Thursday, September 17, 2020

Sheep in Wolf's Clothing: Chapter 1 – Piety in an Unlikely Place

 

Chapter 1 – Piety in an Unlikely Place

“I’m sure this will be enough to pay for your cooperation, Mr. Wyatt.”

Not really, but what choice do I really have?

“Yes.”

“Thank you for your compliance. Have some time off while you’re at it. You seem to be shaken.”

“Thank you. You’re too kind.”

“You’re welcome. Go and be perfect.”

“I strive for it every day.”

Or at least I try to, especially in front of people like this. Working down in the mines day in and day out is supposed to help me achieve perfection with how taxing and humbling it can be. It’s a low paying job with the highest reward being the sweat and tears that are meant to cleanse our souls. I like most others believe in the God we worship, but the Pious pride themselves on their perfection that they say they’ve earned from Him. The Pious live in their city that some believe to literally be made of gold because of how it looks and the gold mines beneath them.

Those who aren’t Pious live outside of the bright city and in less than ideal conditions let’s say so that we may be humbled and perfected through it. The mines that I work under hold treasures of all kinds that my city runs on. If we find something rare, like diamond or gold we’re allowed access into the city to work as a maid or cleaner for the Pious. Nothing too good, but probably better than what we have now. If you really want to be among the elite, you need to be “perfect”. This means hardly sinning or rather hardly going to confession.

The less you go to confession, the closer you are to a promotion. The fewer people know of your sins, the more attention you get from the Pious, and more likely you are to get a better job from them. This is why I was paid and given time off. They don’t want me reporting the dead body I walked over and dug up to the higher-ups. I don’t know who the body belongs to nor do I want to know because I either accepted their offer or I would end up as one. The only way justice can happen for the deceased is for God to answer my prayers, and He seems to be either waiting for the right moment or denying my prayers as of late.

The typical penance for a person that gets caught sinning or confess a particularly bad mortal sin is to publicly pray in itchy clothing, naked, or while being flogged.  Sometimes you are required to be your boss’s slave for a period of time. I’ve heard rumors of the sinful things that the bosses make their slaves do in private. Should the slaves refuse to do every command of their boss then it’s likely that they’ll end up like the body I found. It makes sense considering the number of slaves in the mine. The body could belong to a slave who died from exhaustion and the boss hid their body to hide her mistake to get closer to her promotion.

This whole system makes me sick to my stomach. To get around it, a lot of people and I don’t confess our venial sins even though it would spiritually help us. I’m sure there are people that make excuses for their more serious sins just so they can make more money. It wouldn’t surprise me if certain priests and the higher-ranking officials in the priesthood frame the sins of one person on another, especially since there are priests who will break the seal of confession for profit and promotion. The Pious control everything and there are very few of them that I consider to be good people who are trying to weed out the bad. Because of this, I have to take justice into my own hands.

Today is one of my few days off, so I take advantage of it by going to one of the many propaganda stations that the Pious use to spread their messages and teachings. To sabotage it, I’ve taken the tools I have from the mine, rework the wiring, and once they activate it, it blows up and falls onto a row of their parked cars. The Pious have many other stations like this, but at least it’s good not hearing their constant messages in one part of the city. After, I tear down some of the Pious posters and destroy and vandalize their art. These things may be made well though they’re an eyesore to me.

While doing my part to clean up the city, I hear something behind me. There shouldn’t be anyone in this area at work time, so maybe it’s just my imagination. The authorities that go through these areas don’t always come this way because of how “dirty” it is. They won’t always get people to replace and clean their propaganda because of this. Again, I hear a noise. To be safe, I check around the area then hear another noise. There’s no one here. I don’t even see anything on the ground that could’ve dropped that made the noise. The buildings around this area are falling apart so I would expect to see a part of them on the ground. Huh?! Someone tapped my shoulder from behind.

“Ye-!” I say before seeing who it is and falling down.

It’s a sinner that’s been locked up because of his horrible crimes. I know it’s one of them because of his scary-looking clown mask, the black hole in his cracked chest, and his boots that have gold dust on them. These kinds of sinners are slaves in the gold mines to work for the Pious. I’ve heard that working in the gold mines is worse than working in the normal ones. This sinner is staring me down…while holding out his hand?

“Come with me, if you really want to make a difference,” he says in a deep voice.

“What? Why should I trust you when your sins have made you look like a monster? I know what you are, and I should report you to be rearrested!”

“You know that wouldn’t be the right thing to do.”

“Why do you think that?”

“Because I’ve been watching you all day tear about the propaganda of the Pious. You know that these perfectionists don’t have the best intentions nor God’s will in their hearts, but you’re going about it the wrong way.”

“How? They feel the hurt that I put on them. This isn’t the only time that I’ve done this and there’s more that I’ve done besides destroy a tower and rip apart posters and deface statues.”

“They may feel the hurt, but you make the others below them clean up your mess. I’m sure you’ve been forced to clean up your own messes as well.”

“As long as they know that there are people out there who disapprove of their actions, it’s fine with me.”

“I’ve been down the same road you’re on. It’s not worth it.”

“What makes you think you know me?”

“I’ve worked in the mines before. I used to cause all kinds of mischief with my friends and family until we got caught. Some got executed. Others were given the same torturous treatment I was given, and now, none of them are alive. You know this to be true. You know that the Pious treat everyone unfairly for their own gain.”

“Okay, what do you suggest that we do?”

“First, take my hand and get off the floor.”

“Right.” I look at his hand for a second and consider again whether or not I should join him, but then again, having help is better than no help, so I take his hand and get off the ground. “Okay, so what are we going to do now?”

“We’re going to go join the others.”

“The others like me who are against the Pious?”

“In a way. They are others like me.”

“Other escaped sinners? This is going to be interesting.”

“I’m glad you think so.”

No comments:

Post a Comment