Monday, March 16, 2020

Broken Porcelain: Chapter 1 - Dolls Just like Me


Chapter 1 – Dolls Just like Me
Parents are supposed to take care of their children and the ones that don’t are considered some of the worst people in the world. Elena was raised by an abusive family before a fire destroyed her home. She was then adopted by a better family who treats her better. On one day, she did something that she wasn’t supposed to and was about to be scolded by her family. Fearing being hit or yelled out again, she runs away from home and into the woods. In the woods, she finds what appears to be an empty mansion that she goes into. The door behind her closes. She tries to open it but is unable to. When she turns around, she sees young dolls like her that come out of the darkness, though these dolls have cracks in their shells.
“Who-who are you?” Elena asks.
A single girl walks out from the crowd with a maid outfit and a headwrap that makes it look like she has cat ears.
“My name is Mia and you look like you’re one of us.”
“What do you mean?”
“Do you have a mom and dad who hate you?”
“Not exactly. I mean I did, but my new family is nicer.”
“That can’t be true if you ran away from them.”
“Um. I don’t know about that.”
“Then why did you run away?”
“Because I didn’t want to be hurt or scolded at again, even though I think I may have deserved it. Is there a way out of here?”
“There is, but an adult is preventing us from leaving. The first floor is the only safe place with many of us trying day in and day out to get to the third floor to get the adult and its lapdog to break the spell on this place. You can help if you want. It is dangerous because of all the traps that were set for us.”
“Um. I don’t think I can do it. I’m not a very brave person.”
The crowd of young dolls disperses as they go back to what they were doing.
“That’s fine. You can make yourself home with us. We’re all friends here so there’s nothing to be afraid of.”
Elena is hesitant to do anything as she looks around then outside the windows hoping that someone will open the door from the outside. Mia approaches her and holds out her hand.
“Come on. I’ll show you around. What’s your name?”
“Elena.”
“Well, Elena. It’s nice to meet you.”
“Um. It’s nice to meet you too.”
“You can take my hand. Haha, I won’t bite.”
Feeling a little pressured and uncertain of what to do, Elena takes Mia’s hand. Mia smiles a comforting smile to Elena, and she returns the smile while feeling a bit uneasy about the slight coldness in Mia’s hand. Mia leads Elena to a dining hall with plates of food and cups of drinks floating in the air. The flying tableware flies from the kitchen back to it when the food and drinks are finished as a continuous supply of food is put on a long table for all the dolls to enjoy.
Amazed by what she’s seeing, Elena says, “Wow! There’s so much food flying around!”
“We were able to steal some of the magic from the adult to make this happen. Pretty neat, ain’t it? It’s an infinite supply of food. We desperately need it because of how long we’ve been stuck here and because we don’t know how much longer we’re going to stay.”
“Hm.”
“Do you want to eat anything?”
“I’m okay.”
Mia then leads Elena to a large outdoor area where the dolls are playing with stuffed animals and toys that have come to life to play with them. With Elena’s hand still in hers, Mia takes her to play with the animals.
“Woah, hey!”
“Come on, this is going to be fun!”
The two fly through the air and through an obstacle course before landing on the ground.
“I bet you’ve never done anything like that before. Wasn’t that fun?”
“Yeah, it was.”
“Unfortunately, we can’t fly out of here, use the toys to help us with the toys, or bust out of here with the toys. I wish I could say everything is fun and games down here, but…I’ll just have to show you.”
Mia takes Elena to the bedrooms that double as the medical room.
“The dolls who try to make it through the traps and fail end up here. You can see the terrible things that might happen to you here. I’m sorry if this scares you. It’s a good thing us dolls don’t die unless each piece of us shatters, isn’t it?”
“Yeah…”
“So, this is it. Most of us just stay down here and wait for someone to beat all the traps and set us free.”
“I’ll help.”
“Really? You will? I thought a sight like this would’ve made you too scared to.”
“It’s better than doing nothing. Besides, I can’t stand to look at people in pain and do nothing. It’s part of the reason why I got in trouble.”
“Then you didn’t do anything wrong and your parents were going to scold you for no good reason.”
“I guess.”
“I’ll lead you to the first floor since this floor has traps too.”
“It does?”
“Not in our safe area, but the area that leads to the stairs has traps. We’ve pretty much figured out everything about it, so we know how to safely get passed them. The traps on the other floors are more difficult and unpredictable though.”
“Oh.”
“You won’t be on your own though. There should be other people on the other floors that will help you.”
“Okay. Can you let go of my hand now?”
“For now, I can, but I’ll need to hold onto your hand for the next room.”
“What do you mean?”
“You’ll see.”
Mia leads Elena to a hallway with many doors and a floor with different colors and symbols on the tiles.
“Do you see how the tiles on the floor have different colors and symbols?” Mia asks.
“Yes,” Elena answers.
“It may look confusing, but it’s simple. Can you guess what we have to do?”
“Uh. Ummm. Does it have something to do with the puzzle games in the playing room?”
“That’s what we thought, but it doesn’t. It was a red herring Instead, this about going through this trap together. We figured that out two of us went through the trap together while holding each other’s hands. They walked all on all the tiles and nothing happened to them while something happened to the dolls that walked by themselves. That’s why I need to hold your hand. You can’t do it alone.”
“What happens to you if-”
“Oh, it looks like someone tried going through here on their own. I’ll take this foot back to them after I get you to the first floor. Did you say something?”
“N-no.”
“Oh. Is that a head over there?”
Mia and Elena go to the head.
As Mia picks it up, she identifies it. “This is a friend of mine who’s a little rash. Let’s see if her body is around here.”
Mia and Elena walk around the room and put together the doll.
When she’s together, Mia says, “I told you not to do this trap by yourself. You know you can’t pass it without someone.”
“Whatever. I knew someone would eventually find me and put me back together.”
“Don’t be so reckless.”
“I don’t take advice from you. You’re not my parents!”
“Wait, don’t open that door!”
The doll opens the door and walks into an abyss of darkness. A loud shattering sound is heard before the door closes.
“Whelp. It’s going to take some work to put her back together or maybe it’d be better if we left her that way until we get out because of how much trouble she causes,” Mia says.
“Um.”
“Oh, that’s right. There’s only one right door. The wrong doors lead to different horrors like; the door eating you, monsters, and-”
“Can we just go?”
“Okay.”
Mia finally leads Elena to a door that opens up to reveal a spiraling staircase that goes up to the next floor.
“Here we go. This is where we part ways for now. I’ll catch up to you later,” Mia says.
“Wait, won’t something happen to you on the way back?” Elena says.
“Nope. If you go through the traps on a floor, then you can safely go through them on the same day. It’s a weird rule, I know. Good luck.”
“Thanks.”
Mustering whatever bravery she can manage, Elena ascends the stairs ready to face whatever horrors and traps the house may have to escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment