Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Revenge First, Love Later: Chapter 4 – Peace Through Love


Chapter 4 – Peace Through Love
“This is the worst,” Juno says as she struggles in the tight coffin.
“I know, but can you stop moving around on me? You’re making this more uncomfortable,” Rex says.
“Laying on top of you is uncomfortable. I’m trying to move over to the side, but there’s not enough space for me to move.”
“Just stop already!”
“My mom and my kingdom’s army is going to become undead if we don’t break out of here soon!”
“I know that, but we can’t break out of here with force.”
“I’m not falling in love with you.”
“I’m not asking for that. He said at least learn to like each other.”
“But if what he said was true about God wanting us to fall in love, then we’d have to eventually love each other. How would we even-” Rex pulls Juno’s face in and kisses her on the lips. She retaliates by pushing him off then headbutting him. “…I’m going to cut your head off when we get out of here.”
“It wouldn’t be the first time.”
“What were you thinking? I’m a corpse!”
“I was thinking that maybe I could trick the coffin into opening by showing it a sign of love. Why? What? What’s that look on your face?”
“What look?”
“You have a weird look and it’s starting to scare me. You didn’t like that kiss, did you?”
“…I-”
“I can’t believe you had to think about it.”
“S-shut up! I don’t know what’s going through my head and what I’m feeling right now, okay?! That wasn’t even a good kiss!”
“What do you know about good kisses? Have you kissed other men or been kissed by men other than your dad?”
“N-no.”
“Then I wouldn’t judge my kiss. I’m sure that you can’t even kiss good either.”
“I’ll show you a good ki-No! I’m not going to think about that! Agh! What made you comfortable enough to kiss me anyway?”
“I just thought about the good things about you. The few good things, I mean.”
“What good things?”
“You’re dedicated to God, the Church, your family, and your kingdom. You’re fierce, smart, and selfless. Fighting and arguing with you has made me realize that you’re not that bad of a person. In fact, you’re a lot like me, if you can believe it. What? You have that look in your face agai-” Juno kisses Rex much to both of their surprise. “…What…what did you do that for?”
“Because you can be really annoying, but you can be really brave, heroic, and rarely sweet. It’s just like you said. You’re a lot like me.”
The coffin slowly starts to open as Rex and Juno begin to acknowledge their newfound feelings for one another.
“Juno. Our kingdoms may have hated and killed each other for generations, but we have to put that aside. We have to go out there to save your kingdom from becoming undead and Nevar’s plan.”
“After that…can we see each other?”
“Yes, and here I thought you had enough of me.”
“I’m just starting to like you.”
“You kiss people you just start to like?”
“Shut up.”
Their coffin completely opens, and they exit from it. The sun is about to rise in the sky as the morning slowly arrives. Rex is about to take out his sword to deflect an attack from Juno that he expects to happen but is instead hugged.
“Hey, I thought you didn’t want to be this close to me. Weren’t you going to cut my head off?” Rex asks.
“Don’t disregard my affection! Keep talking like that and I will cut off your head!”
“Will you now? After what we just said to each other? Go ahead. It doesn’t matter if you do.”
Juno hesitates to take her sword out and instead walks through Rex and takes his hand.
“Stop messing around! We have to go save my kingdom!”
“And now you’re holding my hand?”
“Shut up!”
Rex and Juno make their way to the capital where a horde of the undead are approaching the capital’s walls. Among the undead are war animals and dead soldiers from both kingdoms. Nevar leads the army from the front with his sympathizers, who are now undead, by his side.
“How are we going to get passed this army?” Juno asks.
“We go through them. Our combined strength should be enough to do this.”
“It helped us beat a single bear and elephant. I’m not sure if it can help us with this huge horde.”
“Do you trust me?”
“I’m just starting to.”
“Do you trust me?”
“I do.”
“Then let’s do this.”
Juno and Rex cut themselves up and combine into a singular body. They charge through the horde of the undead while the archers from the Notte kingdom launch their arrows into the horde. Juno and Rex use a bear as a shield to block the arrows then through the animal to help clear the way. At the capital’s walls, the archers and watchers are in disbelief at seeing Juno and Rex in a singular body going through the horde. The strength of the two is enough to help them break through the horde, however, they are knocked apart by two elephants. Rex and Juno put themselves together into their original bodies as they charge to where Nevar is. Both are unaware they are too far away from each other to stay together. That is until Nevar notices and stops his undead horde’s advance.
“Rex. Juno,” Nevar says with amazement.
“You better give up now, Raven!” Juno says.
“We aren’t going to let you turn everyone undead!” Rex says.
“You’re correct. I no longer have a reason to.” Rex and Juno are surprised by Nevar’s response but stay on guard. “You two don’t notice it, but you are too far apart from each other to stay in one piece. Being together in that coffin must’ve finally formed a bond between you two that I’ve been waiting for! Now, the kingdoms will finally cease their endless war with one another!”
Nevar releases the souls of the undead from their bodies as his army turns to dust while the people who were undead return to normal, which includes Rex and Juno. Amazed by the restoration of their normal bodies, they go to embrace each other before they kiss. Everyone watching from the Notte kingdom is stunned while Nevar couldn’t be happier. Nevar and his supporters are taken into custody while Juno and Rex convince their ruling parents to approve of the marriage. What convinces them is the return of their lost lover who they thought was dead.
A marriage ceremony happens a week later with both kingdoms and families uniting on the spot. Even though Nevar isn’t allowed to attend, he is content knowing that he had a hand in making this possible, despite it being primarily God’s hand making good out of his evil. While the celebration is happening, Juno and Rex sit at their table chatting.
“Isn’t this amazing, Rex? I couldn’t imagine anything like this happening a week ago.”
“Me neither. I thought we would’ve been stuck together in that coffin for weeks. It would’ve been Hell.”
“Yea-what?”
“What? It was back when I didn’t like you.”
“But that was also when we fell in love with each other.”
“Oh yeah. Should’ve probably focused on that.”
“Tch. Don’t give me a reason to put you on your butt during our wedding.”
“As if you could.”
“I cut off your head more than once!”
“But I’m still here, aren’t I?”
“That’s it. Let’s go outside to see once and for all who would win a sword fight.”
“I’m game.”
Rex and Juno sneak out with their swords and fight outside where no one should see them. They sword fight with each other until they reach a draw with their sword to their necks.
“Retry,” Juno says.
“I clearly got to your neck before you did,” Rex points out.
“If you did, then you can do it again.”
They fight again only to come out with the same result.
“Let’s go again,” Juno says.
“You know I won, right?”
“This time I know for sure that I got to your neck first. Go again.”
During this next attempt, Rex manages to sweep Juno off her feet and kiss her.
“…okay, you win,” Juno admits.
“Yes!”
“This time.”
“I’m ready to go again any time you want.”
“What are you kids doing?” Rex’s mom asks.
Rex’s and Juno’s parents were watching the fight while placing bets on their child winning.
“You know, just playing around,” Rex answers.
The family laughs together before Rex and Juno go back to the party. With their marriage, Rex and Juno have united both kingdoms and end the seemingly endless war between them. During the war, they thought it was going to end with their side taking their revenge on the other. What they didn’t expect was that love was going to end the war.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment