Sunday, September 15, 2019

Purified Through Suffering: Chapter 6 – Sins Make Monsters

Chapter 6 – Sins Make Monsters
After a long nap, Vera wakes up in a gory mess she made. She stumbles to her feet as she remembers what she did then throws up. Regret and sadness fill her mind as she hates the person that she is. Once she feels the strong feelings of sadness numb themselves, she moves on. While moving forward, she comes across groups of people who live in scrap houses. They appear to be competing with one another until Vera arrives. When they see her, they hide in their homes. As she passes by them, they whisper about her abilities and how they wished they could have them.
One of them tries to sneak up behind Vera to kill her out of jealousy, but when she looks at the woman, she cowers in fear and runs back to her home. Vera manages to make it out of the small settlement with no problems except for the ones she still carries. She then comes across a large hole in the sewer walls that appears to be where Susurro would’ve been. Peering into it, a skeleton hand with flesh on it reaches out then the person lifts herself out of it.
“You’re still alive,” Vera says with some surprise.
“Haha, of course I am,” Belladonna says.
Belladonna is still missing most of her limbs with her body still all broken up, however, she’s managed to recover some of her right arm. Vera transforms her hand and is ready to cut off Belladonna’s head, but she doesn’t.
“What? Do you actually feel bad for me?”
“No. I’m just sick of killing.”
“Ha, well I have to thank you for killing Susurro. His body was blocking the sewage drain I was in. He didn’t even body to move even as I was drowning. If you hadn’t killed him, I would’ve died.”
“You’re welcome.”
“Wait, before you go, Susurro had some more information on you. The sewage drain you dropped me in led me to one of his secret rooms that kept his information. He knew more than he told me. Do you care to hear what he knew?”
Vera sits down next to Belladonna as she’s both curious and tired.
“He knew your darkest secret, the reason why you were kidnapped, tortured, then thrown down here. It’s something that even I didn’t do.”
“Just say it.”
With her hands already on her face, Vera braces for what she knows is coming.
“Because you were such a horny slut, you had sex with your three children. The neighbors and city watch caught part of what was happening and when questioned about who started it, you said that your children forced you to have sex with them. Since it’s an illegal act punishable by death, all three of your children were executed while you were just sent to jail for a few months. When that vigilante group figured out what really happened, they paid your debt just so they could punish you in their own way.”
All her repressed guilt starts coming back to Vera all at once as she begins to cry. She covers her face in shame and curls up in a ball.
“I’ve seen some messed up sinners in my time, but you’re something else. The only thing I did was I was the mistress of the rich in the city. A lot of the rich children being brought up now are mine. I brutally disciplined the men and women under me while doing what I had to, to keep business running in our favor. When I got figured out by the city government and the Church, everything crumbled around me and most of everyone I knew got sent down here. I lived in a system of backbiters and liars. You didn’t. You didn’t need to do anything you did, but you did it anyway because you weren’t satisfied enough with your life.”
Vera wipes away her tears and stands up.
“And you still think you can find redemption for yourself. I read in the report that some of the people in that vigilante group felt remorseful because they sometimes saw you praying at night, which is funny because I didn’t hear that you were a part of any religion. Maybe your prayers of guilt and sorrow actually reached out to God and that’s the reason why you haven’t died yet.”
“The opportunity is there to pay for my evils and I’m going to take it. I don’t care what you think.”
“Even I am not as prideful as you when it comes to redemption. I’m scum and that’s all I’ll ever be. Since you’re worse than me, what does that make you? You can just leave me here for all I care, and I’ll be up and back at it in by the time you’re long gone.”
Feeling a weird sense of pity for Belladonna, Vera picks her up and carries her.
“What? Are you going to throw me into another sewage drain? Maybe throw me into a pile of trash or give me to a pack of horny men?”
“No, I’m taking you down to the next layer.”
“You’re what? I’ve told you that I’ve already been down there, and I don’t want what they’re selling. You can’t force me to make a decision.”
“I can try.”
“What? Do you pity me? No one pities me!”
“I do now.”
“I’ll scratch your frigging eyes out! No one pities me!”
Belladonna scratches at Vera’s face and Vera cuts off Belladonna’s arm in response then continues carrying her.
“You bitch! Put me down! It must be a pain carrying me with all the barbed wire on me. It’d be better if you just leave me be.”
“…”
“Are you listening to me?!”
As she travels further down, Vera comes across another settlement with people in it who are jealous of her. Since they feel comfortable in their numbers, they begin beating on her as she passes by.
“Haha! Yes! Beat her up-hey-ow! Don’t kick me! Ow! I’ll get you for this!”
Belladonna tries to bite at her attackers while Vera keeps pushing forward until she leaves the settlement.
“What’s with you? Why didn’t you try to defend yourself? You could’ve easily killed them all.”
“I deserved that. I don’t feel like killing anymore.”
“Defending yourself isn’t anything to be ashamed of, but what do I know? Are you serious about taking me down there?”
“Yes.”
“I don’t understand you.”
“You’re like me and I’m like you. I understand that now. If I can be redeemed, so can you.”
“No, I can’t! Let me go! Don’t you dare take me down there! I’ll kill you!”
“Shut up already.”
Vera heads deeper into the sewer while dragging Belladonna along with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment