Tuesday, June 12, 2018

The Left side of Right - Chapter 1 - Temptations of Power

Chapter 1 – Temptations of Power
Who doesn’t commit sin? Who isn’t a hypocrite especially in our younger years? In Diana’s mind, she’s the last person you would consider a hypocrite. She does what she says she will and keeps her promises, unlike her parents and teachers. Her parents have arranged her marriage with a young man who owns a small business. The young man’s family promises Diana a good life since their business does well, and they own a nice house. They also have a sufficient amount of wealth, and the family is friends with the Church. Diana stormed out of the house and ran away into the forest. Diana’s family assures the young man’s that Diana will be back, however, the family’s dog runs after her.
While running away and collecting herself in the forest, she stumbles upon the statue of the Blessed Mother in a small cave. The young man’s dog catches up to Diana and barks at her while licking her hands. Annoyed by the pet, she kicks it into a tree, which heavily injuries it. People make pilgrimages here to visit this statue in the cave, but Diana has never seen her prayers answered, so she knocks it over, which breaks it. The back of the small cave stretches out then sucks in Diana into it, but not the dog. Diana flies through a tunnel filled with angels and demons who battle over souls to take them either to Heaven or Hell.
While she flies through the tunnel, her body changes. Her hair and dress are now made of snakes. Part of her dress is now a velvety red and her socks are now red stockings. Her arms, legs, and waist are now slightly separated from each other, but she is still somehow alive. Her left eye is now black with a red heart in it and right eye is now golden with a black star in it. After her transformation is complete, she emerges from a mountain and into a dimension that appears to be cut in space and time. Several islands share the same space while others are cut off by rifts in the ocean. As she flies through the sky, Diana sees boats flying across these rifts before landing back into the sea. There are also people flying in the sky like her, but they look different. There are people who have appearances that make them look like bats, demons, angels, bees, hawks, or other such flying creatures. They watch Diana as she continues to fly through the sky until a young woman, like herself with the appearance of a butterfly, catches her.
“Are you new here?” the girl says with a smile.
“Yes, I am. Do the new people always fly eastward like this?” Diana responds.
“Haha, yes they do.”
The girl who has the appearance of a butterfly has golden wings, hair, and dress. She even has a yellow eye with a golden diamond in it. The dress she wears has part of it cut on the bottom to reveal the golden garter belt strap on her leg as if the diamond cut in the center of her dress wasn’t enough of an attention getter.
She lowers Diana to the ground while saying, “To fight against this strong force, you must orient yourself against it.”
“How am I going to do that?” Diana asks.
“It’s just like fighting against the current of a river or the waves of an ocean.”
The girl slowly lets go of Diana as she attempts this, and Diana manages to get both of her feet firmly planted on the ground. Diana feels her body fight against the natural forces of the dimension, which makes her feel like she’s walking for the first time.
“My name is Helen.”
“Nice to meet you, Helen. My name is Diana.”
“Walk around a bit to get used the feeling of being here. Tell me, what’s your reason for being here?”
“My family tried marrying me off to a small business family,” Diana says as she walks back and forth.
“That’s horrible though I personally wouldn’t mind too much because of the money.”
“I understand that, but I wish I had more freedom than I already have.”
“Then you’re in the perfect location. This is where people like us can enjoy true freedom. You can live in whatever reality or kingdom that shares your values or you can make your own or you can overthrow one.”
“A reality or kingdom?”
“You see how the sea separates the infinite islands here? Each one is its own separate kingdom and reality. What’s makes each special is that their environments and morals are dictated by a single ruler. This ruler can also decide what Heaven and Hell look like and they can send whoever they want there or they can also take them out, but they cannot take someone out of another reality’s version of Heaven and Hell.”
“That’s incredible! Wait, did I land on a reality that has a good ruler?”
“The ruler here is okay. I’ve lived in this reality long enough to see her go through good phases and bad.”
“You’re not the ruler, are you?”
“I sometimes get that, but no, I’m not. I do look like royalty, don’t I?”
“Your golden butterfly appearance seems to say so.”
“Heh, well actually your appearance is more fitting of a ruler.”
“Really?”
“I’ll explain along the way back to the city. How does your body feel?”
“I think I’m used to being here now.”
“Let’s go then.”
Helen leads Diana back to her home in the city. They walk through the lush forest of the island while they walk, which has streams flowing through it and small animals wandering around.
“Why does my appearance suggest that I’m a ruler?”
“You have a heart in your eye.”
“I do?”
Diana looks at her reflection in a nearby stream while walking.
“What does the heart mean?”
“It means that you know what kind of love to use on people. You could say it’s the most important personality trait of a ruler.”
“What about the diamond in your eye?”
“This means I’m a wise person that plans ahead.”
“We both share yellow eyes with a black star in it. What does that mean?”
“It means we control our fate. No one can tell us what to do and we alone decide what to do with our lives. Everyone here in this dimension has this same eye.”
“Do my snakes mean anything? Wait, are these alive?”
“I’ve seen few people with snakes as their appearance and even fewer with it coupled with the eye heart. Those snakes mean you are cunning, strong, and independent. They protect you from harm by deflecting incoming attacks that you see and don’t see. I’ve seen ones that cause paralysis in people and others that poison. Yours appears to be the ones that poison. Your entire appearance screams that you are destined to be a ruler.”
“And yours doesn’t?”
“I could be an advisor or strategist but not a ruler. You, on the other hand, could become one of the greatest rulers this dimension has known.”
“I don’t think I will. I just got here after all. All I want is a life that I decide how to live.”
“You can do that as a ruler. No one will dare take away the life you rightfully deserve.”
“My answer is no and that’s final, Helen.”
“Okay. I know this is a lot for you your first day here. I’ll let you settle in with me at my house.”
“Thank you.”
“It’s the least I can do for a friend.”
Helen and Diana arrive at the kingdom Helen lives in. It’s a mass city with humongous walls surrounding it. The houses and buildings inside the city are very medieval in style. The statues around the city depict various battles, acts of conquering, liberation, and wise rulers. People around this city appear to be happy with a comfortable atmosphere that feels very welcoming and they even say hi to Helen and Diana as they pass by. Helen’s house appears to be like the rest of the houses here except for the little adjustments she made to it. Helen has various ornaments and statues on the roof of the house and on the face of it that gives it a castle-like look. No other house near hers looks the same or as eye-catching.
Once inside Helen’s house, Diana asks her, “Did you decorate the house yourself?”
“Of course I did. No one else can fly or decorate like I can. I’ve gotten many compliments for my unique style. I’ve obtained everything I have here from many different realities.”
“How did you pay for it all?”
“I didn’t need to pay for all of it. There are some realities where everything is free so why not go there to go shopping especially with my wings?”
“So what do you do in the city?”
“Nothing too interesting. I talk to people, tell them what’s going on in other realities, and make friends.”
“You must be a popular person around here.”
“Ha, you could say that. I know everything that happens around here. Speaking of that, you should come with me to see this special event the ruler is having in the center of the city.”
“Since I got nothing better to do, I might as well.”
“Good. You’ll like it.”
Crowds of people gather to the center of the city along with Helen and Diana. Once there, Diana gets a bad feeling from what’s being said in the crowd along with the setup. From everything around her, it appears that everyone is here to watch an execution.
“Helen, are we honestly here to watch someone get killed?”
“No one dies here, Diana. You are only knocked unconscious no matter how bad your injuries get. You can lose your head and come alive the next day. I’ve seen it. It’s just that when you’re unconscious because of injuries that would kill someone can your soul be moved to either Heaven or Hell.”
“So that’s what we’re watching?”
“It is.”
Three people in chains step up on the stage in the center of the city followed by three executioners.
“Why are you showing me this?”
“Because you need to see how this reality works first hand.”
An announcer tells the audiences what the crimes are of the guilty. One person kept bringing people to other realities, another person acted out their own morality, and the last one is a girl who wanted to see what the inside of the castle was like but was caught. They are executed and by the power of the ruler, they are sent to this reality’s version of Hell.
“What is this version of Hell supposed to look like?” Diana asks Helen.
“It’s a frozen wasteland just like the bottom of the real Hell is said to be. The ruler of this reality is going through another rough patch since not that many people respect her. Everyone that lives here and those who just pass by here suffers because of that and are sent to Hell when she thinks they cross her. We have to do something about it.”
“But what am I going to do?”
“Follow me and I’ll show you.”
Once they’re far away from the crowd, Helen tells Diana about her plan.
“We’re going to dethrone that tyrant by sticking this through her head.”
Helen transforms her hand into a blade.
“But you’re the one who has to do it, Diana.”
“Why me?”
“Because you have the personality of a ruler. Your appearance says so. I can’t rule because that’s not my role in life. I wouldn’t even be good at it.”
“I thought this place allowed you to be anything you wanted without any restrictions.”
“I never said that. I don’t even want to be a ruler. I’ll be your advisor and we can rule for all eternity.”
“I don’t know about this. It’s too much!”
“Things are boiling over in this kingdom and someone is going to make a move whether it’d be another kingdom or a person from this reality. They could be worse than the current ruler and put even more innocent people in Hell. Are you going to risk that?”
“Would these people even accept me as their ruler?”
“They’d have your appearance, my approval, and the almost prophetic event of you dethroning the tyrant when things are at their worst. Trust me, they’d accept you.”
Diana takes a few moments to think before deciding, “I’ll do it.”
Helen hugs Diana while saying, “Thank you so much, Diana! You’re not going to regret this!”
“I hope not. Now how do I make my hand into a weapon?”
“Just will it.”
Diana wills her arm to be a blade and it transforms into a sharp scythe.
“That's a good choice for a weapon, Diana. Now follow me. The crowd should be dispersing, and the ruler should be heading back to her castle. We’ll meet her there and declare you queen from the castle’s balcony.”
“You really thought through this didn’t you?”
“I have, but I’ve been waiting for someone like you. Like I said your appearance here is almost prophetic.”
Helen leads Diana to this kingdom’s castle. While heading to their destination, Diana catches Helen grinning at times. Helen appears to be holding back her excitement for her opportunity to become what she finally wanted to be. Once the two reach the castle gates, Helen waves at the guards and they let the two in. Diana feels uncomfortable about how comfortable Helen is. She walks around with a smile on her face while greeting the guards who appear to know her plan as well.
Diana asks Helen, “Do they know what’s going on?”
“Most of them do. That’s how bad things are here. It’s no wonder why her highness has been on edge recently when almost everyone talks about her eventual dethroning.”
“How long have you had this plan?”
“Long enough to get the castle guards on my side. Long enough to have the castle memorized like the back of my hand and have several backup plans for various situations in case Plan A doesn’t work.”
“What’s our plan exactly?”
“I’m going to talk to her while you move around her. Then, you’re going to stick your blade through her head. Remember, she won’t die, and you can send her to Heaven or Hell when she’s down.”
“Whew, okay.”
“You’re going to do fine.”
Diana and Helen make it to the throne room where they see the ruler of this reality executing several guards.
“Inpatient idiots,” Helen whispers to herself.
After sending the traitors to Hell, the ruler fixes her hair before putting on a smile and saying, “Oh Helen. I assume you came here to tell me about these traitors.”
Now that Diana has a closer look at the ruler she can see what she really looks like. The ruler has the appearance of a spider, which includes sharp razors coming out of her short dress and web-like stockings and gloves.
Helen bows then says, “Of course, but I didn’t doubt for a second that you couldn’t take care of them.”
“You thought right. Who is this with you? A friend?”
“A new friend, but don’t mind her. She just got here. I wanted her to see one of the best rulers of this dimension.”
Diana bows.
“And what is your name?”
“My name is Diana, your highness.”
“You can call me Princess Rachel or just Rachel when we’re not in public. I’m sure Helen has given you a good idea of what to expect from this dimension and this reality in particular?”
“She has. She’s incredibly helpful.”
“She is indeed. She’s one of the best information gathers around.”
“You are too kind to me, Rachel. I did want to tell you about more possible traitors in the kingdom and in this reality.”
“Fine, but should Diana be with us while we talk?”
“Definitely. The snakes on her body protect her from all attacks coming from all directions so I suggest keeping her close to you.”
“You are a deviously smart one, Helen. I’m sorry you have to be my body shield while we talk, Diana. I’ll make sure you are given whatever compensation you wish.”
“I don’t mind, Rachel. It is an honor.”
Helen smiles at Diana for her good performance in selling her lie and Diana smiles back. As Helen and Rachel sit down in the throne room, Diana stands behind both of them, awaiting a signal of sorts from Helen to execute their plan.
Rachel says, “I’m glad that you take the time to think ahead so that I can rule this reality the way I want.”
“Your interests are mine after all.”
“So you were going to tell me about more traitors amongst us?”
The snakes on Diana’s body come to life and aim their heads at Rachel with their mouths open. Diana moves closer to Rachel and more snakes on her body awaken as if they know when to strike.
“Yes, traitors among us...like me.”
Diana’s snakes bite Rachel, which gives her the opportunity to put her blade through Rachel’s head. Her snakes let go of Rachel once they sense she’s out cool.
“Amazing work Diana! How did you control your snakes?”
“I didn’t. They just did everything by themselves.”
“They’re going to be a better asset to us than I previously thought then. Bring Rachel to the balcony. We have a new ruler to crown.”
Diana brings Rachel to the balcony. People start crowding around the castle as Helen flies around to gather them.
Helen lands next to Diana and says, “Gaze and bow to your new ruler. It is only her first day here and she has dethroned a tyrant ruler and freed us from her rule.”
Helen then turns to Diana and says, “You can now free or trap people in your Heaven and Hell now with your hands.”
Diana moves her hands around and takes out the innocent people she saw executed out of Hell.
“Watch as she grants mercy to those who had it stripped from them!” Helen says to the crowd, “But what will she do with Rachel?”
It takes her a second, but Diana decides to send Rachel to Heaven. People are in shock at this decision.
“Behold!” Helen says, “You wanted a merciful ruler and you have one! Just look at her! She has the appearance of a benevolent ruler who has appeared to us at a time of need. What more could you ask for?”
The crowd starts warming up to Diana. To truly get them to her side, Diana empties her reality’s Hell and puts them all in her Heaven. The crowd then cheers for Diana.
“All hail the new ruler! Queen Diana!” Helen declares.
Diana’s name is chanted as she is now the ruler of a reality. She feels powerful, important, and beautiful all at once. A smile comes to her face as she finally feels free for the first time in her life. Diana then raises her hand in a queenly way to the roaring applause of her kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment