Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Love Against the World: Chapter 1 – The Price of Running Away

Chapter 1 – The Price of Running Away
For three years, Alto visited Sonata to ask her if she wanted to run away. On the days he didn’t, he would hang out with her to talk and chat about their life. If the weather was good enough and Sonata wasn’t expected to do much, Alto took Sonata out to climb across the city rooftops and see the city from different perspectives. He showed her how the rich beat themselves up to work and make money, which ruins their personal lives. Children are neglected along with the needs of the struggling.
“No one has time for anyone even their own loved ones,” Alto said.
“But they do give them what they need to live a stable life. Doesn’t that show that they still care?”
“Does it? Look at them or you could look at yourself. You would know better.” Sonata thought about her experiences with her family. “I hope your family really does loves you. I’m sure not everyone who is rich is like the people we saw.”
“Yeah, I hope so.”
Later, Sonata closely examined her family’s behavior. It was then she realized how mechanical her parents acted in that they said the same things every time. They said, “I love you” in the same tone every time. They talked about current events in the same way with the only variety being in the day and the event talked about. Thinking that the monotony of the daily events was to blame, Sonata tried to talk to them when she thought they were the least busy only to be told that she should be getting ready for tomorrow. She would try multiple times to get a better reaction out of her parents only to be dismissed by them. Distressed by the parallels between her parents and the parents she saw, she second-guessed everything they taught her and everything she knew.
Throughout the years, Sonata and Alto celebrated holidays together and grew closer each time they were with one another. Both are teenagers at this point. Alto goes out again to see Sonata only to be stopped by a neighbor.
“You’ve been seeing that girl for years now, Alto. I doubt she’ll come here or try to make a difference in the rich city. She’ll probably be like the others who tried to change and go back on their promises to us,” the neighbor says.
“Don’t be so cynical, my friend. We have many people here who seemed like they would never change only to surprise us,” Alto counters.
“That’s because the people that changed those people’s minds were great speakers. You, however, are just a boy who only can sing and dance relatively well.”
“There are other ways to convince someone to change than just words. For example, actions are stronger than words. God has proved that, has He not?”
“He has.”
“Well then, I’m sure Sonata will change her mind. If not, then at least I tried.”
“You have me there. I pray for your success then.”
“Thank you!”
Alto gets to Sonata’s room and knocks on the window like always and she lets him in.
Before he can say anything, Sonata throws aside her mask and says, “Take me away from here, Alto! I can’t stand being here anymore!”
“Woah there! I didn’t even plan on asking you today.”
“But you have to take me away! It’s what you wanted to do from the very beginning, right? Or did you lie to me?”
“No, no. I didn’t lie. Are you sure about this? You could always stay here and try to change the system from the inside.”
“I don’t want to. I don’t feel like it’s God’s calling for me. There aren’t many people here that would help me anyway.”
“Are you positively sure?”
“Yes, I’m sure!”
“…okay. Grab onto my back.”
“Okay. Woah!” Alto uses a hoverboard and flies away from Sonata’s house. “Isn’t this the hoverboard that I gave you last Christmas?”
“Yeah. I made sure to keep it safe and in top condition for this special occasion.”
“I thought you would’ve sold it because of how valuable it is.”
“Nah, I wouldn’t sell something you gave me. Have you ever rode on a hoverboard?”
“No, have you?”
“I had to practice for this. Watch this.”
“Woah!”
Alto does several tricks with the hoverboard that almost crashes them into the buildings and flying cars a couple times.
“Haha! How was that?”
“That was insane and scary!”
“But wasn’t it extricating?”
“I-I guess so.”
“It’s how freedom feels. Are you feeling it?”
“I don’t know. Woah!”
Alto does more tricks while managing to keep Sonata on the hoverboard.
“What about now?”
“Okay, okay! I’m feeling free!”
“Haha! There we go!”
The feeling of being free from her old life fills Sonata with joy and song as she sings while Alto takes her around the city.

“I've been stuck in this place for ages
I have so much, but so little
For acting on stages and putting on different faces

But you're here again to free me
And I'm taking the key
I cared so much and now I'm carefree
I'm never going back
Not when I'm on the attack
And I'm not cutting them any slack

I'm all in for you
You're my shining star, it's true
You have all my bets
Let's Live with No Regrets

You've waken me up
And now I see clearly
No more lies, no more makeup

It's all behind me now
I'm ready for all the challenges God will allow
I'm with you through it all, this I vow

I'm never going back
Not when I'm on the attack
And I'm not cutting them any slack
I'm all in for you
You're my shining star, it's true
You have all my bets
Let's Live with No Regrets

I'll with you through all the trials
Because you've shown me how to smile

I'm all in for you
You're my shining star, it's true
You have all my bets
Let's Live with No Regrets”

As Sonata and Alto fly around, they start to get chased by the police.
“What are the police chasing us for?” Alto asks.
“It’s probably because of all those stunts you pulled,” Sonata answers.
“I didn’t hurt anyone. Plus, I practiced the tricks before, and they didn’t bother me.”
“Ms. Sonata. You have to get back to your house,” the police say from the flying car.
“I’m not even scheduled to do anything today! Stop bothering me!”
“You have to go back home. If you don’t, we’ll bring you back by force.”
“What do you want to do, Sonata?”
“I told you to take me away from here, right? Let’s ditch them.”
“If you say so. Hang on.”
Alto tries several tricks and takes shortcuts to escape the police only to be cut off by a different car.
“These guys won’t give up!”
“I’ll have to do something even more dangerous to get rid of them.”
“As if this wasn’t dangerous enough.”
“Keep your head down.”
Alto flies the hoverboard into the tunnels underground that are between the rich and poor city.
“Is this how you get to the city?”
“Yeah, but this is my first time flying the hoverboard through it.”
“Can’t we just get off now? They can’t track us now.”
A pair of sharp golden claws break through the concrete just above their heads and almost gets them.
“Woah! It doesn’t look like it. We’re going to have to take a detour.”
The claws keep stabbing into the ground nearly getting them until they reach a tunnel that goes up to the surface. They fly up back to the surface and are in the industrial area separating the poor area from the rich. Looking around, they don’t see any police cars, but they are soon ambushed by a golden bird with long arms, legs, and blade-like fingers and toes. It first temporarily blinds them with a light that comes from its eyes that almost makes them crash. It then chases and slashes at them with its claws as Alto tries his best to avoid it.
“What is that?” Alto asks.
“I don’t know! I’ve never seen one before,” Sonata says.
The golden bird’s claws cut through metal and whatever gets in its way. It manages to even go through the tight spaces that Alto flies through as it viciously chases after them. Alto only manages to get away by going back into another series of tunnels where he lets down gates to slow it down. By the time it breaks through one, Alto and Sonata have disappeared into the maze of tunnels.
“Whew! That was something else,” Alto says.
“I didn’t know the city had something like. It seemed like it wanted to kill us rather than catch us,” Sonata says.
“Now I guess we know what happens to the people that try to run away.”
“I’m never going back there if that’s true.”
Alto and Sonata keep flying on the hoverboard as they near the poor city shaken but alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment