Thursday, May 21, 2020

Freedom at What Cost: Chapter 4 – Consequences of “Rights”

Chapter 4 – Consequences of “Rights”
“Are you certain that all of these changes are going to be good for the Church and her planets?” a secretary asks Maiken in a call.
“Yes. We’ve come far since we started and if we think God will allow these laws into his Church, then they should be right and just.”
“If you say so. There have been many riots and protests ever since you gave the laity the right to vote. Because of the way the system works, certain planets have different laws such as having the right to enact vigilante justice, right to openly carry weapons, electing leaders of their planets that aren’t already politicians, -”
“I’ve already heard of the many changes the planets are making on a daily basis. A lot can happen in a year, especially during these changing times. Trust in God to give you peace during these turbulent times.”
“That’s what I’ve been doing. Maybe I should go for adoration more often to get the silence I need.”
“It’s a good idea. I’ve been doing that in my free time with my son.”
“I hope the Lord blesses him while in adoration. Infants in adoration can be particularly noisy.”
“Not my little man. He’s been silent and calm while I’m in adoration and it’s not because he falls asleep. He stays awake for the entire hour.”
“That’s amazing. He’s truly a blessing. Speaking about children, I have to get to my own. So, tomorrow we’ll be looking at the voting law again?”
“We’ll have to do some revisions again since the last revisions caused a lot of trouble.”
“When does change not bring trouble?”
“Someone is bound to hate us for the changes, so we just have to hope these will work. Maybe they’ll grow to like the changes.”
“I hope so. God bless you and have a good afternoon.”
“Same to you.”
Maiken hangs up the call and finishes organizing her paperwork and digital files before exiting her office. She goes to the place in the capital building where caretakers teach and care for the workers in the building only for an explosion to destroy the room as she enters it. The capital building is shaken by more explosions coming from within and outside the building as an unknown group of people assaults it. Guards in the capital mobilize while calling for reinforcements and medical assistance. In the chaos, Maiken manages to get up from the explosion and searches for her child only to find blood and small limbs in the wreckage of the room. She lets out a cry of sorrow and rage before going back to her office to get a weapon Seth gave her to defend herself with.
The weapon Seth gave her is a laser assault rifle similar to his own except this one has an underbarrel shotgun rather than a launcher. With the rifle in hand, Maiken goes out to face whoever blew up the building and her son.
She goes up to a guard and says, “Where is the enemy? Who is attacking us?”
“You have to get to safety, miss. This place isn’t safe for a politician like you, especially in your injured condi-”
“I don’t care! I have a rifle and I can help. I’m well within my right to defend myself, especially since they blew up the children.”
“They…I see. You can help, but don’t be reckless.”
“I won’t.”
“They’ve breached the other side! We need people covering it!” one of the guards yells.
Maiken rushes to the other side of the capital with the guard she was talking to and a couple others. On the other side of the building is a squad of people shooting whoever they come across. Maiken engages the squad and manages to kill the group with only one casualty on their side. With this part of the capital clear, they go back to the other side to see that the other guards have died with more enemies entering the capital and slaughtering the people in it.
“Kill them all! Spare no one!” Maiken commands the guards.
The guards do as she commands while she also shoots down her fair amount. Once the building is clear, an explosion shakes the building as it begins to fall down around her. Falling debris kills the guards along with the other people in the building except for Maiken who manages to survive. She shoots her way out of the debris and finds herself in front of four people with guns in their hands.
“I was hoping to kill you myself,” one of them says.
“I was hoping to kill each one of you as well for what you’ve done,” Maiken responds with her gun raised, “Who are you people and why did you do this?”
“You don’t deserve an answer. You used to be an inspiration to us, but you changed when you didn’t put in the right laws that we asked for.”
“Since I was your inspiration, why don’t you do me a kindness by at least answering my question.”
“We are nobody. Just your average laity who’s fighting for change. If it means anything to you, my name is Ham.”
“I remember your name. I never got to thank you for helping my husband and his brother but now you’ve changed!”
“You are the one who’s changed. We fought for the right to change our planet in what we thought was God’s Will, but things have only gotten worse.”
“That’s not our fault. We’re still tweaking the laws to make them better. Maybe it was all a mistake to begin with.”
“No. You just didn’t do enough. I hope God doesn’t punish you for that.”
Knowing what the group is going to do next, Maiken quickly takes them out with the shotgun part of the rifle though she is shot in the arm and leg. A medical ship along with reinforcements finally arriving. Among the reinforcements is Seth who rushes to Maiken who is being helped by paramedics into the ship.
“Maiken!” Seth yells out as he goes to her side and holds her hand.
“Seth…I’m sorry. Isaac is gone.”
“What?”
“Lieutenant give her some space. She needs medical attention,” one of the paramedics tell him as they take Maiken into a medical ship.
It isn’t until Maiken is stabilized in the hospital that Seth is allowed to talk to her.
“Are you okay, Maiken?”
“I’m fine, Seth. I just need some rest, but that doesn’t mean I can’t talk to the public. I need to say something to them.”
“No, you need to rest.”
“I can’t. Everyone in the capital building died along with our son. An explosion blew him up as I was going to pick him up.”
“I don’t understand. Who would do such a horrible thing as this?”
“I talked to one of the attackers. His name was Ham, one of the people who helped you a year ago.”
“Ham? He was one of the attackers?”
“Yes, he said he did it because we changed. We weren’t putting in the laws he wanted.”
“That’s still no reason for him to do what he did. You think he’d know that from what we went through last year.”
An officer comes into the room and says, “Excuse me for interrupting you two, but you must see this on the news.”
The officer puts on the TV to show that the news is reporting that a colony on Mars is defecting from the Church.
A news reporter says, “A rebel force has taken over a colony on Mars and threatens to take over the planet as a whole. The rebels name themselves the Catholic Church of Mars have defected from the empire and the Church as a whole. They have sent out a message saying that the Church should instate the same laws they have on every planet to give every citizen the true government that God wants the Church to have. We will see if our leaders will comply with rebels, reach an agreement with them, or take back the colony with force. Stay tuned.”
“We have to stop them. All of them,” Maiken says.
“What are you talking about?” Seth asks.
“All of the rebellions. All of the riots.”
“We can’t just stop them all. People are going to fight if they feel like they aren’t going to get their way.”
“Then we have to cut this off at the root. After you stop the rebellion on Mars, then I’ll take away the people’s right to vote.”
“What? We fought so hard to get it and we’re just going to throw it away?”
“Yes. You see the fruits of our labor. It killed our son and so many others. It’s made us fight against our own.”
“The old law made us do the same thing.”
“But not like this. It didn’t have this level of violence and separation. Bring down the rebellion and peace to the Church. Please. For God, the Church, me, and our son.”
“…okay. I’ll do it. I’ll tell everyone about your decision.”
“Don’t tell them about what I said about changing the law. I’ll do it after the battle.”
“Okay. Get some rest in the meantime.”
Seth kisses Maiken before he leaves. He tells the military leaders of the Church what her decision is, and they agree especially after what happened to the capital and all the riots that have resulted in the injuries and deaths of countless people. The Church mobilizes a sizable portion of her forces to retake the colony on Mars by force with Seth and his brother Cadmen leading the assault.
As they fly to Mars, Cadmen tells his brother, “Hopefully this will be the last time we shoot at our own.”
“I hope so too, brother. I hope so.”

No comments:

Post a Comment