Monday, February 18, 2019

Blood, Honor, and Time Volume 3 - Chapter 1 - The Consequences of Having Too Much Power


Every man's work shall be manifest; for the day of the Lord shall declare it, because it shall be revealed in fire; and the fire shall try every man's work, of what sort it is.” - 1 Corinthians 3:13
Chapter 1 – The Consequences of Having Too Much Power
I don’t know what’s up with today, but it feels off. I haven’t heard from Tunc in a while so another one of my challenges might be coming soon. It’s been a few years since we last spoke. That was when I was getting all three of the cultures to trust me. I succeeded and there has been relative peace throughout the world with the exception of a low crime rate, which I don’t think I can completely get rid of. I guess I can’t have everything be perfect. People will be people.
While eating breakfast, my wife, Donna asks me, “Is something the matter, Benedetto? You’ve been staring blankly at things ever since you woke up.”
“Oh, it’s nothing. I just have a weird feeling about today. That’s all.”
I try my best to smile for Donna to make her feel better, but she still seems concerned.
“I know what might help you feel better.”
“No, Donna. We already have seven kids and you already convinced me to have them. It’s the perfect number after all.”
“No, that’s not what I’m talking about though you must’ve read the part of my mind that wanted that. No. I want us to take a vacation. You’ve been doing nothing but repetitive work for the past few years. Even dragon hunting and the many other quests you’ve been going on have been getting boring. They don’t hold a candle to taking down the central government or getting all the cultures to trust you.”
“These past few years might as well have been a vacation for how slow and easy going they were.”
“We have to do something together. Maybe we can solve some of the problems that our Sparrows are dealing with. You can’t use your massive super army to solve everything.”
“That’s why I have trusted people doing some of the hard work.”
“You can’t always trust those girls with the power you’ve given them especially Bonito.”
“She’s a good strategist. Besides, all she wants to be is just a person to help her people after I asserted myself to her and the other girls.”
“I still don’t trust them being around you.”
“Hey, they haven’t tried to get touchy for years now. There’s nothing to worry about from them.”
“What’s wrong then?”
“I don’t know. I just have a feeling that something’s wrong.”
“Maybe it’s because we’re eating alone or the cooking. The food doesn’t taste as good because your parents and Volante had a hand in it. No offense to the chiefs.”
The chiefs don’t take much offense to it since Volante’s one of the best cooks in the area. My parents and Volante have been off on their vacation for a while after I allowed them it, which sounds weird now that I think about it.
Donna continues, “Speaking about old friends, Corso and Stella haven’t been in contact for a while now. You aren’t concerned about them, are you?”
“No, not at all. They can take care of themselves.”
“There’s nothing for you to be worried about then. Our children are safe here too if you’re worried about them eventually going out into the world. You can always go back in time to fix things if things go wrong, right?”
“I could.”
“That hasn’t happened already, has it?”
“No, it hasn’t.”
“Benedetto.”
“What?”
“Look at me.”
I look into Donna’s comforting eyes. She softly smiles at me in silence before she says, “Everything is fine.”
‘Or is it?’
Tunc?
“What happened, Benedetto? Is Tunc saying something to you that’s concerning? What is your next big challenge to overcome?”
“Hold on.”
What’s going on, old friend? I’ve been feeling anxious lately for no reason that I can think of. Is something happening that I should know about? Tunc?
Before I know it, a bloody bag flies into the window and splatters blood across the nice floors that I just had cleaned not too long ago. Donna looks back it just in time for it to explode. She lands on top of me with burns across her back. What a time to not be wearing your special armor that I had such a hard time in getting you.
“I need a healer! Donna needs help!” I scream to my doctor in my house as several other explosions rock the house and destroyed it.
My armors master brings me my armor and weapons while I can hear my troops engage whoever the enemy is. The messengers should be sending out requests for help from nearby and far away Sparrows. I go outside to see my hometown in flames with bodies everywhere some of them being civilians. My Sparrows are fighting knights in crimson golden armor and goat demons. Since teleportation magic has been developed, more of my soldiers come pouring in. They fight for me, but I get hit from attackers who are invisible. My Sparrows use their heat-seeking magic to take these people out.
The battle is going relatively well until explosions, fire, and arrows rain from the sky. This attack came from outside the city and definitely not from my forces since they wouldn’t kill their own. The only reason why I survive the attack is because of the people that take the hit for me. I still take heavy injuries from the attack. Everyone in town is either dead or injured. I’m somewhere in between, but I still stand up tall with my Sparrow’s flag to support me. I should’ve probably taken out the arrows from me first, but this is fine. I deserve this for not preparing for it. If I die now, I want to show them that I died standing even though I’m going to reset time once I die. Here comes another barrage. I’m ready to accept death.
Huh?
“Donna?”
Donna is back up and has just protected me with two shields with an additional one on her back. She’s still injured and obviously on her last legs, but she’s using it to protect me. Donna smiles before lightly kissing me and falling over on me. Even though I’ve gotten stronger, I’m too weak to hold her up right now and we both fall down together. Another barrage is coming in. I guess this is a good way for my first death to be. I hold Donna as I wait for death to take me. Huh? The barrage stops before it hits the town. More of my Sparrows come in and destroy the artillery and the remaining enemies. Thank you, God, for your saving hand.
‘You’re blessed to have gathered so many supporters.’
I am, but it still wasn’t enough to protect the people in the town.
‘You were always going to be pushed to your limits. Did you really think your job as a hero would always be easy?’
I didn’t think it would get this bad.
‘It had to in order to give you a real challenge. You have enough power, resources, and influence to deal with it.’
You’re right. I do.
‘Then deal with it. You have my sympathies.’
Thank you.
This place is an absolute disaster. I’ll have to deal with this situation as soon as I’m able to move without much pain. I wonder what was in that bag that got thrown through my window. It can’t be anything good, but I have to see…
“Those bastards are going to pay! Every last one of them!” I scream out loud at the sight of what’s in the bag.
‘I told you, you have my sympathies.’
I didn’t know it was for this!
‘Of course they were going to go after your closest family and friends. You should probably check on your kids.’
Oh crap! I almost forgot.
‘How do you almost forget?’
Now’s not the time!
I go to the metal safety shelter that I have made for them to see all seven of them safe and sound. Thank you, God! If only I can keep them safe like this forever. I kiss them all on the head multiple times. Oh no…
“Ah!” I say as I wake up in a tent.
“Calm down, Benedetto! You’re safe now and so are your children and wife,” a healer says as they heal me with their magic.
“Thanks be to God.”
Mom…dad…Volante…Stella…Corso…I swear I’ll avenge you.
‘Now you seem to really care about them.’
What are you talking about?
‘You put them in the background once you became a hero. Donna, being a celebrated hero, and your quests made you forget them when they weren’t in view.’
Don’t be so absurd.
‘It’s true. How come you weren’t with them on their vacation? When’s the last time you spent quality time with them?’
I was with them in my time off.
‘And how did you spend that time? You were doing your hero business with them standing there in the background. Sure, you gave them recognition, but that’s it. They were barely side characters in your story.’
I still…
‘Chose the life of a high and mighty hero over a simple and one.’
This is the best I could do for them. They were happy.
‘You saw them happy when you were with them. They definitely understood why you were so busy all the time and why you married Donna, but it doesn’t mean they didn’t miss the old you.’
What could’ve I done to make things better?
‘You could’ve just married Stella. I’ve seen that story play out before. The low-class hero starts with nothing and makes their way into the ranks of the best heroes. You had it better than other heroes when you started out. You could’ve used that plus your cunning to beat your challenges and get to this same point in time. It might’ve even been a better present with your family and friends alive, and the town still standing. Lucky for you, you can see that happen. Do you want to reset time back to the start?’
…I don’t.
‘What?! Did you become some selfish prick when I wasn’t watching? Most of what you held dear is dead and destroyed. Don’t you want to bring them back to life?’
I deserve this…
‘Oh no, don’t write yourself this kind of story. “I’m going to create pity for myself so my story can seem more heroic and braver”. You can’t always neglect your time controlling blessing because you want an increase in ability. Just use them already.’
It’s not like that. Let everyone who cared about me stay in Heaven. They’re going to be happier up there than with me. If I did this to them because of my pride and weakness, then let it be. I need to do this penance.
‘Oh come on, don’t be so hard on yourself.’
I’m all better now and I’m going to fix the mess I made. Tell my family I’m sorry for not being there for them and neglecting them.
‘Benedetto…’
Please. Just do it.
‘Okay, I will.’
I get up from the bed in the tent once the healers finish their treatment.
“Are you sure you want to be up right now, Benedetto?” a healer asks.
“I need to be.”
I go to where Donna is resting. She’s heavily injured and doesn’t look like she’s going to be ready to move for a day or two even with our best healers. She still looks beautiful all things considered.
Donna opens her eyes and smiles. She holds my face and says, “I’m glad you’re still alive, Benedetto, my love.”
“I’m even more glad that you’re alive too. I can’t stand to lose anyone else.”
I then explain to her what happened.
“I’m so sorry. Your family, Volante, and even Stella and Corso were some of the best family I’ve had. Oh, you’re not going to reset time to save them?”
“No, I’m not. I deserve this for putting them off to the side and disregarding them.”
“Don’t worry about that if you can fix it. What was the event that you could change so you can save them?”
“Meeting you.”
“What?”
“If I didn’t meet you and used that shortcut, then things would’ve been different.”
“…Change it.”
“Donna…”
“You can always marry me again, Benedetto. Do it to save your family.”
“If I change it, we probably won’t get married. I’d have to fulfill my promise to Stella if I went back.”
“I don’t want to say anything mean about her since she just died, but you know what I’m thinking.”
“Heh, you know when we first met, I didn’t like you. I wanted to find a way to get out of our arranged relationship. I’m not sure if it’s because you smothered me in so much love or because of your personality, but you took my heart. I’m not going to cower away from the consequences of my choices.”
“Then let me help you.”
“You’re in no condition to.”
“Then let me be your shield. I’m not going to let you get in danger without me.”
“No, Donna and that’s final. I need to do this by myself. You can join later when you’ve made a full recovery.”
“Benedetto-”
“Knowing me, I’ll complete this challenge in no time, so there’s nothing to worry about. Trust me. I love you, Donna.”
I give Donna a kiss before leaving.
“Benedetto! Healers, get me back to normal quicker!”
Haha, of course she’d be like that. Tunc?
‘I told your family what you said and how you felt. They trust in your course of action.’
Thank you. Now, let’s get to work old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment