Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Saint Within the Sinner: Chapter 4 – Desperation and Renewal


Chapter 4 – Desperation and Renewal

Astra wakes up in a daze in a cell room with a bed and dresser. The room has a strong stink to it and appears to be a room a prostitute would live in. She sees that one of her arms is chained to the side of the wall and her clothes are torn to shreds. With her senses coming back to her, she sees that her legs and her left arm have been cut off and tattooed for demonic possession. All these things that she sees make her feel enraged, desperate, and distressed at the same time.

She bangs on the cell wall and writhes in the bed as she tries to escape somehow. After a few minutes of this futile escape attempt, the words for cursing her captors and Estella come to her mouth but are stopped as soon as Estella enters the room. Somewhat relieved by this, she ceases the thoughts to curse or hate anyone as Estella rushes to her side.

“Astra! Are you okay?” she asks.

“I don’t know. My body feels numb and my nerves feel unhinged. How did you get them to let you go?”

“I…I do what I had to.”

“…of course you did.”

“I’m sorry, but I had no other choice.”

“Of course you had a choice!”

“I know, but I was too weak to make it.”

“Then watch me make the right choice when they give it to me.”

“I don’t think they’ll let you.”

“What?”

“They might’ve already…umm.”

“What? What did they do to me that could be worse than all of this?”

“Don’t worry about that. What you need to worry about is what they’ll do after. Actually, no. Just worry about praying. I’ll try to do whatever I can to free you.”

“I’ve tried praying and this is where it led me.”

“Astra, don’t say that. You’re supposed to be a strong pious nun, right? That’s what I trained you to be.”

“And this is what it’s made us into! Maybe I should make the same decisions you did for both our sakes.”

“No, Astra! You have to choose to be better!”

“Shut up! What do you know about being better?!”

Demons start to manifest from the tattoos on Astra’s severed arm and legs. A giant demon head manifests from Astra’s arm while two demon mouths with blade-like tongues manifest from her legs. The demons whisper in her ear on what to do to obtain her freedom while complimenting her devotion to God and how holy she is.

“You have to stop now! Control yourself!”

“I know more about that you filthy whore!”

Astra uses the demon on her arm to free her other arm. She then smacks Estella against the wall with it and breaks open her cell door.

“Astra…wait…”

“I’ll show you true piety. I’ll become an even better person than you ever were by destroying every sinner in this Godforsaken place.”

As Astra heads off to kill everyone in the building, Estella struggles to get up.

“I’m sorry, God, for being such a failure of a teacher to Astra. Please, give me the strength to fix my wrongs and become the person I was meant to be.”

Estella’s prayer is answered almost immediately as her strength comes back to her. She gets up and goes to the place where they are keeping Astra’s crucifix dagger. Meanwhile, Astra slaughters everyone who she comes across, even the slaves who she deems too sinful to live. Estella tries to ignore the screams and sounds of fighting while going to the right room. There she finds the crucifix dagger.

“Are you sure you can do this?” a demon whispers in her ears.

“You are no longer Mother Superior,” another points out.

“God has long abandoned you to your pride and lust. Astra will turn into what you are,” yet another says.

“We’ll see about that,” Estella says as she stabs the crucifix dagger into her tattooed eye, stomach, and arms while saying an exorcism prayer.

This silences the voices of the demons and gives Estella some confidence.

“Thank you, God,” Estella says while crossing herself and heading in Astra’s direction.

Astra has left a massacre of torn bodies in her path with blood and body parts everywhere. Everything from pieces of the wall, ceiling, and furniture have been used to flatten, crush, and tear apart whoever Astra deemed to be a sinner. Eventually, Estella finds Astra in a room filled with chains and the bodies of her victims stomping a body into pulp.

“Astra!”

“You!” Astra says as she quickly turns around, “What do you want, ‘Mother Superior’?!”

“I want you to stop this! Don’t let your demons take advantage of your weakness.”

“I don’t have any weaknesses! I’m perfect the way I am!”

“Would a perfect person kill both the innocent and guilty? Look at what you’ve done.”

“Shut up! You’re just like them and you’ll end up the same!”

“God give me strength.”

Estella dodges Astra’s incoming attacks while chaining her neck and limbs with the chains in the room all the while loudly saying an exorcism prayer. She then uses the crucifix dagger on Astra’s arm demon then the two demons on her legs. Estella’s prayer and faith severally weaken the strength of the demons and this allows her to make them disappear and bring Astra to her senses.

“There we go. You should be back to normal for now,” Estella says while heavily breathing because of the fight.

Astra starts to sob and cry as she writhes in her chains. Estella hugs her to calm her down.

“I felt the same when it first happened to me too, Astra. I felt irredeemable and used every excuse I could to justify my actions. We’re both sinners who need to do a lot of penance for what we’ve done, and I’ll be with you it through it all. Trust in God and me. We’ll become saints together.”

Astra’s crying stops as she puts her head on Estella’s shoulder. Estella then frees Astra from her chains and carries her to the horse stables. From there, they leave the building and head in the direction of the nearest demon treatment facility. Thankfully, they come across a patrol of exorcists who guide them to the facility where they are treated. Over the next few days, they recover from their demonic possession and regain themselves and cleanse themselves of their sins.

On one morning, Astra uses her wheelchair made for her condition to visit Estella in her room. Estella has both of her arms in casts, patches on her stomach, and an eye patch for her eye.

“How are you doing, Mother Superior?” Astra asks.

“Haha, I’m doing fine. You don’t have to call me that, Astra. I don’t officially have that position in the Church anymore.”

“You can be if you come back to the convent.”

“That’s not going to happen for a while especially in our condition. Did they fix that eyeshadow problem you have?”

“Unfortunately, no. I guess I’ll have to carry this scar from my past for the rest of my life along with the rest of my scars. Did they fix your hair problem? It’s still pink.”

“I don’t know I think I like it this way. Haha!”

“You definitely aren’t coming back to the convent then.”

The two women laugh as they begin their day anew as they put their past behind them for a bright future that lays ahead of them.

 

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment