Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Suffer with Me: Chapter 5 – Ending the Romantic Tale

Chapter 5 – Ending the Romantic Tale
What’s in the next room?
I don’t see anything. It’s totally dark.
“The only way out is down. Take leap of faith together!”
Is she serious?
When is she not serious about stuff like this?
Ugh. You’re right. Well, here goes nothing.
“Oops. Almost forgot.”
Ah! She stabbed us in the head again. Oof.
That fall wasn’t as big as I thought it would be.
“What did you almost forget?”
“I almost forgot to give you your reward for beating the last challenge, which is the endurance to survive the long fall.”
Dumb bi-
“Is that we had to do?”
“Nope. The endurance is not only for the fall.”
Did you hear something in the darkness?
I did.
“Explain.”
“You’re close to the end and the Wanting here know it. For this next part, you must survive the impeding horde until my little timer runs out or until you kill them all.”
“What?”
“Good luck you two!”
Here they come, Bernardo!
Okay, okay. Remember that killing one kills two, so let’s focus on one at a time.
There are so many!
We didn’t come this far just to die! We have to try to survive! I’ll follow your lead like I did last time.
Jump back! Move left! Right! Punch forward! We got one or two.
See? We got-
Move back! Right! Hit the one in front of us! We got another two!
This is easier than it seems.
Not really. They just keep swinging their blades around so much so that they hit each other.
Hmmm.
Right! Left! Backward! Hit’em! We got another two!
I have an idea. Pick up the dropped blades.
I’ll try! Here. Are you okay?
I can take the pain. What about you?
I’m fine.
Do you have a blade of your own?
Yeah.
Let’s use these to fight them.
How? They’re so big.
Spin around in a circle. We’ll be a dancing blades of death.
I see. Let’s do it. Here we go! Follow my lead.
Right.
Yeah, this is working! We’re getting rid of more of them in this way. Watch out!
Okay, we got this. Just got to keep going…
That’s it.
That’s all of them? Already?
We kill two at a time and they kept swinging desperately at us. It was as if they were off their guard for some reason. Some just accepted death.
That’s strange.
Ms. Mara is here again.
“That was amazing you two! No one has ever survived this long.”
“No one?”
“That’s right! The last challenge had to do with the Wanting, but since you have their blades, they will suffice.”
“What are you going to have us do?”
“You will both chop off a finger from your hand.”
“Where do you come up with this stuff?”
“All kinds of romantic stories. My favorites are the darkest ones.”
I can’t believe her.
Come on, this is the last thing we have to do. I’ll take the pain first.
Okay. Here I go. Hold on!
“AAAAHHHH!”
Heh, that was easier than it seemed.
No, it wasn’t.
Sorry, it’s your turn. Hold-
Just do it!
“MMMMM!!!!”
It’s over.
Thank you, God.
“You two did it! Congratulations on being the first ones to win!”
“We’re the first to win?”
“Yeah. No one that I picked out before has managed to get it this far and I got so many people to the point where I had to stop getting people after a while.”
“After a while? How long have we been down here?
“It doesn’t matter if you were the first ones here or the last. You’ve finally completed your love story! I’m so happy for you two!”
“Can we leave yet?”
“Ye-huh? What do you mean they can’t leave yet?”
“What? Who are you talking to?”
“No, that wasn’t part of the deal! What do you mean you never expected someone to pass the challenges? You had to know true love conquers all! Well if that’s how it’s going to be, then I’m going to end this by myself! I don’t care if you drag me down to Hell, I’m going to protect this true love even if it costs my soul!”
What’s she doing?! She’s reaching down her throat! What the heck? What are these spikes coming out of the ground?
Something below us is trying to stop her. We have to help her so she can beat whatever is really controlling all of this.
I’d hate to do it, but I guess we have no choice. Plus, she’s sacrificing herself for us, so I guess we owe her.
These spikes are ignoring us. They’re easy to break, but there’s so many of them.
I don’t even want to know what’s sending them all out to us. Come on, Mara, just pull out whatever you’re trying to fish for! There it is! She pulled out her own heart!
What the hell?!
She crushed it! Is that light?
“Get out of here you, lovebirds. Be free and live out your love story.”
She’s dead.
Let’s get out of here! I can feel the ground shaking beneath us.
You don’t have to tell me twice. This is a long staircase we have to run up.
It doesn’t matter. Just keep running! I can hear everything falling apart around us.
We’re almost there!
I can feel the warmth of the light. I can smell the fresh air.
Freedom! We made it! Bernardo?
“Hey, I can see!”
“I can talk! We’re not physically connected anymore! Hey! Mmm. Don’t just hug me and spin me around.”
“Why not? We’re finally free.”
“Yeah.”
“So, do you want to give me a shot?”
“I like you. I admit it, okay? But-”
“I’m asking you another yes or no question. Do you love me, Simona?”
“Y-yes, I do-!...Mmm-!”
“Ow!”
“There you go again kissing me out of nowhere!”
“It’s a good thing you can’t feel my pain because that knee in the gut hurt.”
“Oh, get up. I didn’t mean to hurt you that bad.”
“What a way to start a relationship. Do you want to head to my place or yours?”
“Why are you thinking about that? We’re in the middle of nowhere!”
“Well, if we could survive down there, then we can survive up here.”
“I guess.”
“Are you ready to go?”
“Okay, but I’m not holding your hand all the way home.”
“Really? Because you took it as soon as I held it out for you.”
“Shut up.”

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment