Tuesday, April 2, 2019

A Sacrifice for the Family: Chapter 2 – Appalling Apparitions

Chapter 2 – Appalling Apparitions
“Hmm. This should be the right way. Staying away from the mountain should lead us somewhere that could help us.”
“That sounds right, but are you sure we’re going the right way? I’m not even sure if there’s an end to this world since it all looks the same. Did we go in circles by any chance?”
“I’m sure that we’re making some kind of positive progress.” I hope. “Let’s make the walk less boring by talking more. Tell me more about your life back home.”
“Okay. I was gifted everything as I said, so I didn’t get out much and didn’t have any friends at least offline. I read manga and theology books, played video games, and watched a lot of horror movies. Sometimes, I played with my brothers and sisters who were jealous, but also not at the same time because of what I had to do. They both admired me and were jealous.”
“That sounds like a decent life for someone who is born to be sacrificed. My family was loving but strict with me. Go to college, do your homework, get scholarships, do internships, blah, blah, blah. I wish I could do what you did all day. Hey, when we’re out of here, let’s meet up! Where do you live?”
“I haven’t memorized my address since I’ve never had a reason to, but I know that I live in Philadelphia, PA on…South street? There’s a park and a line of stores near a dinner close to where I live. My house is on the corner. I’m sorry if that’s not the best description”
“I know where that is! You live down the street from me!”
“That’s great and somewhat coincidental. You said you have seven brothers and sisters? That means your parents already had a replacement for you.”
“What do you mean? They didn’t act like I was replaceable.”
“It’s a tradition for the families involved in this practice to have seven children in total since the number seven is the perfect number. My family and the other families I know do this to increase their wealth. Your family is doing the same.”
“Since you know more about this than I do, I guess you’re telling the truth. They lied to me my entire life for their own gain?”
“Hey, hey, hey! Don’t cry! It’s going to be okay. There are other kids like you, so don’t feel alone in this. I’m going to help you get through this.”
“Oh, that’s right, there are other people here like me! Why was I thinking so selfishly just about myself? I can’t wait to get out of here and give my parents and their parents a piece of my mind! Thank you for the reminder, Daiki. Let’s go!”
“I’m glad you’re reinvigorated, Sakae. Let’s continue forward and prove our parents and these demons wrong!”
After walking further for a bit, we find a weird mansion. “What do you think is in there? I’m feeling a cold breeze coming from it.”
“I’m feeling it too. Let’s go in there. Maybe it will hold a clue as to how to escape here.”
“It feels so weird in here. It kind of feels the same as when I first entered this dimension.” Daiki is oddly quiet of all times. I barely hear his footsteps. “What do you think? Daiki?”
“Daiki? Where did you go? Daiki!”
“Daiki is no longer here with you, Sakae.”
“Who are you, and what did you do to Daiki?” I feel like I’ve seen this spirit’s face before.
“You should know me. I am your great-grandfather after all.”
“I remember now. I’ve seen your picture and grave. Is it really you great-grandpop?”
“It is, Sakae. You might not remember me because you were an infant when I died.”
 “What are you doing here, and where did my friend go?”
“This dimension is where the families who sacrifice their third child go. We live in harmony together, so why won’t you join us?”
“I’m sorry (not really), but I’m not going to be doing that. This is wrong, great-grandpop. How could you be a part of this tradition?”
“How could I? How could you not want to be? The sacrifices of our ancestors have guaranteed the continued success and happiness of our family for generations. Don’t make the mistake of resisting us. Otherwise, we’ll have to give you a painful death.”
“Get away from me. If my family so easily sacrifices the lives of their children, then I’d rather not be related to you.” I run away from my great-grandpop and further into the building. Maybe there’s a secret here I can find that will lead me to an exit. Dang. A door locks behind me as I enter a room.
“Look at me, Sakae. Do you really want to let me down?”
“Grandma?!”
“Yes, it’s me. You know that I would never do anything to you if I knew it wasn’t good for you. Please, Sakae, do it for the family. Don’t you hear their suffering?”
“No, I will not. I thought I knew you, grandma! I thought you were one of the greatest people ever! But now I know that’s a lie!”
“You can’t run away from here, dear. Once you’re inside, you stay in here until we say you can leave.”
“What?!”
“That’s right, and that boy you came in with? When a child enters this house, they enter the mansion of their family, therefore, you two are eternally separated until you give in to us.”
“I’ll never give in to you!” I bust down the door and try breaking down the front door with whatever I can find. “Come on already! You can’t keep me in here without me wrecking up the place.”
“Stop it already!”
“Oh no. Big brother. You’re here too?”
“All of our family is going to be here in this heaven eventually. You know our family will suffer if you don’t sacrifice yourself, so why are you being so selfish? I thought my little sister was better than that.”
“Stop messing with my head!” Sacrifice yourself. Do it for us. Do it for the people you love. Don’t you love your family? They’re in my head! I can’t control myself. Do it. Sacrifice yourself. We love you. Do it for us, Sakae!
“Hehehe. Okay, I’ll do it.” That’s not me talking. You can’t make me do this! You have no choice. You have to! You’ll learn later that you made the right decision. Someone help me! Oh? Daiki is here! How did he get here?
“Hey, Daiki. How did you get here?” We’ll possess him with a kiss. Hey, don’t do that! I barely know him! You can get to know him better when you’re here. Don’t come near me, Daiki. Save yourself!
“Are you feeling okay, Sakae? You don’t seem the same. Your skin looks whiter too.”
“I’m not feeling so good. Can you come over here? I need your help.”
“Oh, ah. Sure.”
He’s going to fall for it. Prepare for your first kiss, Sakae. No, stop it! I can’t move my lips. I can’t make any noise. I’m sorry, Daiki, for putting you in this mess and for making you think we had a chance of escaping.
“Ah ha!”
“AAAHHHH!!!”
“Are you okay?”
“Wow! That was amazing! Where did you get that exorcism cross from?”
“Oh, this? I carried it with me in here. It’s always been something that has protected me, so I thought it would protect me in the afterlife as well. Ah, you’re welcome.”
I just gave him a big hug. “I cannot thank you enough. I thought we were goners for sure. Did you find a way out of here on your end?”
“I did actually. I made one of my relatives talk before I sent them packing. They said to go behind the execution mountain and into the town. That’s where we’re going to find the master of this tradition, meaning the one who started it all. If I can get this cross there, it should break the seal and free everyone from this place.”
“That’s amazing! Now, hurry, let’s get out of here before any more of our dead relatives attack us.” We quickly leave the building and head back to the execution hill.

I can’t wait to see the one who started this all and smack them across the head!

No comments:

Post a Comment