Thursday, September 5, 2019

The Problem with Bonds: Chapter 2 – Circus of an Outcast

Chapter 2 – Circus of an Outcast
This place was only just being set up the last time we saw it. “The Island of Misfits” by Billy Bozo. “All are welcome who want to smile and feel happy”. Huh. That’s weird.
That isn’t weird Catullus. I think it’s a great thing that this Billy guy has made this circus to make people smile and feel happy.
No one makes entertainment just to make people feel good. We probably have to pay to get in.
Why would you need to pay? There are no laws down here that say you need to pay for things. Look! They make their own food here and purify the water from the ocean to make their drinks so it’s not like they need to make money to trade.
I guess not. They could just trade what they have to get whatever they need.
Oooh. I wish we had fingers to play these carnival games.
I’ve read that carnivals had rigged games so you could spend more money to win some cheap prize.
But you don’t need money to play.
Do we really have to play one of these stupid games? We came here to ask for directions.
Oh, that’s right.
Maybe this guy will know something.
“Excuse me?”
“Why hello there little kitty and hamster! Do you wish to play my little game of fishing?”
“No, thank you. We just want directions to a certain street. It’s important.”
“If you win this game, then I’ll tell you what I know. It’s free to play and you get as many attempts as you want.”
Really?
“It’s simple enough, so we’ll play. What are the rules?”
“All you need to do is pick a fish with the right color and number equal to or higher than the number I pick. Anything else is a loss.”
“We’ll play then. My friend is good at catching fish.”
“I bet he is. I want a red fish with the number five on it.”
Just because I’m a cat doesn’t mean I’m good at catching fish.
Come on, Catullus. I know you can do it. You do have better reflexes than me.
Alright, fine. Red fish. Number five…ha! I think I got it.
“Congratulations! For your reward, I’ll give you the information you seek.”
“We need directions to fifth and Stein.”
“Hmm. I’m afraid I don’t know how to get you there with instructions alone. I do know one person who could give you the exact instructions to get there though.”
Come on. I knew this was a bad idea.
Let’s hear him out.
“Okay, who? That fortune telling lady over there will give you the answers you seek.”
“I don’t know. I wouldn’t trust someone who uses magic. Isn’t it demonic?”
“Oh no. The lady doesn’t use magic of any kind. It’s all pretend for the sake of fun. There’s no real magic done at all.”
“Okay. We’ll go see her then.”
“Good luck and thank you for playing.”
Whatever. I got a feeling this that we’re going to be led into a series of events.
Let’s just see what happens. These seem like nice people.
That’s what they do so they can trick you.
Come on, Catullus. Don’t think so negatively of people.
Are you sure about that? I mean look at that lady. She looks like a wooden puppet. Is she an android or a cyborg?
It doesn’t matter as long as she tells us where we need to go.
I guess not.
“Hello, you two little furry animals! Step forward, I don’t bite. Do you want to play a game to gain wisdom from beyond?”
“No, thank you. We were told by the man over there that you could tell us how to get to fifth and Stein from here.”
“Oh, I can, and I can tell you much more than that. I’m not using actual magic, but I can tell a lot with my natural abilities.”
“Are you an android with access to databases?”
“I’m not though I may look inhuman, little kitty. I was a secretary who was in charge of organizing and remembering information for a business in the city. Now, would you like to know something incredible? It could help you later in life.”
“Sure, why not?”
Hamlet.
We’ll only hear a couple of things before we go.
She didn’t even give us the information we were looking for.
I’m sure she’ll tell us.
“Here is what I can find that you might find interesting and useful. The person that you seek is close, but he’ll be at the location you’re going to when you get there. I’m assuming you’re looking for you’ll need the hamster’s original body, which should be at his house.”
I wish we could get him to change us sooner.
“There is not two but one being standing in front of me. I sense a second, but he’s very faint.”
This is your body Catullus, so maybe she thinks we’re just one being because I have very few parts in it.
She could be thinking that, but you’re the one who moves and talks for us more than I do, so I wouldn’t really call this my body anymore. It’s more like ours now.
“Oh, what is this? There is a person following your adventure. I can’t tell what they look like, but they are reading a story of some kind. Your story in fact. What a cutie.”
Okay…
“Hmmm…also-”
“Excuse me, lady. We need to know where to go.”
“Yes, of course. I apologize for not telling you that first. You must; go straight, go left, go right, go straight, left, straight, right, right, left, straight, then the destination should be in sight. Do you have all of that?”
“Yes.”
No, we don’t.
Shut it. These directions are too simple. When do we make a turn and how long do we go straight for?
“If you want a map, the master of the circus has plenty for people who may get lost in the city. He’s in the large black and white tent at the end of the docks.”
“Alright. Thank you!”
“You’re welcome. I’ll be seeing you very soon, cutie.”
“Huh?”
“Don’t mind me. I was talking to the person following you.”
“Sure…”
That lady is crazy. We should just sneak in the tent, find the map, then run out of here.
I’m sure that the owner will happily give us the map without any trouble.
We were supposed to get directions without any trouble.
We only had to play one game and listen to what the lady had to say. It’s nothing.
Whatever. We’re here. It’s too dark in this tent. What’s with all this equipment here? It looks way more expensive than most of what we find in the city. Where are those maps at?
Do you feel like we’re being watched?
Now that you mention it, yeah. The owner is supposed to be here, but I didn’t notice him coming in.
Maybe he’s here and we don’t see him because of the darkness.
You’re right, but maybe he doesn’t notice we’re here.
Don’t be so rude. We should say something to him.
Alright. Where is he? It’s so difficult to see in here.
Do you see something in the darkness? Is he that black and white clown in the darkness?
He’s still like a statue if he is. What’s with that smile on his face? We’ll approach him to see if he’ll react. Ah! He is real!
“It’s about time you noticed me! What are your names?”
He’s a kid.
“Hamlet and Catullus.”
“You two will make excellent additions to my circus.”
“Sorry, but we aren’t here for that. We need a map of the city to get somewhere.”
“Oh, but don’t you want to make people smile and feel happy? It’s a better way of living than anything that you could possibly be doing.”
“Probably, but we really need to go.”
“Stay for a while. We’re going to be having some wonderful performances soon by the best talent that you can’t find anywhere else. Maybe they’ll convince you to stay.”
“I said no! How many times do I need to tell you no?!”
Catullus.
What?
Don’t be so harsh on him. He’s just a kid.
He won’t stop asking us to stay. I need to put our foot down.
Look at him. He looks like he’s going to cry.
Sheesh.
“I’m sorry, kid. Hey! Put us down!”
“Trust me, you’ll love being a part of our circus! Ow! Why did you bite me?”
Forget the map, let’s get out of here!
“Please stay!”
This kid is something else. What’s with all the extending arms, legs, and little versions of himself. They’re coming from everywhere! Ah! Watch out for his face!
“Please stay!”
“How about you stay away from us?!”
“Ow! Why you!”
He’s got us, but we can slip out.
Be careful Catullus! What are you doing?
Stopping him by disabling his body. This should be the circuits. There we go and perfect landing as always. Him and his clones are all disabled now. Let’s get out of here.
“Pl-please stay. Wan-want-just want to make people smile an-an-and happy. Pl-please.”
That lady is walking towards us. She has a map in her hands.
“Sorry for the trouble. He was kicked out of the city by his family because his dream of making people happy isn’t profitable in the city. It’s the reason why I had to leave the city with him. Trust me when I say that he has a good heart. The trauma of being disowned by his family is still affecting his control of his emotions. I apologize on his behalf. Here, the map you were looking for.”
“Thank you.”
“You’re welcome. If you come back next time, he’ll be in better control. He’s good about making things up to people.”
Like that’s going to happen. Okay, where to go. Ah, this way.
I feel bad for that kid. We should go back later.
Nah. Not a chance.
I’m sure he feels bad for what he did. We should at least give him another chance.
…I hate that you make me feel guilty. Sure, we’ll go back some other time.
There’s the good heart in my buddy that I know.
Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment