Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Crow and the Mouse: Chapter 3 – A Predator and the One He Protects

 Chapter 3 – A Predator and the One He Protects

On their long trip to the Pillar of Genus, Harkan and Mouse stop to eat what they took from the town of cultists. They say grace and thank God for the food and pray that the food isn’t cursed in any way before eating. Curious about something Harkan said before, Mouse gets Harkan’s attention.

“What is it?” he asks.

Mouse points at her mouse’s crow and points back to him.

“Oh, yes, I was a king before, but the way I became king wasn’t through the usual way. I wasn’t born royalty or elected. Instead, I became king by getting rid of the corrupt people in power. The same people who got my family and friends killed. From there, I ruled until the same people who helped me take the throne tried to kill me probably because I wasn’t doing what they wanted me to do. To be honest, the role of being king was getting boring and life was feeling meaningless without those I loved next to me.”

Knowing what he feels, Mouse hugs Harkan and tries to convey that she knows what he’s going through by pointing at her, her mouse, and Harkan while making various gestures.

“I don’t understand what you’re trying to tell me. Why don’t you speak, instead? I’ve done enough to earn your trust, haven’t I?”

She considers it for a second before Mouse points at Harkan and her while saying, “Same. We’re the same.”

“The same? How are we the same?”

“Family. Royalty. People tried killing us.”

“We’re not as similar as you think. My family dying made me into a monster who killed foes of my kingdom to fill the hole left by them. I’m nothing like a princess such as yourself.”

“Still…I understand.”

Mouse hugs Harkan. For a moment, he thinks that she might be one of the children that he orphaned through his past deeds, but he tosses these thoughts aside.

“Come on. There’s no point in remembering the past. I should know the consequences of doing so. Together, we’ll make a better life for ourselves, and you’ll get the life you deserve, Princess Mouse.”

“Mmm. Let’s.”

Harkan and Mouse continue to travel until they come across a small town where they rest again.

“I don’t know how you survived so long in this wasteland, princess. With its beasts, uncomfortable weather, and freezing and burning black flames, it’s a wonder as to why anyone would want to live out here,” Harkan says.

“Dad taught me how to survive. Also, safer because of assassins and politics,” Mouse says.

“I can’t argue with you there. Still, it’s no place for a child to be. How come your dad taught you how to survive?”

“Assassins, war, and learning how to take care of myself.”

“I tried teaching my children and wife how to fight for the same reasons, but I don’t think it made a difference.”

“Don’t be sad. Remember what you said?”

“Ah, I’m sorry. I’ve already forgotten. I’ll try to keep it out of my head better next time.”

People around the town begin using their black flames as they try to increase their power in private, but the freezing effects of the dark flame are felt and seen by Harkan.

“It feels like it’s time to go.”

Mouse nods before they get back on their steed only for their steed to be killed by an assassin raggedy robed in black that cuts the steed’s throat when Harkan and Mouse were passing by them. Harkan grabs Mouse and shields her with his body as more assassins converge on them and try to quickly end their lives. His armor is able to deflect his enemies’ attacks though he still feels the pain of being beaten and slashed at.

“It’s going to be okay, princess. I’ll get us out of this,” Harkan says to comfort Mouse.

Seeing that there’s no easy way to get away from his pursuers, he lets go of Mouse and creates an opening for her by swinging his mace around to kill his pursuers.

“Run as fast as you can and hide. I’ll take care of the rest of them.”

“O-okay.”

Harkan smacks away Mouse’s pursuers so that they can focus on him as he says, “Are you so weak that you have to chase after the girl? Face me, cowards!”

A group of six assassins surrounds Harkan as they look for the cracks in his armor while Harkan readies himself to swing his mace.

“How can we be cowards when we face the Sovereign Killer himself?” one of the assassins says.

“Why are you after the girl and me? You have our kingdom all to yourself to do with as you please. Leave us alone!”

“The population knows of the attempted assassination on your life and that your body was never found. They want to rally against us so we must bring back a corpse to show the folly of rising against us when they should be supporting us.”

“Why would they support you?”

“To gain more power and respect for our home. Have you forgotten already? Our homes and families were the joke of other kingdoms because of our corrupt leaders. It’s about time that we earned some respect.”

“Does it have to be at the cost of so many lives?”

“You should know the answer to that. You dethroned so many kings and queens that it isn’t a surprise that you forgot that girl you’re protecting is the daughter of a king and queen you killed.”

Harkan struggles to accept this despite having a feeling that it was true.

“Even if that is true, why kill her when her kingdom is nothing but dust and memories?”

“To show the world that we never forget or forgive those who trespass against us. Did you also forget that her kingdom’s forces were the ones who killed your family?”

“Enough with your lies!”

Harkan charges at the assassins and tackles one into a tree to knock him out for a second. He takes the brunt of the attack from the other assassins so that he has an opening that he uses to kill two of them with a swing of his mace. Another assassin uses this opportunity and cuts Harkan in an exposed spot of his armor, but the blade doesn’t pierce his skin. This failed stab results in the assassin being elbowed then crushed by Harkan’s mace. The remaining two assassins back off and reassess their plan.

One of them says, “There’s the Sovereign Killer we know. An unstoppable force of nature, a crow of death, and the king of king killers. Do you plan to atone for your actions by taking care of the girl? Is she a replacement for the children that you lost?”

“I plan to give her a home and a better life than the one she is living out here in this wasteland,” Harkan responds.

“That’s not going to be likely. While we were fighting, we had two others go after her. It’s only a matter of time before they bring us back her head.”

Shocked by this, Harkan immediately starts running in the direction of Mouse while fending off the other two assassins.

“Princess!” he screams.

The ground starts rumbling, which stops both Harkan and the assassins from moving. Both are confused as to what is causing this. Their question is quickly answered as Mouse is running from a stampede of horses that have horns and the stingers of scorpions. The assassins that went after Mouse are trampled to death by the horses as their speed makes them nearly impossible to run from. Harkan runs to meet Mouse and smashes a path through the horses with his mace until there are no more. Now that their pursuers are dead, Harkan makes sure that Mouse doesn’t have any marks on her as they take a moment to rest.

“Are you okay, princess? Are you hurt?” he asks.

“No,” she answers.

“That’s good. That’s good. I’m sorry that this happened. Those people were from my own kingdom that tried to kill me.”

“It’s okay.”

A concerned look on Mouse’s face concerns Harkan.

“What is it, princess? Is something the matter?”

“N-no. Let’s just go.”

“Okay. I hope we can find another steed because according to this map we still have a fair way to go until we reach our destination.” When Harkan lowers the map, he sees that Mouse has already started walking. “Don’t run ahead of me, princess! It’s too dangerous.”

“The horses went this way.”

“If you think it’s best to use them, then I guess we should, but stay close to me.”

“I’m okay.”

Confused by Mouse’s behavior, Harkan thinks that she is just shaken by the recent battle, however, a suspicious feeling tells him that Mouse was told that Harkan is her parents’ killer by the assassins when she was separated from him, but he keeps this suspicion aside even though his hunches have been proven true so far. Mouse and Harkan track the horses back to the town they were in and find that it has been ruined by the beasts. They find a singular horse roaming around that has had its tail cut off and a loose muzzle around its mouth as if someone tried to tame it. Harkan takes advantage of this and tames the horse himself before allowing Mouse on it and riding off with her. As they ride, he feels that she is hardly holding onto him unlike before as if she is hesitant about it.

“Hold on tight,” he says.

Mouse does as Harkan says. He continues to travel with her with the worries of future dangers and what could be affecting Mouse in his mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment