Thursday, April 4, 2019

A Sacrifice for the Family: Chapter 4 – Chilling Commander

Chapter 4 – Chilling Commander
We make it back to the execution hill to see that there are no more kids. Walking up the hill. I hope there were some that escaped to somewhere safe. I wonder. “Hey, why are children primarily sacrificed?”
“I think it has to do with how long the benefits for the sacrifice last. I remember hearing that the first child sacrificed was around the age of fourteen, so families will usually sacrifice their third child at or around that age.”
“I see. How do you think we’re going to get past the guards? There are so many of them and I see Zhenxing from here. He’s probably still mad at us for pinning him to the ground with his own spear.”
“I have an idea, but you’re going to have to put all of your trust in me and the cross.”
“I already do so you don’t have to worry about me.” Daiki and I walk around the execution hill while he holds up his cross. It radiates a light that gives away our location, but it also puts a shield around us.
“There you two are! Wait, what is that? That isn’t…”
“You thought this place was a heaven, but none of you can stand this symbol from the true Heaven.” The guards can’t manage to break our shield. Some even cower and run away. We get to the town behind the execution hill safely without a scratch on us. The cross stops glowing once we step foot in town and the shield disappears.
“You’re going to eventually die anyway. I suggest that you beg for a quick death by your executioners.”
“Oh yeah? They’re not going to be able to fight against us with the strength that we have. Right, Daiki?”
“Right! Let’s finish this terrible tradition once and for all!”
“Yeah, let’s.” The people around us look afraid. Some of them are giving us a nasty look, but they won’t do anything probably because the guards can’t do anything. This town looks a lot like where my family is from. The buildings are designed in a very old way, but they look pleasing to look at. From the looks of it, this is a nice town with happy people in it, well, used to be happy. There’s a large tower in the center of the town surrounded by a river. A single bridge connects to it, so Daiki and I go to it and find…wow.
“Hello there, Sakae and Daiki. I’ve been expecting you.”
This commander-looking man has several white heads with black eyes on them that have a weapon or appendage in their mouths. One of the heads even has an eye in its mouth. “Who or what are you?”
“My name is Xietiao. I am the general of the guards here and one of the first in my family to sacrifice myself for them. My family is one who always has their children in the army and law enforcement. We sacrifice our lives for what we love, so I did the same because I care about those who care for me unlike you two.”
 “We aren’t the selfish ones, you are! You people forcefully sacrifice your children for the sake of worldly goods and happiness.”
“Do you really think that the sacrifice of a child is an easy one to make? The sacrifice for the love of your family is the most esteemed way to show them that you love them.”
“You’re making the decision way too easy and simplistic. Real people who dedicate their lives for their family work day and night to do so. They don’t just make a single painless decision that will instantly benefit them and theirs.”
“Silence! You talk a lot for a boy who knew he was going to die an early death. Speaking about that…”
“Look out!” Xietiao shoots out arrows from his one head that has a crossbow. We take cover behind the buildings behind us.
“These heads are the ones that challenged me and failed. You’re going to be added to my collection if you don’t make this easy for everyone and sacrifice yourself back at the execution mountain. Even if you come at me with your shield, I’ll just push you back. You might run out of stamina, but I don’t.”
“There are so few of them despite how many kids were sacrificed. Making it this far must be a miracle. What do you think we should do? Huh? Where are we going?”
I grab Daiki’s hand and lead him away. “Shh. I know what we can do.” I lead him to an archery place where I pick up a crossbow and several arrows. “I saw this place on the way here. I think we can use it against him.”
“That’s a great idea, but I feel like someone else would think about this idea. He might have a counter for this.”
“Maybe, but we could also use the cross at the same time.”
“Oh, that’s right. We have a chance here. Do you know how to use a crossbow?”
“Yup! I won competitions in archery in school. It was one of the available extracurricular activities besides soccer.”
“You played soccer too? It makes sense.”
“What do you mean it makes sense?”
“N-nevermind.”
“Why don’t you say why? You’re not trying to stereotype me because rough people like playing rough sports, are you? Because…if you are, I’m going to have to kick your-”
“Hey, we’re here, so let’s get ready.”
“Ha! So you think your shield and crossbow will defeat me? Ha! Do you see? Your arrows cannot penetrate my defenses!”
“Try touching him with the cross!”
“That sounds like an incredibly dangerous idea, but since I don’t have anything, I’ll go with it!”
“Do you really think that’s going to work? Ah! Where did that blinding light come from? Did it come from the cross? Ah!”
“It’s working! You can’t damage him directly but you can take off his heads! I’ll keep distracting them while you keep hitting him!”
“Right! Take this and this!”
“You’re not going to defeat me that easily! Ah! That blinding light is annoying!”
“Keep hitting him! He’s almost out of heads!”
“And this! Should finish him!”
“I’m not done yet! I’ll tear out your heart with my teeth if I have to!”
“Yeah, yeah. Keep talking, that’s all you can do. Come on. We’re going to end this.”
“No, you can’t! Think about all of the suffering you’ll cause! Ow! How dare you step on my face!”
“How dare you kill so many children! Their lives are nothing but exchanges for your own gain!”
“Get back here so I can make you eat those words!”
“I’m sorry about that. I let my anger get the better of me.”
“No, that was great! I’m amazed you that stood up to Xietiao like that.”
“I guess part of you is rubbing off on me. You that you’re the reason we got this far. If it wasn’t for your energetic spirit, I would’ve just gotten myself executed without even thinking about it.”
“Aww, you’re too sweet. I can’t take all the credit though. If you didn’t have your cross with you, I wouldn’t have been able to escape the spirit mansion.”
“True, but the cross’s pure energy did more than I did. Anyway, we’re here. Are you ready?”

“I’ve been ready ever since I got here. Let’s go!”

No comments:

Post a Comment