Saturday, June 13, 2020

Love Against the World: Chapter 3 – Saying the Obvious

Chapter 3 – Saying the Obvious
Alto’s brothers and sisters wake him and Sonata up by jumping on them.
“No cuddling before marriage!” a sister says.
“You two snuggled together while you slept!” another sister points out.
“Dad! Mom! They were cuddling!” a brother yells.
“Alto was cuddling with a pretty girl before he proposed to her!” another brother shouts.
“I didn’t do it on purpose!” Alto rebukes.
“Okay, okay, kids. Give them some space,” Alto’s mom says.
“I didn’t mean to cuddle with her mom, not saying that I don’t want to, Sonata-wait, that’s not.”
“It’s okay, Alto. I understand. Dad and I are going to get breakfast ready for you and your girlfriend soon.”
“She’s not my-ugh. I’m sorry, Sonata.”
“I don’t mind. I love how lively your family is.”
“Really? Because I can’t stand it sometimes.”
“We hear that!” one of his brothers say.
“I know you do!”
“It’s a blessing to have them especially the way they are.”
“I know. It’s just that sometimes it doesn’t seem like that.”
After they eat breakfast, Sonata joins Alto and his family for their daily prayers, which lasts thirty minutes. Alto’s brothers and sisters take their things and go off to school while Alto’s parents get ready for their day in a separate room from Alto and Sonata.
“My parents didn’t do daily prayers. I completely forgot about them before I saw your family doing them,” Sonata points out.
“Most if not everyone do daily prayers. You can’t dedicate your days to God if you don’t start your day by asking Him to guide you throughout it. When did your family pray?”
“Hardly. Maybe on Sundays in Church and before holiday meals, but that’s it.”
“Prayer is like air to the soul. No wonder why a lot of the people in the rich city seemed so lifeless excluding you and some other people of course. Do you want to wear the outfit that you came here with or the clothes that we made for you? It’s fine if you keep wanting to wear your best. We’ll be sure that it’s well washed and taken care of.”
“I’ll wear the clothes you had made for me. I’m a new person here so I want to wear new clothes. In fact, I’d rather get rid of that dress.”
“Are you sure? It’s your signature dress.”
“I’m sure.”
Alto and Sonata tell her decision to Alto’s parents and they agree with her. At the restaurant where Sonata performs, she gives her dress to the poorest lady in the audience who can barely afford her meal and pays for it. Amazed by her charity, her fans cheer her name. For the next couple of days, Sonata entertains the crowds at the restaurant along with Alto who sings with her for a couple songs. The duo is applauded for their singing and even encouraged to do so. By the time Sunday comes around, the poor city is revitalized by Alto and Sonata’s performances with morale soring high.
During the Sunday Mass, Alto and Sonata lead the Church in song and are asked to do it again for every Sunday to which they agree. The restaurant closes early today and allows the two some time to rest.
“We’re free for the rest of the day. What do you want to do?” Alto asks.
“I want to go see my home again,” Sonata answers.
“You want to check on your parents?”
“I do. They may have not cared for like they should’ve, but they’re still my parents.”
“Okay, I understand. Let’s go see them.”
Alto takes Sonata to go see her parents by using his hoverboard to help them get around. They use a pair of binoculars to see Sonata’s parents from a window. Her parents appear to be doing their normal Sunday work. Seeing them unaffected by her long disappearance makes Sonata feel a bit empty inside, which shows on her face.
“Are you okay, Sonata?”
“Yeah, I’m okay.”
“We can go in closer if you want. Maybe we can catch them talking about you.”
“No, don’t worry about it. I think I would be sadder if I saw them sad. Let’s go back.”
Seeing that Sonata is upset, Alto takes her a vacant part of the shore that’s near the city. It’s close to the active shore where both the poor and rich of the city come together relatively speaking. The shore is divided into two sections with one side managed by those with money and the support of the city while the other is managed by those who have to take out loans every now and then to get by.
“Why are we here? Did you take a wrong turn?” Sonata asks.
“No. I just thought this would be a good place to help calm your mind after seeing your parents. At least that’s what I do when I’m here. It’s nice, small, and secluded away from the other part of the shore by this big cliff.”
“Thank you for taking me here.”
For the next thirty minutes, Sonata and Alto sit together on the beach admiring the sunset and having their feet in the water. They sit in relative silence while enjoying each other’s presence. This moment is what Alto has been waiting for.
He builds up his courage and says, “I love you, Sonata.”
Stunned by his sudden admittance, Sonata doesn’t know what to say at first.
“Sonata?”
“I’m okay. What did you say?”
“I love you.”
“Why?”
“What do you mean why? You should know why by now.”
“I’m sorry it’s just all so sudden.”
“It’s sudden? I thought it was natural. Obvious even. We’re close, aren’t we? Don’t you feel the same.”
“I do! But…I don’t know what to say. I feel afraid all of a sudden.”
Alto starts to sing to Sonata a song he made for her and takes her hands to make her dance with him.

“It's okay
Calm down
This is normal
Because we're in love

I knew since we first met
You took my heart and never let it go
Nothing has been the same
My world has turned upside-down
Everything has changed and I couldn't be happier

Now hold on
It's okay to be scared
It's only natural
It's Only Love

I will never betray you,
Lie to you,
Or hurt you
Don't lose hope,
Because we're in love

I've always wanted to ask if you felt the same
It's kept me up for nights
But now that I know you feel the same I'm complete
Nothing can ruin my life
And I couldn't be happier

Now hold on
It's okay to be scared
It's only natural
It's Only Love

I will never betray you,
Lie to you,
Or hurt you
Don't lose hope,
Because we're in love

Look at me, take my hand, and dance with me
Our love makes us one
The two of us can do anything together
Nothing can make me happier

Now hold on
It's okay to be scared
It's only natural
It's Only Love

I will never betray you,
Lie to you,
Or hurt you
Don't lose hope,
Because we're in love

Don't lose hope,
Because we're in love
And nothing can break us apart”

The song and dance put a smile on Sonata’s face that makes her fear go away.
“Well, what do you have to say to that?” Alto asks.
“I have to say that I love you too.”
Sonata kisses Alto.
“Now that was surprising.”
Sonata and Alto kiss each other again before they head back home. Before they go, they see smoke rising in the air.
“I wonder what that is.”
“Let’s fly up to see what it is.”
Alto and Sonata fly into the sky with the hoverboard to see that the smoke is coming from the poor city. Poor citizens on the beach run to the city while the rich look on their phones to see what is happening.
“What’s happening?” Sonata asks.
“I don’t know, but we need to find out,” Alto says as they fly back to the poor city.

No comments:

Post a Comment