Thursday, June 11, 2020

Love Against the World: Chapter 2 – Value in Poverty

Chapter 2 – Value in Poverty
When they near the exit to the tunnels, Alto and Sonata get off the hoverboard and climb the ladder up to the poor city. Sonata’s first impression of the city is one of pity in how basic everything looks compared to the shimmering look of her home; however, things look livelier here. Besides the obvious detail in everyone not wearing masks, the people here appear livelier in the way they talk to each other in public and move with greater expression than those in the rich city. Some of them recognize Sonata and welcome her to their home. Everything isn’t perfect here though as Sonata witnesses a fight happening in a house between family members and friends.
“I’m sorry you had to see that,” Alto says.
“It’s fine. I understand that no place can be perfect. I did come from a place that tried to pass itself off as perfect and did a bad job at it after all,” Sonata says.
Alto leads Sonata to a restaurant where she meets his family and friends along with the neighbor Alto saw before he left.
“I told you I would change her mind, friend,” Alto says to the neighbor.
“Don’t get too cocky. This is one of the few times you’re right.”
Adults and children start gathering around Sonata and start asking her questions.
“How’s it like in the rich city?”
“Can you sign one of your albums I have?”
“I can take a picture with you?”
“Tell me all about your life.”
As Sonata talks with her fans, Alto asks his neighbor, “Before we got here, we were chased by the police.”
“Of course you would. What do you expect would happen if you take a moneymaker of theirs? You lost them before getting here, right?”
“Yes, but that’s not all that happened. We were chased by a golden bird person with sharp claws that tried to kill us.”
“A golden bird person with sharp claws? Like an assassin?”
“Yeah. Do you know if anyone knows about them?”
“I’ll have to ask around. This is the first time I’ve heard of one.”
“We need to tell everyone who’s going back and forth to the rich city too. This thing is a serious threat. We barely escaped it without a scratch.”
“Will do. Thank you for bringing it to my attention and I’m glad you made it out.”
Sonata’s fans start asking her to sing and Sonata looks at Alto with a smile on her face.
“Let’s hear that inspiring singing, Sonata,” Alto says.
Sonata finally gives in and goes up to the stage in the restaurant to sing.

“The world is empty
All its riches mean nothing
It pretends to love to get its way
Its comforts are only lies

That is why I reach out to love
To the love I feel in you
I know what it's like to feel empty
I know what it's like to believe a lie

And that's never going to be me again

Because I'm Done with the World
Because I'm here with you
I'm letting go of all I was to embrace all of you

They can say that I've lost my mind
But I've gained more than they can imagine
Wealth and power mean nothing to me anymore
Not when I have you
Because I'm done, Done with the World

I believe truth and love are invaluable
Giving to others is a reward itself
To love you is the greatest thing to happen to me
I used to put a price on everything

And that's never going to be me again

Because I'm Done with the World
Because I'm here with you
I'm letting go of all I was to embrace all of you

They can say that I've lost my mind
But I've gained more than they can imagine
Wealth and power mean nothing to me anymore
Not when I have you

Because I'm done, Done with the World
I breathe as my life is made new and
I let go of everything that was holding me back
I'm never going to love empty beliefs and false truths

Because the light in my heart has guided me to you
And I'm never going to let you go

Because I'm Done with the World
Because I'm here with you
I'm letting go of all I was to embrace all of you

They can say that I've lost my mind
But I've gained more than they can imagine
Wealth and power mean nothing to me anymore
Not when I have you

Because I'm done, Done with the World”

The people in the restaurant cheer along with the people outside of it who heard Sonata’s singing. She’s given a free dinner along with Alto who is celebrated for bringing Sonata here. They have a fun time with Sonata singing more songs for the crowds until later at night when everyone goes home.
“Thank you for your wonderful singing today,” Alto’s neighbor says.
“It’s the least I could do for the freedom Alto gave me.”
“What do you want your payment to be?”
“Oh, you don’t need to pay me anything. What you’ve given me is enough.”
“We may be poor here, but we still believe in just wages. Name your price.”
“I’d like to sing at the restaurant. I want to work there so I can fill the place with music and happiness.”
“I’ll tell the owner. I’m sure he’ll be more than happy to have you working there. But surely, you’re worth more than that. How about eating there for free? I know the food isn’t exactly top quality like you’re used to.”
“I’d love to if it’s okay with the owner. I like what they’re serving. The stuff in the city is overrated.”
“Not from what I’ve tasted or at least what I remember.”
“You’ve had food from the city before?”
“Years ago, but that’s not important. Where do you want to live? There isn’t exactly space in the small houses. Most families live in one house. Some even share space with their friends who they consider family. I could kick out Alto from his place and you could have it.”
“Hey!” Alto objects.
“Haha, no, but I would like to live with Alto.”
“Oh really. Taken a liking to him?”
Alto and Sonata shyly laugh.
“It’s not because of that.”
“Oh, so you’re admitting it?”
“Uh, haha…uumm.”
“I’m sure his family would love to have you with them. You have space for her, right Alto? You’ll have to sleep on the streets if you don’t.”
“Yes, sir.”
“Then off you go you two. Tomorrow is going to be another busy day. Oh, and Alto, don’t be getting too comfortable with her.”
“What are you talking about?”
Alto and Sonata say goodnight and goodbye to the neighbor before heading to Alto’s house.
“I don’t know why, but I think I recognize him, Alto. What’s his name?”
“No one knows his name and those who do respectfully don’t say it.”
“Why’s that?”
“He’s one of the old mayors from the city. Once he realized how miserable he was making everyone, he quit his job. Someone found him in the streets and convinced him to help out here. He doesn’t use his old name because he’s ashamed of his past. Now he just wants to be called friend, neighbor, sir, and the like.”
“Oh. That’s why I recognize him. He’s a nice man.”
“Sure is. He’s one of our best leaders.”
At Alto’s home, his family greets Sonata and welcomes her into their home. The house is small and is no bigger than a few small rooms. There’s a dining room, living room, bedroom, and bathroom that are only a few feet away from each other.
After talking for a bit, Alto’s mom says, “We have your bedclothes ready for you. Alto got these ready for if you decided to come here.”
“I, uh, yeah,” Alto says.
“Haha, thank you,” Sonata says with a smile.
Sonata gets dressed into a handmade yellow nightgown.
“Do you like it?”
“I love it.”
“Good because I had the rest of your clothes made in the same color since I only saw you wear gold and yellow colors. Is that okay with you?”
“I’m okay with it. You really had all these clothes made for me in advance?”
“I had a feeling that you come here. Some people thought I was crazy or creepy for doing this for you so far in advance. You don’t think it’s weird, do you?”
“No, I don’t. I think it’s sweet.”
“Heh, I’m glad.”
When Alto and Sonata go to bed, they are put together since there is only one singular bedroom that everyone sleeps in. Alto’s brothers and sisters whisper and giggle to themselves as they talk about them.
“What are they talking about?” Sonata whispers to Alto.
“They’re probably being immature,” Alto whispers back.
“Oh.”
“They like you if you’re thinking about that.”
“I know that. They kept giving me stuff to sign and wouldn’t stop asking me questions and to sing another song.”
“I’m sure you’re used to it being a famous singer.”
“Not really. Back in the city, people had to form a line and politely give me something to sign, say thank you, then leave. I never got to talk to my fans like this. It’s overwhelming, but there’s something about it that I like.”
“I’m glad you do because it’s going to be like that for a while before they get used to you.”
“Haha, I’ll probably miss it when they stop.”
“Okay, well God bless and goodnight.”
“Night.”

No comments:

Post a Comment