Sunday, February 4, 2018

The Monster and His Mistress Children of God Part II

After sailing for a while, the couple stops at a port town that takes care of the innocent people that were taken prisoner in Ponza. The people talk about Mao being turned into an angel and the demons it commanded to save them. Before anyone could talk to them, Mao and Bella left the town and are on their way to wherever they’re guided.
“Why do you think we were lead to that location? Besides the obvious,” Bella asks.
“I guess it’s because we’re stronger and wiser than before. Strong challenges for strong people,” Mao says.
“I only wish we saw nicer people before we did.”
“We freed dozens of good people.”
“I know. I just have to remember to remember that.”
“Remember that you’re the reason someone as awful as I changed to who I am now. You can do anything Bella. I know you can.”
Bella kisses and hugs Mao.
“Are you feeling okay Bella?”
“Yeah. It’s just that…This situation takes a lot out of me.”
“Let me carry you.”
“Thank you.”
Mao carries Bella on his back as they move forward. Within minutes, Bella falls asleep on him.
He thinks to himself, “Bella is acting weird. I wonder what I can do to help. Also, what’s getting to her? She’s usually full of energy and spirit.”
A traveling merchant eventually comes across them and ask, “Do you kids need help getting anywhere?”
Mao answers, “Can you take us to the closest town or city?”
“I’m on my way to Cairo. Hop on. You can call me Franko.”
“My name is Mao, and this is Bella. It’s nice to meet you.”
Mao moves Bella to his lap. She is still sleeping despite resting on the ship and on Mao.
“Mind if I ask why you’re carrying your girlfriend across these lands?”
“She’s exhausted from helping people. She’s been doing it for years without much rest.”
“You two are traveling angels or something?” the merchant jokes.
“You could say that.”
“Well thank God we’re having nice weather. There’s also the cloud in the sky that seems to be following us. Not many people walk long distances in this land because of the hot weather.”
Mao looks up at the cloud and realizes that the cloud has been following them during their entire journey. Whenever they needed direction, Mao and Bella followed the shade of the clouds during the day and rested when the clouds didn’t move. He feels somewhat embarrassed and judged because he knows who’s always watching.
“Are you two here to help the situation in Cairo by any chance or do you just offer general help?”
“Both, but we prioritize larger problems first.”
“Cairo is in a state of decay because of a parasitic group of people that have entered it. We call them the Forsaken. They seemed like good people at first, but they keep lowering the city’s need to defend themselves, which has resulted in an increase in crime. They’ve even been raided a couple times and just gave the scum what they wanted.”
“I see. I’m not sure what we can do, but I might when we get there.”
“Any help is appreciated especially with us merchants. This situation has severally hit us. We might need to move everything we have elsewhere to survive.”
“Interesting. If you don’t mind, can you bring us to your place, so my girlfriend can fully recover? I don’t want to make her work as soon as she wakes up.”
“Oh of course.”
Approaching the city of Cairo, Mao watches the streets instead of looking at the impressive Egyptian architecture. People roam the streets with a sense of unease. Propaganda fills the walls and markets with sayings of how the Forsaken should be treated with honor and respect. There are even flyers that say a member of the Forsaken is trying to get into a position of political power. Mao and Bella have been given the ability to read, understand, and speak all the languages of man, which Mao now realizes. Since Bella hasn’t woken up yet, Mao and the merchant take her to the merchant’s house so Bella can rest in a proper bed.
Mao looks out the window and listens to the conflict happening in the city. He looks back at Bella while thinking about what she would do.
“Franko, can you take care of Bella for me while I head out?”
“My wife has experience in medication and taking care of others, so she’s in good hands. I’ll go out there with you.”
“You can stay here. I can handle this on my own. In a manner of speaking.”
“In a manner of speaking? What makes you think you can go out by yourself young man?”
“I’m on a mission from God,” Mao says with a reassuring smile.
Franko and his family who heard Mao are astonished by what he said. Mao walks out of their house and into the streets of Cairo with the confidence that this is what Bella would want him to do. During his walk-through town, he finds several people getting arrested. Overhearing what’s being said, he hears that these people are getting arrested for speaking out against the Forsaken. People around them talk about how doing that get you arrested or worse. With a view on the Forsaken from the people from this encounter and his entrance into the city, he goes to the part of town where the Forsaken live. They appear to be a relatively peaceful people. Their traditions and practices are gypsy-like, which is much different than the people of Cairo. Through his eavesdropping, he hears that these people want a place to live, respect, and help because of what they went through.
Mao talks to a nearby Forsaken member who appears to know what’s going on. He says, “What exactly happened to you people?”
The man responds, “We were forced out of our nation because of our peaceful ways.”
“What do you mean?”
“You’d help a person that asked for it, wouldn’t you?”
“Yeah, of course.”
“That’s what we teach. To always give even when you have nothing. We use our poor status to gain sympathy from others.”
“But what about the people that have nothing to give but kindness?”
“Everyone can always give something. We wish to implement a system in which everyone gets what they need. The people that have too much are forced to give what they have until they have as much as everyone else.”
“Forced to give? That’s stealing from them!”
“People should be more charitable to others.”
“You can’t teach that through force. They’ll just hate you and the people they give to.”
“We’ll weed out the bad ones. I’m sure everyone else will see the light as people are prone to do good actions.”
Feeling he has all the facts, he transforms into his angel form and enacts judgment up on the Forsaken. The shadows reach out and take away the Forsaken while no one’s looking. People who were silenced or imprisoned for speaking out against them are set free while the people that silenced them are taken into the shadows as well. Those in power who let others walk all over them are taken to the same place as the others. Everyone who is left in Cairo is curious as to what happened but are nevertheless relieved. Bella finally wakes up with Mao at her side.
“Good afternoon beautiful,” Mao says before kissing Bella’s face.
“Did I miss anything?” she asks while being a bit drowsy.
“No, you didn’t. We’re in Cairo now. I hear they have great shops here. Want to check them out?”
“Yes, but you’re buying whatever I want.”
“I can handle that,” Franko says.
“Who are you?”
“Franko, a friend,” Mao says.
“Your boyfriend is an amazing person. Cleaned this town up in only a few short hours.”
“What?”
Mao had told Franko and his family what he did but told them to keep it secret until he and Bella leave so they can enjoy and leave the city without trouble.
“Allow me and my family to treat you to dinner and whatever you like.”
“Thank you. I appreciate what you’re doing.”
Bella pulls Mao closer to her.
“Can you tell me what you did without me knowing?”
“O-of course. I helped these people get rid of a group of people that were leaching off them. Fake victims are what they were.”
“And you didn’t feel any sympathy for them?”
“Obviously. I can’t stand people that pretend to be good.”
“This would’ve been more difficult if I had to decide.”
“Maybe that’s why you fell asleep. God put you to rest because he knew I wouldn’t hesitate to do what was needed.”
“You’re a more useful person than me in making good moral choices? You really have changed for the better.”
“I guess so. You want to let go now? I’m sure you’ll love the city.”

Bella and Mao are given gifts and dinner by Franko and his family. During the night they leave, Franko buys them a horse for them to ride with ease to their next destination. Mao wanted a horse that looked like it went through battles, but Bella overruled him, and they got an elegant white horse. After that day, Frank and his family told everyone in Cairo what Mao had done. On the day after that, news reaches Cairo and several other city and towns that a group of exiles wanders the lands. They seek help, but no one gives them it since they are followed by a plague of insects and rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment