Tuesday, November 20, 2018

The Thieves and the Child They Orphaned: Chapter 2 - Becoming Parents

Hear, my child, your father’s instruction, and do not reject your mother’s teaching; for they are a fair garland for your head, and pendants for your neck.” – Proverbs 1: 8-9
Chapter 2 – Becoming Parents
Hey, Simon. Look.
What is it? The kid is holding onto to you. He’s dead when we lose responsibility for him.
Are you jealous?
No!
I know when you’re lying. When’s the last time you cuddled up to me like this?
He’s double dead then.
Doesn’t he look cute like this? His curly hair is fun to play with. I just have to hold him.
Hey, let go.
You can’t move unless I let you.
The same is true for you.
Yeah, but don’t act like you don’t feel what I do.
Sure, I do. Maybe even stronger than you do.
We should get him something to eat. There’s a breakfast shop not too far from here.
Sure, let’s go. Be careful not to wake him up.
Okay, let’s go.
Do you remember what I said yesterday? That we should give him to actual parents?
Yeah, but I feel like we should be his parents now.
Are you kidding me? Do you how much danger he’ll be in?
No one knows the Good Thieves’ faces.
Then how are we going to make a living? Are we really going to take Curly’s advice?
You never know what kind of jobs we’ll take a liking to. It’s not we haven’t worked low wage jobs before and lived in poor conditions before.
That’s right, but what about him? He’s used to living in comfort and luxury. What will he think?
I don’t know, but we’ll try to make him happy to the best of our ability. Remember to keep your head down while you order.
Right.
“We’ll-I’ll have a dozen glazed donuts and three sausage and egg sandwiches.”
“Got it.”
I don’t think you realize either that we can’t get a job like this. What are we going to say to the employer?
We’ll cover it up with makeup.
Even the obvious black line separating our bodies? We have different facial and body features that’ll definitely draw attention to us.
We have to find a way to make it work.
Or we could just go with my plan. It’ll be easier for us and for him.
It being easy doesn’t mean it’s the right thing.
Like we know the right thing to do. Curly is making us rethink our lives.
“Here’s your order, sir.”
“Thank you.”
Let’s just take it one step at a time. I hope he didn’t wake up and think we left him.
Me too. I’m sort of surprised we made it passed that without drawing any attention to us.
Then maybe we can do it every day then.
Let’s take your advice and do this one step at a time.
“Hey, you’re awake, Curly.”
“You’re calling me Curly now?”
“Think of it as a loving nickname. We got you breakfast. We thought that you wouldn’t live on the scraps of food that we are used to.”
“You went out and didn’t get noticed for your appearance?”
“We were hiding it.”
“I’m glad you thought about me. Thank you.”
“You’re welcome, but I wish we could do more. Hey, uh. After things blow over, we were thinking about sticking you with a better couple. Our life is too dangerous for you and who knows what will happen later. You must have friends or family that will take you.”
“I don’t. Besides, God stuck you with me, so I’m staying with you. I don’t care if you’re a bit self-righteous. People can change.”
“That’s true, but just look at us. Do you really want us to be your caretakers?”
“If God thinks you can do it, I do too.”
“Fine, Curly. Keep digging yourself an early grave. The good do die young.”
“I’m sure you’ll keep me safe. So, what are we going to do today?”
“Lay low like we said until things blow over. We have enough money and snacks to live on until they do. We also have cards, our laptop, comics, and two handhelds that you can play games on if you want.”
“That sounds boring.”
“What kind of kid doesn’t want to do nothing all day?”
“Me. I did nothing but read books and educate myself when I wasn’t in school.”
“School wasn’t enough for you?”
“School doesn’t teach you the most important things you need to know like knowing God and being morally responsible.”
“You got a point there.”
“I heard weird noises that sounded like screaming last night next door. Did you?”
“We know of a bunch of thieves that steal people. They might be using this area of the city because the police usually keep away from here. You don’t want to know about it.”
“I’m old enough to know the worst of it. I know about kidnappers that steal people’s organs while they’re sleeping.”
“…Yeah. That’s the worst.”
“You have to do something about it.”
“We’re not sure if they’ll still be there. They usually move people during the night.”
“It doesn’t matter. You still have to save who’s there and bring the others to justice.”
“What happened to getting a normal job?”
“What happened to punishing the guilty and all that?”
“Fine, but we can’t make any promises. Stay here and don’t move until we come back. We should have an extra pistol in our large case. It’s non-lethal like the rest of our weapons.”
“I’m coming with you.”
“Absolutely not.”
“We’re connected. You can’t leave without me.”
“We left you when we got breakfast. Trust us on this. We know what we’re doing.”
“Okay. Come back safe and sound.”
“Thanks, and stay put.”
“Alright.”
Why don’t we do anything about the members of the thieves’ network that do things like kidnap people, Simon?
It’s a trust between thieves. I don’t mess with you and you don’t mess with me.
Should that really stop us from doing the right thing?
No, especially since we have other thieves after us.
This looks like a good building to do horrible things in secret.
I have the signal jammer on so they can’t call for help.
Let’s do this hard and fast.
Right. This doesn’t look like what we thought it would be.
Yeah. They do just sell organs.
At least we won’t have to lie to him.
There were only seven people in the building.
Well, it is the perfect number.
Wait, did you hear a gunshot?
Oh no. Let’s hurry!
They got Curly! Dumb kid.
“Put your gun down freak or the kid-”
“You don’t leave your head exposed during a hostage situation. Take it from the experts. Are you okay, Alastair?”
“Hey, you called me by my real name!”
“Ow! We forgot we couldn’t hit you. What did we tell you?”
“I thought-”
“You thought stupid! You could’ve been killed! Are you sure you weren’t hurt? Let me take a look at you.”
“You would’ve felt it. I didn’t know you cared so much about me.”
“It’s uh-we’re in this weird situation together and we couldn’t imagine an innocent like you being hurt. Oh.”
Never thought he would hug us.
He’s a good kid, Simon.
“Thank you for rescuing me. I’ll be sure to listen to you from now on…on things you know.”
“You better. Now go back. We’ll take care of things from here.”
“Okay.”
We didn’t check the thieves’ network yesterday. Let’s see if they’re saying anything about us.
Here’s a computer we can use. Hmmm. People are only talking about the thieves who attacked us getting arrested and our base being blown up. Most aren’t too worried about us.
Good. Let’s call this into the police then leave.
We’re acting like real heroes now.
Like we weren’t before.
We weren’t in the mind of Alastair. He seems to know about being good people better than we do.
He does have good points, but we shouldn’t make going after other thieves a habit. Don’t even think about saying yes to him if he asks us again, Sylvia.
I know you won’t say no to him.
He won’t suggest we do it again. I guarantee it.
“What are you guys going to do for the rest of the day?”
“Keep our heads down as planned. Maybe we’ll consider getting “real” jobs like you said.”
“That’s amazing, but do you know of any other thieves you could go after before you do that?”
Ha. You were wrong. You owe me something.
We didn’t even bet on it!
“Why? I thought you wanted us to leave that life behind. Now you’re making us doing vigilante work?”
“Okay, this is the last one. I want to see that you really want to change.”
“And the first one didn’t show it along with all of our other actions?”
“You always go the extra mile.”
“Fine. One more. You’re lucky that there’s one more group of thieves operating in this area. It’s a bit further away from here so you’ll have to stay a while by yourself.”
“I’m coming with you.”
“What did we say before?!”
“You don’t have to scream. Isn’t there anything I could do to help you with?”
“Maybe. The place these guys are held up just so happens to be throwing an early afternoon party for a charity event they’re holding.”
“Charity event?”
“Thieves can be charitable too, kid.”
“Here we go with the kid thing again.”
“Our looks should come in handy, but you could sneak into different places during the party to do things for us.”
“Then let’s go. We’re both already dressed up for the party.”
“Hold on. You can’t just go like that. Let me put makeup on your face so that you really look like you’re part of the party.”
“Don’t draw anything stupid.”
“I wouldn’t do that. Let’s see…Almost done…and…there we go. What do you think?”
“I look like a crazy killer. One half with a light blue eye and a purple frown, the other half with an orange eye and red smile.”
“I think you look cute.”
“You have weird taste in boys, so I believe it.”
“Watch it, kid. I could hold you down and draw something different on you.”
“I’m kidding, Simon. I think you’re a cool kind of weird.”
I’m not sure if that’s a compliment or half of one.
He likes you Simon.
I think he likes you more.
I won’t argue with that.
“Do you guys have a plan?”
“We do. You’ll have to sneak past the party and go to the power room to disable the power. We’ll be locking down the building and giving the authorities a nice present, even though some of the people are their own.”
“What are you going to do?”
“Distract everyone with our charming personality then make an escape route for us.”
“A very general plan, but I guess I should trust you on this.”
“We got this, Curly. Don’t you worry about it.”
“Are you sure you’re fine going out like this without covering your face? People are staring.”
“Hey, are you going to the costume party downtown?”
“We are.”
“I love your mask. How did you get it to be like…like you have it?”
“Mechanics and very fine cloth. It’s a delicate thing that you probably shouldn’t touch.”
“Don’t worry about it. It kind of freaks me out how realistic it looks to be honest. No offense.”
“None taken. So why are you going to the party?”
“To get more contacts within business and government. A bunch of medium to big names will be there today. Why are you going?”
“Same as you.”
“Then you heard about the rumors of some of the people there being thieves?”
“The greedy ones are always called thieves.”
“No, I mean literal thieves, as in, they steal for a living.”
“I always hear about businesses and governments doing that, but they don’t get what they deserve. At least not in this life.”
“I know. I’m just saying we should be careful about who you talk to.”
“We will. We know who’s going to be there.”
“You seem to know your stuff. What’s your name? Mine’s Walter.”
“Siylviaon. I mean, Simon.”
“Nice to meet you, Simon. I hope to do business with you in the future.”
“Same to you.”
Do you think that guy could be trouble, Simon?
Nah, but he may be obvious to what’s really happening at the party. We may have to get him out of it when the cops show up.
“Huh? What is it, Curly?”
“Do you know what I’m thinking?”
“We are.”
“Oh, is this your kid?”
“Yes.”
“I like his makeup.”
“You seem like a good parent.”
“Thanks.”
We seem like a good parent?
We’ve only been with Curly for a day, but he’s attached to us and we’re growing close to him.
It’s the attachment that God put between us. He’s forcing us to take a liking us to each other.
It’s also because we’re trying to get along in this situation. He’s a good kid and we’re trying to be good caretakers.
But parents?
I don’t know.  He seems to have forgiven us already for accidentally killing his parents.
We have to ask him later.
Let’s take him out after this so we can do that.
“Wow! Look at all the colorful lights in the luxury apartment.”
“It’s great, ain’t it? The ugliest of people hide in the prettiest of lights. Let’s get this done and then we’ll treat you.”
“Alright.”
“Okay, Curly. You ready for sneaking?”
“Ready.”
“Remember, the power generator should be in the bottom floor. Put this device on it and the power should shut down completely. No one can remove it without permanently damaging the generator.”
“This won’t hurt me, will it?”
“You might feel a small shock, but that’s it. Come back upstairs when the power is off.”
And there he goes.
Our little troublemaker.
How are we going to distract everyone here? It doesn’t seem like anyone wants to talk to us.
We just distract them with our looks. People are already looking at us.
He just entered the basement. It shouldn’t be too long now. I wonder what they have to drink and eat here.
It doesn’t look like much.
Rich people food always look appealing but there’s never much to it. Remember that one time we got steaks on a menu that cost eighty dollars? It was just that and mashed potatoes.
That was a rip-off. We’ve had dinners that cost eighty dollars that filled us up more. Oh? Curly did it.
Everyone is confused. We should get moving.
Here he comes.
“You did great, Curly. We’re proud of you.”
“Thanks, but what about-”
“Almost forgot. Thanks for reminding us. Hey, Walter.”
“What’s going on Simon?”
“Nothing good. You should follow us.”
“Why-Hey, don’t pull on my suit too hard. It cost me a paycheck.”
“We know a way out of the building. Don’t bring anyone along.”
“You guys didn’t do this, did you?”
“Not directly.”
“Why should I trust you? Ugh!”
“Because we’re going to save your life.”
“You didn’t have to knock him out.”
“It was going to be difficult for him to do this next part.”
“What’s the next part?”
“Hold on. Yes, operator? There’s a luxury apartment with a dozen or so people that you have on your wanted list. There’s a bomb about to go off! Hurr-Close your ears, Curly.”
“What? Woah! Won’t the others be able to escape from here? Not if they want to climb down twelve stories with their bare hands.”
“So how are we going to get down?”
“You see this backpack we have?”
“Oh no.”
“Sit on Walter. We’ll hold you as we descend down.”
“Have you ever done this before?”
“Yes.”
Yes, as in jumping out of a high building. Not like this though.
We still got this.
You bet.
“Comfortable?”
“No.”
“Let’s go then. Woah!”
“Woooooooah!”
“Relax Curly or else you’ll fall. Just hold onto us. We’ll be on the nearby rooftop in no time.”
“Ehhhhhhhhhh.”
“Oh, stop it you big baby. Hahaha. We’re safe already.”
“Oh thank God. I’ll never take my life for granted again.”
“Let’s get out of here.”
Oh, hide our face.
“Did you guys escape that explosion? We saw it from our window and came up here to get a better view.”
“We didn’t, but get this guy, Walter, someplace to rest. He’s been skydiving a bit too much.”
“Oh, sure.”
“That was something else you guys.”
“Are we redeemed in your eyes now?”
“I think you are. Besides, I don’t want to do anything like that ever again.”
“We’re glad. Let’s reward ourselves then.”
“Where are we going?”
“We know of this great garden that you could eat lunch and dinner at. It’ll be a nice place to rest our minds at.”
“I’ll take anything good after this.”
This should perfectly make him comfortable for what we’re going to ask him.
I hope he won’t get mad at us.
He would’ve shown it by now.
But we’re still connected to each other like this.
Maybe it’s our punishment for what we did as thieves.
Do we really have to stay like this until we die?
You don’t like being with me like this?
It’s not that.
If you knew what we did, then I guess this seems justified.
Then we’ll stay like this.
It’ll be difficult.
As long as Curly and you are happy, it’ll be worth it.
Stole the words right from my mind.
“This place is amazing.”
“This is where I proposed to Sylvia. We haven’t been here in years.”
“I can see why. It looks like a great place to set the mood. So, what are we getting to eat?”
“We uh…want to ask you something first.”
“What is it?”
“Try to keep this down. Do you still hate us for accidentally killing your parents?”
“…”
Uh oh. I don’t like awkward silences.
Say something, Sylvia.
“We’re sorry for what we did. We’ll take of you to the best of our abilities and get whatever you want to make it up to you.”
“…”
“If you want us to bring you to a better family, then we’ll do that.”
“I don’t hate you.”
“You don’t? Why not?”
“It wasn’t your fault. I can’t blame you for it.”
“Don’t you want to still hate us from taking you away from your comfortable life? You were set in terms of wealth and possessions.”
“I know, but I have to let that go. Besides, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.”
“Oh, that’s right. Do you want us to leave you with a better family? You must have friends and other family members that will happily take you in. We’re just a poor couple with no job, no house, and a dwindling bank account.”
“Didn’t I answer this before? God put us together, so I’m staying with you. It doesn’t matter if you’re poor or stuck together like you are. This is the way things are meant to be now.”
He’s set on us.
I’m not sure if I should cry or not.
Don’t, Sylvia because you’re going to make me cry too.
“Hey, who else has parents like I do? My parents are so cool that they redeemed themselves after being one of the most infamous thieving couples. I think I have the coolest parents ever.”
“You’re right we’re the coolest. Now, let’s get something to eat.”
“I saw a breakfast store here. I want ice cream and pancakes.”
“We think that’s a great idea. We’ll have the same.”

No comments:

Post a Comment