Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Becoming More Human: Chapter 4 – Hitting Rock Bottom

Chapter 4 – Hitting Rock Bottom

Antonietta continues to sleep on Joseph’s shoulder even as he tries to wake her up when they arrive at their destination. They get out of the car and once Antonietta remembers what they’re doing, she immediately snaps out of her daze and walks into the front door of the factory only to be hit by a rocket blast that sends Joseph flying back.

“Antonietta!” he screams as he looks at the fires of the explosion.

He sees a figure rise out of the flames. This figure is Antonietta without her skin. Her entire skeletal structure is cybernetic as if she was a robot in human skin. Antonietta looks forward then at Joseph who she knows is looking at her. She then tries to see who attacked her and is shot in the head resulting in her head coming off. Her attackers then shoot the rest of her limbs off and keep shooting her body. Joseph runs towards Antonietta’s torso and covers it with his own body resulting in him being grazed by a few shots.

“She’s nothing but a torso now! Can’t you leave me just that?!” Joseph yells out to his attackers.

A group of mechanics comes out heavily armed with the two arms on their backs putting away their weapons. One of the mechanics steps forward and spits on the ground.

“I guess she’s no longer a threat without her head. The programs she had and her connection to her bank account is gone with it,” the mechanic says. Joseph stares at the workers silently trying to control his anger. “What? Did our ambush surprise you that much? You didn’t think that a revolution of workers was just confined to Tau Enterprise, did you? No, it’s spread across all companies including the taxi company that drove you here. You can join us, you know? I’m sure you’d be glad to off that woman’s leash.”

“She’s…she’s still special to me. I can’t abandon her even like this.”

“I respect your dedication to your girl. The next World Enterprise War is starting, but this time, the workers will come out on top. They will realize that we’re the primary driving force being every company. They’ll know that there are more mechanics than managers. More slaves than masters. Think about what you could do with us.”

“No, I refuse because you’re just like them. Another force that wants to mold the world to your own vision of what it should be.”

“Think what you want to think man. I hope you live a happy life with your torso girlfriend.”

Joseph takes Antonietta’s torso and runs off to a safe location where he thinks that no one will bother with him.

“I’m so sorry, Antonietta,” he says to her with tears in his eyes, “I wish I could’ve done something to help you.”

“You…couldn’t have. Don’t worry about it…” a voice says from Antonietta's torso. Joseph looks at the torso to see two pinkish eyes open on the chest. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about this secret earlier.”

“Don’t be. How are you still alive?”

“Thanks to the blessing of modern technology. All my vital organs are in my body. I can even move around if I want.”

Spider-like legs come out from the side of Antonietta’s torso.

“Wow. I’m surprised if anything can kill you at this point. Do I have the same thing implanted in me?”

“I made sure you do. I wouldn’t want to lose you so sorry for keeping that from you as well.”

“Well, what do we do now?”

“My parents knew a mechanic that should be able to put me back together.”

“Can we trust him?”

“I think so. He’s loyal to my parents for bringing him out of poverty.”

“Okay, let’s hope he still remembers what they did for him.”

Joseph brings Antonietta to the mechanic and he immediately takes care of her. The repairs happen for three days until Antonietta gets her arms, legs, head, and human skin on her body again. She rests on a bed while watching the news with Joseph. The reporter on the news talks about a working rebellion happening across all businesses and most companies labeling them as terrorists because of the destruction being caused both economically and literally with offices being destroyed.

“It’s a good thing that we don’t have to worry about that anymore,” Joseph says.

“Yeah, but I still failed my parents,” Antonietta says while considering what to do.

“No, you didn’t,” the mechanic as he goes through his folders to give Antonietta a letter, “This is a letter that your parents gave to me just in case you ended up in this situation. They were kind of hoping that you would fail so you could live a simpler life instead of the business and political world that’s rampant with corruption.”

“I see now. Thank you for giving this to me. Where do you think we could live a simpler life?”

“You could go out to the countryside where the worldwide companies don’t really bother anyone as long as they get their food and supplies.”

“Wait, we? You want me to come with you?” Joseph asks.

“Of course. What would I do without my personal assistant?”

“He’s more than that to you, Antonietta, admit it. I’ve seen the way you two act when you’re together. It reminds me of how your mother used to act around your father.”

Antonietta and Joseph blush until they see the mechanic with a ring in his hand.

Antonietta takes the ring and says, “This is nonna’s old wedding ring. Mom used to say that she wanted me to wear it when I get married.”

“I went to your parent’s house to get it. Well? What do you think, Joseph?” the mechanic asks.

Taking the ring, Antonietta asks on one knee, “Will you marry me?”

“Um, he’s supposed to propose to you. Not the other way around.”

“Oh, uh. I knew that! It’s just uh…”

Joseph takes the ring, gets on one knee, and asks, “Heh, will you marry me?”

“I-I do!”

Antonietta kisses Joseph. They then arrange for a wedding in the countryside at a Catholic church. After the wedding, the mechanic calls his friends in the countryside to get them a job and recommends them a place to live. Joseph buys a cottage and once they get settled in, they sit on the porch holding each other as they look out at the natural beauty of the countryside untouched by humanity.

“I think you were right when you said that God wanted me out of power and where I was because this is so much better. I used to have godlike control over the world and now I’m more human so to speak. I have to say that less is truly more,” Antonietta says.

“Isn’t it? I could get used to living here like this.”

“Our house could use more pink and dark pink in it though.”

“I know it’s your favorite color but come on. We can’t have everything in pink.”

“Yes, we can. I’ll even get you dark pink clothes.”

“Why dark pink?”

“Because dark pink is manlier.”

“Haha, if you say so.”

Antonietta and Joseph continue to hold each other as they enjoy nature’s beauty and each other’s company in the morning sun.

 

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment