Thursday, June 3, 2021

Soulless and Hellbound: Chapter 1 – Back from the Depths

Chapter 1 – Back from the Depths

There was no greater threat on the ocean than I Procella, the Queen of the Sea, and there never will be any queen greater than I. I forged my crown with blood and fire. My wealth was made by taking it from the most powerful kings and queens. No one could defeat my fleet of ships. Not the mythical beasts of the sea nor the armies of the kingdoms that I fought. I am not entirely without mercy despite my violent nature. I won’t plunder, burn, or kill if I’m paid and my demands are met. The Church and other kingdoms do the same, so what does it matter if I do the same?

The only real defeat I’ve had was at the hands of Tenebris the Tender of the Flame of Cognizance when I went to take the Flame for myself because what greater treasure is there than to have power over man’s sense of good and evil? Everything was going well until I faced him by myself. He didn’t say a word despite the many things I said to him to get him off his guard. I’ll never forget that stoic look on his face. He defeated me and the forces I had with me when he used the Flame of Cognizance against us. Tenebris then used the Flame to see into our souls to judge us and give us our punishment.

Some of my crew were executed while the rest were given life sentences of servitude for the kingdoms we raided. I, on the other hand, was given special treatment by having a holy sword thrust into my chest as I was thrown into the bottom of the sea. They knew that I can’t easily die because I use the black flame, the power of the human soul, raw humanity to become nearly immortal. The holy sword has pinned me here for who knows how long, but those fools should’ve known that the power of the black flame should not be underestimated. When the black sun, the moon, shows its dark side and envelops the areas that it shadows, the black flame in the souls of all humanity is at its most powerful. This day finally comes and thanks to the black flame, the holy sword is corrupted. After wading through the water, I come to the shore and puke out buckets and buckets of water. It’s an unpleasant feeling, to say the least, but nothing compared to the exhilaration I feel from being free from my watery prison.

“I live again!” I yell at the world, “The Queen of the Sea has risen. There’s nothing you can do to stop me! The world will be mine! Hahaha!”

If my memory is correct, there should be a shipyard around here. Sure enough, I find it, but my ship is nowhere to be seen. Maybe they gave it to Tenebris or some kingdom to show off in a museum. They better not be using her or have destroyed her! Well, I guess it’s time to make my triumphant return.

“Make way! The Queen of the Sea, Procella, enters your presence!” I say to get everyone’s attention.

They scatter and scream in fear with few being so afraid that they are frozen in place.

“Boo!” I say to get them going.

I then get on one of the ships and tell its crew to take me to where my old crew should be. The ship’s crew are too afraid to disagree with me, so they agree and then leave the ship once we get to our destination and spread the news of my return. Using this as a distraction, I find my way to the prison and then blow my way through with my black flames.

Entering the prison, I say, “I’ve returned from the sea. It is time to retake what is mine, what is ours. Come with me my crewmates and those who want glory and treasure! Together, we’ll put fear and respect back into the hearts of everyone we come across and take the world for ourselves!”

…huh. No one looks excited to join me. I approach one of my most loyal crewmates, and it looks like she wanted to leave without me noticing.

“I assume that you are trying to come to me because it’d be foolish of you to walk away,” I say to her.

“I…I have some other jobs waiting for me, boss. Sorry,” she says.

“That was a terrible lie, and you know the price of lying to me. Tell me why you aren’t joining me or else.”

“Because…because we were defeated when I thought that we were invincible. That black flame of yours is useless against those blessed by the Flame of Cognizance.”

“What are you talking about? The black flame is how I got out of my watery prison.”

“It’s only because the black sun is showing its dark side today. You’ll be powerful for the night, but that’s it and the Flame of Cognizance is still more powerful.”

“We’ve beat people who wielded it before.”

“Only because we broke their faith.”

“Thanks to the power of the black flame.”

“But no one can use the black flame like you can because we aren’t as sinful as you.”

“We can change that.”

“It’s not going to be worth it. Our impact on the world is gone in the five months that you were in the sea. It was all for nothing.”

“How dare you say that! How dare you have such little faith in me! What about the rest of you? Will you not join me?”

Everyone I can see walks away and a few even run. More people including my old crew are leaving if they already haven’t left when I wasn’t paying attention. I will not forgive them for this insult!

“If you won’t join me, then you can all burn!” I say as I envelop the prison in black flames.

I then burn the rest of the surrounding area with flames to the point where my flames start to freeze everyone and everything it touches. This is something that the Flame of Cognizance can’t do and this is what the black flame is supposed to do at full power. My flames can burn and freeze now, so I won’t need anyone’s help in taking back the world.

“Hear me, you fools! Tonight marks my glorious return, so tremble in fear. Get on your knees and witness the return of the Queen of the Sea as I take back what is rightfully mine in a single night.”

I laugh as I reach up to the moon with both my hands and grip my hands around it as if taking it out of the sky as my black flames grow. Using these flames, I create a ship of black flames with a crew of creatures made of the same flame. The Flame of Cognizance may be the original flame that takes its power from God, but those who wield it aren’t able to do anything unless God wills it. I am not restrained by such rules when the black flame is at its peak. With this power, I can do anything I want, take anything I want, destroy anything I want. Watch out, you who doubted me. I’m coming for you first.

No comments:

Post a Comment