Sunday, May 31, 2020

Revenge First, Love Later: Chapter 2 – Hard to Work With

Chapter 2 – Hard to Work With
“Do you mind telling me where we’re going?” Rex asks.
“It’s a town that we’re probably not going to be noticed in. I’ve hardly spent any time here nor do they really know what they look like outside of paintings and drawings made by others, so we shouldn’t be noticed,” Juno says.
“So, it’s a ghetto?”
“No! No place in our kingdom is a ghetto unlike the places in your kingdom.”
“You’ve never stepped foot in our kingdom.”
“I’ve seen pictures of it.”
“Those pictures were propaganda. Some of our towns may not be as wealthy as others, but they are humble and do important work for the kingdom.”
“Then why are there so many poor people in it? What about the criminals that defect to our kingdom?”
“The Church handles the poor, our guards take care of the criminals, and our assassins get rid of traitors, but we can only do so much. I wish there was more we could do, especially to help those in need and those who believe in falsehoods. I’m sure you have similar problems in your kingdom.”
“We do. A lot of which was caused by you.”
“I can blame the same things on you, but we should save it for later. Is that the town up ahead?”
“It is.”
Juno and Rex cloak themselves as they enter the town.
“Many these people are humble farmers, merchants, and craftsmen who do hard work day in and out,” Juno says, “Some are even going to church before the sun even rises to give God His due honor. Can you really this a ghetto?”
“Can you say the same about the places in my kingdom that do the same?”
“I’d have to see it first.”
“Bet on it.”
“Sure. I’ll make that bet.”
“What are you betting?”
“My hand in marriage.”
“What?! That’s a terrible reward.”
“I don’t have anything besides that. Furthermore, I know you hate it. If you want to bet, then that’s what you’ll have to take. So, do you still want to make a bet?”
“…yes, I’ll make that bet just to spite you, but we have to bet on more to make it worth it.”
“Okay, however, for every time I’m you have to give me to make your life more hellish.”
“The same goes for you.”
“Deal.”
Juno and Rex approach the doors of a church and enter into it. A few people are praying in the pews, lighting candles, and praying in silence in the adoration chapel. A few priests are conversing with the people while a few others are making sure everything is clean and in order.
Juno walks up to one of the priests cleaning up the pews and says, “Father.”
“Hello, how are you doing? Is there something you…Princess Juno? Is that you?”
“Shh. Father, we don’t need the attention right now.”
“How are you alive?”
“Someone brought me and this turd back to life for whatever reason and we need to find out who.”
“Is this Prince Rex?”
“The prince title is overrated.”
Rex gives Juno a dirty look as she gives him a smug smile.
“You know you shouldn’t talk about him like that. I apologize on her behalf, Prince Rex.”
“Thank you, father. It’s good to know that there’s someone in this kingdom that knows to honor my title.”
“It’s sad that this unending war cost you both your lives and the lives of so many others.”
“Don’t you think that the Church should be on one side of the conflict rather than try to be on both? Surely one side is holier than the other?”
“No nation or kingdom is better than another since all are under God’s watch and control, especially since they aren’t submitted to God’s Church. They keep hating, killing, and lying about each other. That’s three mortal sins that will surely send anyone to Hell. It’s truly a blessing for both of you to be alive. Hopefully, the undead can receive forgiveness and do penance for their sins.”
“I’m sure we can. Do you remember the repentant sinners who came back to life to become saints in a single day?” Juno asks.
“I remember those stories. We have artifacts of those historical events in the capital.”
“I’m sure you know all about people coming back to life in our kingdom. That’s why we came to you. Maybe you know of some way to reverse our condition or direct us to someone who possibly knows more?”
“All the stories of sinners that came back to life did so during a battle or after some act of repentance on their deathbed. You didn’t come back during your last battle and you didn’t have time for a last act of repentance, so this is new to me. Maybe there’s something special that you’re both supposed to do together. Perhaps you both can end this long war between your kingdoms.”
“Yeah. Giorno will emerge victoriously.”
“No. Notte will.”
“I think both of you are wrong. Neither side will win. Instead, they will come to a truce. I don’t know how, but they will.”
Both Juno and Rex look at each other before they start to laugh.
“You laugh at me now, but just watch. You’ll be surprised at what happens.”
A bell in the town rings. Juno, Rex, and the priest rush to see what is happening to see the undead soldiers and horses that were chasing the two have tracked them down to the town. Along with the undead are undead bears and wolves.
“It looks like your animal pets are turning against you,” Rex says as he takes his sword out.
“I’ve tamed these animals before for our army. I can tame them as undead as well,” Juno says with her sword out.
Rex and Juno join the town’s guards to defend it while the civilians either get to safety or go to get their weapons to help. Whoever is struck down immediately comes back to life as an undead while the undead themselves are immune to all attacks as their cut off limbs crawl back into their place.
“Father! We’re going to need a better solution or the town is going to be overrun!” Juno says.
“I have an idea! Buy me time while I gather the other priests!” the priest says as he runs off.
As Juno and Rex protect the town with the aid of its civilians, Rex shields those he sees are about to be struck. He saves one person from a bear and gets his head decapitated as a result. Since he’s undead, he’s able to fight without his head and manages to fight off the bear as the civilians retreat. After picking up his head, he runs off to help a group of people getting attacked by wolves. He attacks the wolves to get their attention and leads them away from the group. The wolves catch up to him and pull him apart.
With his undead ability, Rex pulls himself together and fights the wolves off as Juno comes to help him.
“Don’t expect a thank you,” Rex says.
“Concentrate on the fight!” Juno yells.
The undead army forms back up as they continue their advance. Rex and Juno are about to be overwhelmed until the priests come praying an unsealing prayer that weakens the body of the undead until their bodies release their souls. The civilians and priests sigh in relief and cheer for their victory before they start to clean up the damage done by the undead. Since Rex and Juno are undead and don’t look the same as they were when they were alive, the civilians thank them without realizing who they are.
“Thank you, father,” Juno says to the priest the two were talking to before.
“No, thank you. We couldn’t have held out without you, especially you, Rex,” the priest says.
“What did I do that was special?” Rex asks.
“You risked your life for the civilians.”
“I’m undead so it’s not like I could die. Besides, this is what people from my kingdom are used to doing. Our saints don’t come back from the dead. They sacrifice their life for those they love just like our Lord.”
“Regardless, it was still a selfless act.”
“Yeah. Even I didn’t expect it. T-th-thank you, Rex,” Juno says.
“Now that’s shocking. You thanking me? Well, you’re welcome, princess.”
Juno cuts off Rex's head with her sword.
“I said to not call me princess!”
“Hahaha!”
“Juno!”
“Undead don’t feel pain, father. He’s fine.”
“Still. You should control yourself.”
“Hmph.”
Once Rex gets his head on his head, he says, “Okay, so what’s our next destination?”
“We should go to the capital. Since my body was stolen from my home, maybe we can find answers there.”
“Sounds like the place we should’ve gone first, but okay.”
“Be careful you two. Since our prayer released the undead from their bodies and not you, I think our enemy may be using demonic powers,” the priest says.
“Yes, father. Thank you for your help.”
“You’re welcome, Princess Juno. Please be safe and try not to fight and hate each other.”
“If you say so, father,” Juno replies.
“Yes, sir. I’ll make sure she behaves,” Rex says.
“Me? I have to make sure you’re behaving yourself!”
“Says the girl who cut my head off.”
“Call me princess again and I’ll do it again.”
“You’re just proving me right.”
Rex and Juno leave the town while arguing with each other as the priest crosses himself as he prays for their success.

No comments:

Post a Comment