Monday, November 27, 2023

Exorcism of the Hollow: The Good Traitor: Chapter 3 – Exorcising False Gods

Chapter 3 – Exorcising False Gods

The statue brings me back inside the basilica and to the front of the altar. With a single wave of its hand, a hidden door on the floor moves aside to reveal a staircase that leads into the darkness. It then points down and I follow its instructions. As I descend further and further down the seemingly never-ending staircase, I think that it actually won’t end until I reach the bottom where there’s nothing but dead grass and dirt. There doesn’t seem to be anything here to build a legacy on other than it being a secret place.

A light suddenly appears in the dark and approaches me and I’m surprised to see that the source of the light is the statue of Christ with a lion and unicorn behind him. My legs can’t help but feel weak as I fall to my knees at this glorious sight.

“My Lord,” I say.

“It is, I, Braxton. I am glad that you recognize Me after serving that false version of Myself,” the statue says.

Hearing this makes me unsure of what to say or do. Is this a false Christ in front of me or were my original assumptions about the living broken statue, correct?

The statue continues by saying, “I understand and I will not rub your face into your failures like that false Christ did. Instead, I will only allow you to save your empire and serve me as the king you are meant to be.”

“So…I was never wrong? Going back and forth between thinking I was and was not is too jarring for me.”

“I know it is, but I know that you’ll come through. Remove all traces of falsehood from your mind and come back to Me, King Braxton. The fact that you’re constantly fought over by me and demonic forces is proof of your infinite worth. Bring the world under the grasp of the British Empire and make it holy.”

I’m at the crossroads again and don’t know what to do. Do I go back to the Christ that affirms everything I believe or do I stay with the one that seems to be correcting me for my mistakes? You know what? Today’s events have reminded me that I should rely on God more than myself, so while on my knees, I pray to God to give me the right answer and direct my actions and thoughts according to His will. This action sends a shockwave of light from me that lights up the entire area and reveals the Christ in front of me as an imposter. It now has only half of Christ’s face and its feeble, hollow body is only half covered by a golden cape. The rest of it wears a black crown on its head and its back has only one set of shriveled wings on it.

“You traitor! How dare you distrust your god!” the pathetic-looking thing says, “I’ll give you one more opportunity. Accept my help and your legacy will be great.”

“It’s funny that you mention that I’m a traitor. So far, in the span of a day, I’ve fundamentally betrayed everything I’ve stood for, everyone who’s helped me, and even the ‘god’ I worshipped, but if God says to do so, then I’ll gladly take the title of traitor.”

Enraged by my answer, the false Christ yells while flying at me. Taking out my spear, I pierce its hollow heart and can feel a hole that I didn’t know I had in my chest fill as the false Christ is banished along with its unicorn and lion and the area around me comes to life with green grass. Behind me, the once-broken statue of Christ appears in a restored state to me and takes off its veil to reveal the gentle, merciful, and smiling face of my Lord.

I kneel on both knees and say, “My Lord. What are Your orders?”

“Use the land before you to grow the community of exorcists to cleanse the world of demons. I will change this world according to your needs to have farmlands, rivers, lakes, mountains, and expand its lengths if need be,” the Lord says.

“How will I go about growing the community?”

“Besides you, I have blessed many people with the abilities of an exorcist who will be drawn to coming here, some of whom are almost here. Also, a child of an exorcist will inherit their parent’s blessing, so your ranks will grow in that way as well.”

“I understand. Thank You for everything.”

“As for the final order that I have for you, for now, continue growing closer to Me, My good servant.”

The statue of Christ disappears into the sun of this underground sky leaving me with a feeling of hopefulness in his heart. In the same sky, I see five people walking down the many stairs from the entrance. One is a priest, a farmer with a cow and dog, a soldier, a nun, and a woman all of whom wear the garbs and masks of an exorcist like me. They are all surprised to see that I, of all people, have been chosen as an exorcist and the leader of them and have many questions all of which I am glad to answer. In this new beginning given to me by God, my past is buried and gone, but my future is bright and looking to be a hopeful one because a traitor to his God like me was able to be brought back and called a good servant.


The End

No comments:

Post a Comment