Thursday, May 3, 2018

Unknown for a Reason - Chapter 2 - No Sanctuary, No Help, No Mercy

Chapter 2 – No Sanctuary, No Help, No Mercy
While heading to the police headquarters, I see the true extent that these corpse monsters have accomplished. I even see different types like one that brings the corpses to life. It’s a winged flying flesh thing that comes from the flesh-like materials on the buildings and ground. I have to watch for them since they seem to blend into the environment. There are also dog and cat-like corpses. They hunt for prey and can tell if certain people are playing dead or not. I’ve seen survivors use the movie tactic of covering yourself in blood, but that doesn’t work on these things. These are the two I’ve seen, but I’ve seen other types in the dark. I’ve been keeping my distance from all these monsters since there are so many of them out here. There are times, however, that I wish I didn’t. There are still survivors out here and I’m allowing them to die by not helping them though this might be for the better. As soon as someone gets spotted, corpses from at least a block away notice and come after them then slowly the rest of the city has their scent.
These few survivors are “useful” in getting to where I need to. I hated using that word to describe them, but it’s the only one I could think of. Now, I’m finally at the police headquarters, which I found because of a few map guides put around the city. That and the building is huge and says, “Authority Headquarters” on it with flickering lights. From the outside, I can already tell this is going to be a good time since it looks like there was a huge last stand here. The front door is blocked by debris, so I go around the side and this side is locked. I cut my way in and see that the place is mostly empty save for one or two corpses per room. Even on the higher floors, there aren’t many corpses. I guess whatever wrecked this place must’ve chased their prey. I hope Nova isn’t one of the victims here nor one of the corpses outside.
The fight here must’ve been something crazy with how much this place has been torn up. The severed limbs and heads here are nothing but bits and pieces-wait, these don’t come back to life too, do they? I poke at it a bit and they don’t do anything, which is a great thing. I swear I can hear the screams from the fight that must’ve happened here or is that something that’s happening outside? Is the announcement system still working? Because I’m hearing static.
Further up on the top floor, I find a video message hologram when I check out the head officer’s desk. It’s from Nova and my crew. They appear to have been here when the big fight here happened since they’re going around the station getting it ready for something.
Nova looks into the digital camera and says, “Hey, good luck charm. It’s me again if you already found our first message.”
“Shut that thing off Nova, I’m sure everything around you tells him what he needs to know,” Ben says while he’s loading people’s guns.
“If you don’t find us here, we’ll probably take shelter at the nearby church. It’s big and heavily fortified.”
“Hurry up! The Carrion is coming,” an officer in the background says.
“I left something in a closet in this room for you. I know you’ll make good use of it. Stay safe honey.”
“Someone get those turrets working!” another officer says.
I catch a glimpse of them starting the firefight before the video closes. The turrets in this building aren’t working? Looking around the office, I see that the defense turrets are out, but aren’t operational. At least they aren’t covered in that flesh-like substance. Carrion is the name that the people of this place called these corpse things? I guess it fits them. They do have beak-like faces and even act like crows.
Is something in this room moving? I quickly look around as I hear something move around. It sounds fleshy like the Carrion, but different and smaller. Nova said there was something in a closet? Here it is. Oh! She really does know me best. Nova left me attachments I could use on my gun to make it into a shotgun and a submachine gun. She knows that I can modify tools to make them into guns. I put it all together and now my gun has four modes; pistol, welding, shotgun, and submachine gun. Let’s try the shotgun mode for this situation. Stepping out of the head officer’s room, I look around and notice that the limbs on the floor aren’t there. One catches my eye as it turns a corner. With my gun raised, I follow it and see it joining itself to one large Carrion that’s made of mangled bones, limbs, and heads. It turns its head to me.
“Oh, I’m sorry. Did I interrupt something private?” I say before shooting it in the face or rather one of its faces.
My shotgun tears through multiple limbs, but that’s not enough. Every piece of it acts independently and wants to kill me. I keep shooting it until the body falls apart. I then switch to the submachine gun function and the gun transforms into a submachine gun that I use to clean up the remaining limbs. The Carrion scream from outside and echo throughout the city. The turret control room better be close. I search for direction and eventually find my way to the turret control room. The door leading to it leads to another hallway, which might be useful. I weld the door behind me then go into the turret control room to see three turrets I can set up. Just in time too as the Carrion are trying to break through the hallway door. After quickly setting them up, I weld the door to the turret control room and look around to see what the problem with the turrets is. All the wires in the turret control system seem to be messed up. Maybe if I rearrange them in a certain way. The Carrion are getting torn up by my turrets outside. Perhaps I won’t need to repair-and the turrets stopped firing. Come on, come on, blue, green, red, purple, light blue, who thought it was a good idea to make these wires similar colors? And…there we go! The monitor in this room lights up and so does the control board. I quickly activate the ceiling turrets outside the room then activate the turrets inside the building then the ones outside. Now, if only I could have a bag of popcorn as I sit and watch the Carrion get slaughtered outside. It’s entertaining as they mindlessly charge at the building. Some of them try to destroy the turrets or find another way into the building, but they get shot to pieces anyway. This is great! I can just sit back, relax, and-hey is there something wrong with the power? Oh yeah, this place is running on limited power…
Well, that was fun, but now it’s time to leave. The bottom floors are a no go now since the entire city is awake and attacking it. Damn it. There has to be an alternate exit. Oh! What about the sewers? I go to the lowest floor and find an emergency exit that leads to the sewers. The turrets have cleared up any Carrion down here, so I should be safe. In case there are any sewer versions of the Carrion, I take the closest exit which should also be safe. Once I leave the sewers, I see that the Carrion is still assaulting the building. The outside turrets should be running low on energy soon and the inside turrets won’t last that long either, so I better get to the church asap. Nova, I hope you’re still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment