply drawn character and feeling bad for her. I guess it’s because she’s so cute and her condition makes me want to help her.
“Hold on,” I tell her.
“H-hurry, before they take me,” she says with tears in her eyes.
“I will. Just hold tight.”
Where could she be? There doesn’t seem to be any way through this next hallway except straight, so I keep going until I reach a door with black ink underneath it. Since this is what my drawings seem to bleed, I go through the door and enter into a dining hall. There I find the hero eating normal food, thankfully. He doesn’t notice me, so I sneak past him and go through the only other door in the room. It’s a dressing room with various life-like mannequins that are wearing different kinds of heart-themed dresses. These dresses are all ideas that I had for the queen. Oh, I see her now.
She’s admiring her collection of hearts that are in a jewelry case. I can’t get one of those, but she does have a crown of hearts on one of the mannequins. When I pick it up, I find that it feels fleshy like a real heart. How am I going to take a single heart out? Well, here goes nothing. Ah! I heard a female scream in the room. I look over to see that a mannequin lost her head. Oh, I get why it happened. The room made me remember a scene from a psychological horror game I liked. Stupid references.
The queen hasn’t noticed it as if it were a normal occurrence so I’m good. I pluck out a heart from the crown, close the gap in the crown, then put the crown back where I found it. Now the queen is looking at her dresses and crowns. She’s going to notice if she’s taking note of the number of hearts on the crown. I quickly leave while she’s still distracted. The hero is gone now from the dining hall. Where did he go? I hope he just left. When I exit the dining hall, I hear the queen screaming. She knows! I sprint towards the throne room to find the little girl still lying on the ground.
“Come on, come on, don’t change on me,” I say while placing the heart in her chest.
She isn’t moving yet, and I can hear someone coming down the hallway, so I take the little girl and carry her to the exit. Along the way, little girls with mechanical hearts chase after us, forcing us to go down certain pathways to avoid them. We then reach the exit, but unfortunately, the door leads to another hallway. What kind of place is this? Ah!! The floor fell out from under me. I can’t see anything below, and I can barely hold onto the little girl’s hand while holding onto the floor. When I look up, I see the queen standing over me with her hand out.
She says, “Give me her, and I’ll let you live.”
Weighing my options and having an idea on how this place operates, I say, “Not a chance.”
I then let go and fall with the little girl into the abyss of darkness. As we fall, I hold onto her. While falling, I see jail cells and chambers filled with heroes, little girls, and queens of old. Come on, something has to break my fall. Imagine something already mind! Ah! The creature of imagination has caught me.
“Thanks for the save!”
“You’re welcome, but we’re not out of this yet.”
“How are we going to get out of here?”
“It’s all up to you.”
A hole opens in the walls big enough for us to go through.
“Now, you’re opening up.”
We fly through the hole then come out on the other side. We then fall into a nearby park as I realize that the creature of imagination is too small to carry me. The three of us land in a bush that managed to break our fall. None of us are harmed, but the little girl is still out cold, wait, she’s alive!
“Huh? I got my heart back?”
“It may not be your heart, but I got one back to you.”
“Thank you so much! Are you going to take care of me now?”
“I guess I have to.”
“Do you have a home to take me to?”
“Uh. It’s outside of this place.”
“Can you feed me? Buy me clothes?”
“Uh, kind of.”
“…I don’t believe you.”
“Wait, where are you going?”
“Since you can’t take care of me, I shouldn’t be with you. We’d just hold each other down.”
“No, that’s not true!”
She walks away and disappears as if someone erases her.
“What happened?”
“She left you.”
“Why though? I could’ve helped her.”
“Well, a person who can’t take care of themselves can’t take of others as well, right?”
“Oh. I understand where this came from.”
Going forward, I see a mother take a book away from a little girl, who looks like the rest, and throw it in the trash. Getting the book, I find a book with drawings that looks like mine. How do imagination and entertainment allow you to care for yourself and others if it doesn’t allow you to make a living? My mom and dad answered that question in two different ways. One was concerned more about money while the other was concerned more about faith and family.
“What are you doing with that trash?”
“It’s not trash. It’s valuable.”
“How can it be valuable if it doesn’t sell?”
“There’s more to this than monetary value.”
The book vanishes into my hand then goes into my head.
“What are you going to do with it?”
Voices from the past start to fill my head.
“You can’t make anything from it.”
“What if you give people the wrong ideas?”
“You’ll be shunned.”
“You’ll lose opportunities.”
“You’ll be an outcast.”
“Your ideas make you look evil.”
“Who are you to tell people what to do?”
“What if…”
The book then flies out of my head as my fears push it out.
“Can’t handle the pressure?”
What kind of person can’t handle themselves? I chase after the book as it flies away with the creature of imagination comes with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment