Thursday, December 22, 2022

A Union of Hearts: Love and Truth is for Fools: Chapter 1 – Path of the Fool

Chapter 1 – Path of the Fool

“I play Fusion of Two Virtues to combine Lux and Nox to summon Dominus, Lord of Light and Dark from my deck. In addition, I give up half of my hit points so that Dominus has over eight thousand attack. Your move,” my friend says with a smug expression on his face.

This game still confuses me will all its summoning and how certain decks work. It’s why I like playing simple decks even if they aren’t the most powerful. My mind went blank not too far back with how many cards my friend activated to get to this point in the game. His smug expression must mean that he’s confident that he’ll win. I vaguely remember him telling me that he can use Dominus’ effect to sacrifice the cards in his hand to negate the effects of the same card type that I use. Oh, well. I guess it’s time to trust in the providence of the cards as they say.

“I play Pot of Lucious Excess to draw two cards,” I say.

“Not so fast. I use Dominus’ effect and get rid of my magic card from my hand so you can’t use it,” my friend says as if he just won.

“Okay, I play another Pot.”

“You’re lucky I don’t have another magic card to sacrifice.” I draw two cards and then two more cards and then another two cards. “Wait, you can only draw two cards, not six.”

“Well, the card says I can draw two cards. It doesn’t say how many times I can draw two cards.”

“Hold on, that’s not how-”

“And now I’ve drawn all the pieces of the Almighty and win as a result of its effect.”

“Alright, alright. I see that you need more time to get used to this game. We’ll try playing with another deck of mine. See how you like that one.”

“I’m sorry, but you know I must leave town for now to help others who are in need.”

“I know that. Can’t you stay a bit longer? You can’t keep going from place to place all the time. You’ll eventually have to rest.”

“I know, but I still have many evils that I must atone for and I feel a calling in my heart to keep going. Something is going to happen soon enough. I can feel it. The Absolute is pulling me forward to a breakthrough.”

“I’d believe it better if the Absolute weren’t pulling you in this neutral territory where neither the Church nor the conceited kingdoms rule.”

“The Absolute works everywhere in the world even if it isn’t obvious.”

“It’s obvious for people like you with Heart Absolute abilities. For normal folk like me, it hardly is.”

“You’ll get your Heart Absolute ability soon. I can feel it in your heart.”

“I hope that’s the case.”

“It is the case. I’ll see you around, friend.”

“See you later, Nelson. Be sure to stop by my house first so we can even the score between us.”

“I’ll be sure to.”

When I walk outside the bar, I am immediately greeted by the people I’ve helped, to which I say my goodbyes. They wish me well and hope that I come back soon. I’ll likely come back sooner than they think since I’ve mostly been traveling between certain towns, settlements, and farms for the past five months. When I walk outside the bar, I am immediately greeted by the people I’ve helped, to which I say my goodbyes. They wish me well and hope that I come back soon. I’ll likely come back sooner than they think since I’ve mostly been traveling between certain towns, settlements, and farms for the past five months. There are more places than most that I'd like to go back to. Not every place has nice people, which is to be expected in the neutral zone, however, there are some places that I'd rather not revisit for now because I messed up in helping them and would go back when the wounds of the past are healed.

Speaking of that, I still have much to make up for. Thinking of what I specifically did just complicates things. What's the use of remembering the mistakes of the past anyway? They only bog down my efforts to erase the consequences of them. I've already done a good job of making a new name for myself. The Nelson of old is dead and gone while the Nelson of today is a completely different man. At least I hope that this is the case.

“Help! We need...help...” a man says that's coming my way.

On the way out of town, I see a group of injured people limping in. No, they aren't injured in the physical sense. They appear to have been attacked by the vainglory judging by the black spots on their skin and erratic behavior. Many in the town back away from them and look at me. Okay, I get it. Here are more people that the Absolute has given to me to heal. Walking to the possessed, I keep a safe distance as they keep walking forward.

“I can help. Just try to control yourself while I do,” I say.

“We'll try. What are you going to do from there?” one of them asks.

I can hear the voices of the vainglory tempt their hearts and tempt mine. They tell me that I'll fail and that I'm no good to anyone. It's all nonsense and I have to stop listening to them.

“You'll see or rather hear.”

With all the confidence and care my heart can muster, I begin to sing a song.

 

“Try and try again

Failure is not the end

Forget about what happened back then

Leave your mistakes behind and ascend

 

A new day is here

A second chance is given

What we need to do is clear

Be brave and don't give in

 

My help is always near for you

There is nothing to fear

Now is the time to be true

Because you are held dear

 

I know the past is like a chain

And life is difficult without a friend

But there is much to gain from the pain

All wounds will one day mend

 

A new day is here

A second chance is given

What we need to do is clear

Be brave and don't give in

 

My help is always near for you

There is nothing to fear

Now is the time to be true

Because you are held dear

 

It won't be easy, life is a fight

There's always more work to do

But we can make things right

And begin brand new”

 

The dark spots on the possessed disappear as well as the hands of the vainglory on their hearts.

“Thank you so much! You’re the answer to our prayers sent from above!” one of them says as they hug me.

Many in the town behind us cheer over the results of the successful exorcism and tell me I should stay to celebrate. I deny it and let them know that I need to help many more like them, which they reluctantly accept and let me go. Still, I can’t escape the gifts of the town as the carriage driver I pay to take me to the next town wants to give me a free ride there.

“You either take the offer or you walk,” the carriage driver says.

“Okay, fine. Thank you,” I say.

“It’s my pleasure after all you’ve done for me and mine.”

There’s no use arguing with this guy, so I keep quiet, sit back, and enjoy the ride while trying to get some shut eye. Some time passes before I feel a hand wake me up. Looking around, I see the driver still focusing on the road and no other passengers in the carriage. I know this guy would take wanderers to safe places if they were lost, but it looks like I was just imagining things.

Before I go back to sleep, the driver says, “You should stop by someplace nice next. You deserve it.”

“Thank you, but I have a lot more work to do before I do that,” I say.

“No, I insist. You have no mistakes, no evils to do penance for. You never did.”

“What makes you say that?”

Something’s wrong. My senses are dull even as I try to wake myself up.

“You were right to claim power the way you did. Don’t you long for the days when your voice manipulated rather than exorcised or raised spirits?”

“No. How do you know so much?”

“I just know. I also know that you treated your subjects as they were meant to be treated, as tools for the betterment of humanity.”

“No, you’re wrong.”

My strength is slowly returning. Just a little longer until I can do something about this guy.

“Am I? You’ve had me driving you around the same towns, helping the same people, solving the same problems, and only now are you going somewhere different where you will likely do the same thing. The Church and its faithful are incompetent and hardly do anything to help these people because the land isn’t under their control. If you were in charge, things would be different and better. You know it’s true.”

“Silence, demon. I won’t listen to your lies.”

The driver turns around revealing the dull light shining from his eyes. He’s possessed by a vainglory for sure. Seeing the man’s eyes makes me want to believe him and think that I could change the land if I were in charge, but I’ve already proved in my past that it's not true. The song I want to sing is stuck in my throat as if it were a stone. I silently pray for the strength to get it out and eventually it does.

 

“Fill my heart, True Love

Descend upon my heart from above

Claim it for your own

Make it your throne

 

Correct my wrongs

To you, do I belong

Fill me with true light and dark

So that I may play my part”

 

After singing the short prayer, the vainglory leaves the man’s heart, takes away its hands from mine, and goes back to the hellish Land of the Forgotten where it belongs.

Now that the man has his mind and heart back in his control, he jolts as if waking from a nightmare, and then says, “Are you okay, Nelson?! I’m sorry I let that thing get to me.”

“It’s alright. I’m used to them trying to catch me when I’m sleeping,” I admit.

“I’ll be on guard better this time. I swear it.”

“I know you will. Just try not to excessively worry. They’ll get to you that way.”

“Of course, of course.”

Maybe I should take my own advice. I always say not to worry about my past, but the demons of it come back to remind me of it and I’m tempted to go back to my old false self. The neutral zone would be better if I could-No! I’m not going to do it again. I’m not going to let my past define my future. As long as I keep doing what I’m doing, the old me will never come back. I’ll never become that falsehood again, and the ruin I’ve brought to the world will be healed.

I’ve gotta keep my hopes up. I’ve gotta stop thinking about what causes me to worry and get some rest. Still, the vainglory in this area is a problem and no matter how many I exorcise and convert people so that they can defend themselves against the demonic, they still are a problem. Perhaps this is how I earn my redemption by dedicating my life to the purification of this land. The future is where my salvation lies and it’s always getting closer with every breath. I only wish it can come sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment